IGNORED

Travel Cover

Steveyacht

I'm looking for recommendations for a lightweight, half cover for when I'm travelling. Something to keep dew, rain, dirt and other stuff from landing on the bike when at hotels.  I have a 2023 R1250RT.  Used to have these for several bikes in the past, would be nice to get one for the new bike.

Thanks in advance for your help,

S

I use the BMW Large Half Cover , packs up small very sturdy fits over all the bags on my R1200RT including top box 

$49 

• Like 1

Another vote for the nelson rigg  1/2  covers. I have used them for the last 10 years on  both bikes. Hard to beat and fold up small.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Steveyacht said:

I'm looking for recommendations for a lightweight, half cover for when I'm travelling. Something to keep dew, rain, dirt and other stuff from landing on the bike when at hotels.  I have a 2023 R1250RT.  Used to have these for several bikes in the past, would be nice to get one for the new bike.

Thanks in advance for your help,

S

I have used one of these on my RT with no problems.  The size A fits my 23 RT with top case.  Made in the USA and a great product.

https://eztouring.com/product/the-traveler-motorcycle-cover/

• Plus 1 1
3 hours ago, Steveyacht said:

That is exactly the one I have on my list!

Hey, I have a quick question about your cover.  Is there a flannel or other soft lining to help protect the windscreen when installed?

Thanks!!!

Steve

Either the Nelson Rigg UV 2000 ( XL fits our RT's well) or the BMW half cover are excellent half covers. I have run both. Pretty much equal. BMW cover has those letters on the front...which helps figure which is the front when putting it on. None of these lightweight covers have any flannel or other backing. Not needed for windshields anyway as they fit tight and don't move around ( do not trailer a bike with a cover on it...). 

I have put these covers away wet and forgot to take them out after a trip. Never any problems with them. As much for security as protection, but it is nice to have stuff start out dry in the morning. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Steveyacht said:

Hey, I have a quick question about your cover.  Is there a flannel or other soft lining to help protect the windscreen when installed?

Thanks!!!

Steve

No flannel or lining.  I have not had any problems with scratching the windscreen.  I have always had an aftermarket screen on the bike (CeeBailey and now Werks Quiet Ride).  Best - Doug

• Like 1

For a related question, I've been looking at the various options shared here and am wondering if a travel cover is something I'd use. I've never used one in the past for any of my bikes, but I can evolve if there is a benefit. So my question is, what about the bugs and grime on the bike from a day or several days riding? I don't spend time washing or cleaning my bike on a trip unless it gets seriously filthy by some chance like a muddy construction zone or such. Do those who cover their bikes clean them first, or do you just toss the cover over the detritus and hide it. Seems that a cover over grime is likely to be more harmful than just leaving it uncovered.

Just throw the cover on! Don't make too much of it. It is there to keep others eyes off the bike. To keep the sun off it. To keep stuff under it drier, although in heavy rain it is certainly not waterproof. Just better than without it! These weigh almost nothing. Very easy and quick to roll/fold up and tuck away. Take very little room.

• Plus 1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2023 at 5:06 PM, Steveyacht said:

Thanks!!!

Steve

I use an old T-shirt that my wife has customized to fit the windshield.  Have one sized for each windshield.   Works like a champ.   Got that idea from Wing guys.

The dried bug corpses act as spacers, holding the cover off the shield.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it .  Never had scratches from a cover.

image.png.896c88d0eb1c55d9baa14b3b3935aa66.png

• Haha 1
On 6/24/2023 at 1:12 AM, RTinNC said:

I use an old T-shirt that my wife has customized to fit the windshield.  Have one sized for each windshield.   Works like a champ.   Got that idea from Wing guys.

THAT! Is a great Idea!  Thank you

• Like 1