IGNORED

Larger Diameter Grips?

Steveyacht

I just picked up my new R1250RT.  On the 150 mile ride home, I'm finding my right hand getting sore and numb.  I never had a problem on my previous bikes, which had larger diameter grips.  Does anyone make replacement grips for this bike that are larger in diameter?  I remember having Grab On Grips on my Gold Wing and Honda VF700S, which I recall as being very comfortable.  

Thanks in advance for  your help!

S

Yeah, my R 1200 C has thicker grips plus cable usage.   It took me a while to get used to throttle-by-wire, but I also went with GRIP PUPPIES   The heated grips work for me through them.  There may be others, but I like the Grip Puppies.   Had them on since new in '19 and now 46k miles, they are still good for me.

• Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1

Many of us want grips having a larger diameter.  I used foam slip-ons on a 2017 RT, and then tried the Boxflyer o-ring method on a 2019 RT.  Both work fine.  But an advantage of the o-ring method is that they don't get mushy in the rain.  The heated grip function works with either one.

• Thanks 1
On 6/10/2023 at 5:46 PM, Steveyacht said:

I just picked up my new R1250RT.  On the 150 mile ride home, I'm finding my right hand getting sore and numb.  I never had a problem on my previous bikes, which had larger diameter grips.  Does anyone make replacement grips for this bike that are larger in diameter?  I remember having Grab On Grips on my Gold Wing and Honda VF700S, which I recall as being very comfortable.  

Thanks in advance for  your help!

Morning  Steveyacht

That is what cruise control is for. 

I have the same sore thumb type deal if I need my hand to stay on the twist grip for long periods with a fairly tight grip (like off-road riding) but I simply hate larger grips so what I have found that works pretty good is to just use enough grip puppy to support the web of my thumb. Just enough grip puppy to eliminate sore thumb.

Picture below is the matching L/H side but throttle side is the same. It allows a nice thin grip for precise riding with just enough thumb web support to prevent sore thumb. Actually on my road 1200RT I use a shorter one yet (just enough to support the thumb web, about 1/2 what is shown below).   Plus it allows full heat from the heated grips. 

At least something else to try__   

An8Cywf.jpg

• Like 1