IGNORED

I think I did it (2023 R1250RT)

profbodryak

profbodryak

Sounds like my 2015 RT will be a total loss (bitter sweet as I have never bonded with any motorcycle as much as I did with my RT over the last >3.5 years and it is a bit scary to move on) but will be signing the papers on a brand new 2023 R1250RT alpine white within next week or so once insurance claim sorts out. Can't believe I am browsing the ShiftCam forum thread! Anything I should know prior to making it official?

16 hours ago, profbodryak said:

Sounds like my 2015 RT will be a total loss (bitter sweet as I have never bonded with any motorcycle as much as I did with my RT over the last >3.5 years and it is a bit scary to move on) but will be signing the papers on a brand new 2023 R1250RT alpine white within next week or so once insurance claim sorts out. Can't believe I am browsing the ShiftCam forum thread! Anything I should know prior to making it official?

Picked up my new R1250RT Saturday.  You should know this, be prepared to LOVE it and make sure you put some time aside to read ALL the directions, maybe a few times!

Good Luck,

Steve 

IMG_20230610_191416 (3).jpg

• Like 3
profbodryak
17 hours ago, Daveyator said:

Make sure the charge pad works. They are problematic.

One of the things I checked and unfortunately my Ultra S23 won't fit in the compartment at all. Will have to relocate my ram mount with super power puck. Will probably get a quad lock mount on the right handle bar as well to use on longer trips as I am not a big fan of their cases. A pretty large phone as it is. 

profbodryak
10 hours ago, Steveyacht said:

Picked up my new R1250RT Saturday.  You should know this, be prepared to LOVE it and make sure you put some time aside to read ALL the directions, maybe a few times!

Good Luck,

Steve 

IMG_20230610_191416 (3).jpg

Congrats, Steve! Yeah, having owned multiple BMW cars and bikes, they are loaded with hidden features.

• Thinking 1
profbodryak
2 hours ago, alexp said:

Congratulation!  I do like the wheel option.  I'm not to crazy for the black rims. 

Thank you! Completely agree that the standard wheels look best. 

• 3 weeks later...
profbodryak

I finally signed the papers today and brought it home! 🥳

Does anyone have any knowledge on how to get the USB port to play MP3's stored on a flash drive? The only place where I see "source" in the menus is in the radio section which doesn't have USB as an option. I like the concept of streaming music from my phone through the speakers but would be great to have USB as an option. 

Definitely need to install the phone cradle with the charger. My Ultra S23 does not fit in the charging cubby (suggestions are welcome!)

• Like 1

I am not sure about '23 models, but you may want to try looking for it using the source button on the left panel.   I know on my '19 model that source  button switches between FM / AM / Sirius XM / USB.  Perhaps you should try that with the USB connected; it may appear in the menu choices for you to select.

And congrats on your new RT!!

profbodryak

Thank you wbw6cos! The four buttons are now numbered 1 through 4 and are programmable to your favorites from an available list. Unfortunately, only "Media" is available as a shortcut to be added but not the USB specifically. 

I got a 2023 in white this year. The choppy lines created by the grey panels were an eye sore. With the option 719 aluminum, brown seat, and some paint work it looks much better ….

21CC5A0A-D3F8-4D52-BFA4-93FBD62E1546.thumb.jpeg.4eac56b25bfc3c4dd86eaa63c8b4112f.jpeg

• Like 4
5 hours ago, profbodryak said:

Does anyone have any knowledge on how to get the USB port to play MP3's stored on a flash drive?

No can do. The USB is only for power, no data exchange is possible.

Good to know.  Thanks.   TFT.   Not on m '19.   Still learning about other bikes.

Moreyouknow.jpg.62722a77cec8957b0439e13ad21674f2.jpg

profbodryak

Thank you everyone. Still figuring this out. Since my phone doesn't fit inside the glove box, I had it in the side case on the way back. With map use, it heats up significantly. I suppose, it wouldn't be as bad with Bluetooth only connection and when mounted on the handle bar. Having a second phone to fit in the compartment is probably not that great of an idea without a garage due to high temperatures in the northeastern summers and I'd simply worry about the battery exploding one day. 

16 minutes ago, profbodryak said:

Thank you everyone. Still figuring this out. Since my phone doesn't fit inside the glove box, I had it in the side case on the way back. With map use, it heats up significantly. I suppose, it wouldn't be as bad with Bluetooth only connection and when mounted on the handle bar. Having a second phone to fit in the compartment is probably not that great of an idea without a garage due to high temperatures in the northeastern summers and I'd simply worry about the battery exploding one day. 

I would not store a phone I cared about in the convection cubby, but perhaps that is more of a TX concern.   Keep your phone in a tank bag or in your jacket pocket.

Pair the the phone with the TFT and stream music from your phone.   

And the newer Sena comms systems are compatible with the wonder wheel for volume control. 

I abandoned the TFT for navigation use and added a Zumo XT.  The BMW map app  would drain my phone, would not stay connected and is not the best app for making  route adjustments on the fly.  The Garmin unit for me turned out to be the best solution vs. the Tom Tom based BMW navigation solution. 

• Plus 1 1
9 hours ago, profbodryak said:

Still figuring this out.

Good luck with that. Many '21+ owners chose to get a cheap Android phone and use it on the bike exclusively with no SIM. The Android system works more reliably although at the moment is still at version 4.x opposed to version 5.0 for the iOS edition. You can hot spot that phone to your "main" phone for data (traffic, route planning etc.) but as mentioned by others the available features may or may not be enough for you.

• Like 2
profbodryak

So I have figured out a couple of things since the last post. I listen to music most of the time so it takes about 15 second +/- to get the music playing through the speakers. Initialization of the TFT itself is almost instantaneous. No connectivity problems with navigation or music. Finally installed my ram mount with the super power puck and wired it to an available switched power connector behind the right front fairing. Definitely not installing my Nav V (it's up for grabs in the classified section if anyone needs one). The only one thing I am still pondering about is the connection quality and the point in time when my Sena needs to be turned on. It is paired to the RT and sometimes when leaving home (prior to getting on the bike), if I am on a call (connected to my phone), when I turn on ignition, all of a sudden I can't hear anything. It's as if it is now routing the connection through the bike but no output in the headphones. Microphone exhibits the same issue. Anyone else experience this? The only other issue is that the phone heats up significantly if using route guidance. Other than that, pretty happy with my '23 😁

profbodryak
On 6/28/2023 at 10:47 PM, Claudio said:

I got a 2023 in white this year. The choppy lines created by the grey panels were an eye sore. With the option 719 aluminum, brown seat, and some paint work it looks much better ….

21CC5A0A-D3F8-4D52-BFA4-93FBD62E1546.thumb.jpeg.4eac56b25bfc3c4dd86eaa63c8b4112f.jpeg

Over years of several liquid cooled RT's I've learned to appreciate the contrast of their color schemes. Needles to say, calisto grey metallic and alpine white are the only options I'd go for of all colors that were made available through 9 years of liquid cooled production years. 

This white one looks goood but what is it with the lights under the mirrors? Moved because of crash bars or did the 23 come with high mounted lights?

Mine are low, forming the triangle for better recognition in traffic. For use during night rides I do not know what kind of beam they cast as I don't ride when dark (unless a must)

H

profbodryak

Pretty sure these are aftermarket. You can see the stock ones on the bottom. 

On 7/2/2023 at 9:05 PM, bimmers said:

This white one looks goood but what is it with the lights under the mirrors? Moved because of crash bars or did the 23 come with high mounted lights?

Mine are low, forming the triangle for better recognition in traffic. For use during night rides I do not know what kind of beam they cast as I don't ride when dark (unless a must)

H

Those are indeed the Denali light mounts made specifically for the RT with a set of Denali LEDs.  The 2021+ RT requires a small modification to the mounting point to mount these brackets (Denali indicates that it is compatible with modification).  The modification is easy to do.  I find the mounting position to be excellent when we are forced to ride at night.  I can easily reach and slightly adjust the aim of them if needed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2023 at 5:37 PM, profbodryak said:

Congrats, Steve! Yeah, having owned multiple BMW cars and bikes, they are loaded with hidden features.

You know, you are absolutely correct.  Over the past few days, I've learned even more, such the fact there is an alarm system and the various settings.  I also learned how to use the steering lock system.  Learning more nearly every day.  Only 1300 miles and counting.  I absolutely LOVE this motorcycle!

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I agree, the solid color is much more pleasant to the eye. 

On 7/16/2023 at 11:12 AM, profbodryak said:

What fuel type do you put in your R1250RT?

Gasoline.  ..................................  Just kidding.  I use premium grade, 91 or higher octane.  I will also use non-ethanol when available.  

• Like 1
On 6/28/2023 at 7:47 PM, Claudio said:

Well, it's nice to look at.  Now if only you could obtain an FSM and not need special tools and have analog gauges and..and..

Wayne Johnson

Mine is white too(2nd one) not happy the way the bugs show up but as a bonus when you blast up behind someone they move over thinking you might be a cop too!

• Haha 2
  • 1 month later...
On 6/28/2023 at 9:47 PM, Claudio said:

That looks way better than the stock color scheme.