IGNORED

2013 R1200 Heat

Hadabadachada

Hadabadachada

Wasn’t too sure what to think on the information I turned up about running heat, so I’m making my own post.

so on the 2013 screen, you have the temp bar, looks like it has like 8 bars max. What is too hot?

in Miami, the bike runs typically at 4 to 5 bars, like in the photo (4) usually 5.  When traffic is slow, it can go to 6 bars, (one below the next marker) 

what is too hot?

6 seems like it’s getting high. 
but what is “high” or “too hot” ? when the whole graph is full? 

when it’s at 6 and I’m pulling up to another red light, I’m tempted to turn it off! 
is that being too worrisome?

5313F6DF-3DC5-4A8F-A5BE-48B569CAA754.jpeg

6 hours ago, Hadabadachada said:

Wasn’t too sure what to think on the information I turned up about running heat, so I’m making my own post.

so on the 2013 screen, you have the temp bar, looks like it has like 8 bars max. What is too hot?

in Miami, the bike runs typically at 4 to 5 bars, like in the photo (4) usually 5.  When traffic is slow, it can go to 6 bars, (one below the next marker) 

what is too hot?

6 seems like it’s getting high. 
but what is “high” or “too hot” ? when the whole graph is full? 

when it’s at 6 and I’m pulling up to another red light, I’m tempted to turn it off! 
is that being too worrisome?

Morning  Hadabadachada

Good question & probably one with no defined answer.  

Too hot is when the engine starts sounding like a barrel full of chains being shaken.  

I haven't owned an 1200R (owned an 1100 & 1150R) so can't really tell you how to use the dash temp gauge for anything more than a suggestion.

BMW is pretty tight lipped about how hot is too hot but keep in mind that riders all over the world ride their BMW's in a lot hotter conditions than you are currently riding in & you never hear of BMW 1200 engine damage due to running too hot. 

Even the 1200R riders manual gives very limited info on temperature gauge bars vs too hot. Those 2 little short lines on the gauge are typically considered the normal range. 

I'm not sure if the temperature gauge on that 1200R starts to flash if it is too hot or not (manual doesn't mention it).

My though is, if you see the dash temp gauge topped out & it doesn't go back down a couple of bars after you start moving again  then maybe start worrying.   

Just keep your oil cooler fairly free of mud & dead bugs & you shouldn't have any issues. 

When I had my oil head  I worried about temperature, but as DR said it never failed me. Only a couple of times did I get nervous enough to shut it down. In Houston temps are way above 100F during the summer. If I was stopped and not moving for more than 5 minutes and temps above 105, I would shut it off until traffic started moving. You could here it start to ping and that was my signal it was getting hot. 

Hadabadachada

I feel like the camhead rattles more, than my oilhead at least. I guess it’s the valve train. Sounds rattly especially after it’s warmed up. I assumed this was normal for this engine.

I’ll assume that as long as the gauge doesn’t get maxed out I should be okay. 

nortonman70

Just a guess, but perhaps the two marks on the left are "operating temperature". My 2 cents for what its worth.

Hadabadachada
On 6/12/2023 at 9:20 PM, nortonman70 said:

Just a guess, but perhaps the two marks on the left are "operating temperature". My 2 cents for what its worth.

This is the best thing I’ve heard for explaining the markings. 
I gotta say, at 5 and 6 bars, this thing’s just pumping heat right onto my ankles. 

granted, the temp on the screen is 95 and everything’s baking. 

when I get home I shoot around the engine with the laser thermometer, the oil filter/sight glass is up around 250F and the sleeves where all the magic is happening are up around 280. Pretty brutal. 

21 hours ago, Hadabadachada said:

he oil filter/sight glass is up around 250F and the sleeves where all the magic is happening are up around 280. Pretty brutal. 

Good argument for quality synthetic oil:thumbsup:

Hadabadachada
2 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

Good argument for quality synthetic oil:thumbsup:

What really makes a good synthetic? 
I used Mobil 1, 15/50 that’s about the best I can get…..at a reasonable price anyway.

haven’t seen many 60 weight oils.  And I’m sure they would be quite expensive.

especially for changing every 3000 miles like I prefer.

On 6/15/2023 at 10:19 AM, Hadabadachada said:

This is the best thing I’ve heard for explaining the markings. 
I gotta say, at 5 and 6 bars, this thing’s just pumping heat right onto my ankles. 

granted, the temp on the screen is 95 and everything’s baking. 

when I get home I shoot around the engine with the laser thermometer, the oil filter/sight glass is up around 250F and the sleeves where all the magic is happening are up around 280. Pretty brutal. 

Morning Hadabadachada

Just keep in mind that the oil temperature sensor is mounted to read the cooling oil temperature just as the oil leaves the engine but before it goes through the oil cooler to get cooled. 

When the temperature gauge starts to read higher that is just showing that the cooling oil is picking up the engine heat & carrying it out of the engine to the oil cooler. 

Your 1200 engine has 2 separate oil systems with 2 separate oil pumps, one for the cooling oil  & one for the lubrication system. The cooling oil goes through the oil cooler to get cooled off before it re-enters the engine to be used for lubrication oil.