IGNORED

Engine Rotation?

RK Ryder

I confess that it’s’ been awhile since I’ve adjusted my ‘98 R1100RT’s valves and done a throttle body sync. I have scheduled tomorrow for doing both.

Having limited success with bumping the rear wheel to get the engine in the correct position to adjust the valves, in the past I’ve simply used the alternator belt bolt to move the engine for the adjustment.

The problem is (senior moment) I am not certain in which direction I should be moving my ratchet/socket. My gut tells me clockwise, but is this correct?

Paul

Can you just bump the rear wheel to see which way the belt moves? Mark the belt and a reference point if you are not able to see the belt while moving the wheel.

15 minutes ago, RK Ryder said:

I confess that it’s’ been awhile since I’ve adjusted my ‘98 R1100RT’s valves and done a throttle body sync. I have scheduled tomorrow for doing both.

Having limited success with bumping the rear wheel to get the engine in the correct position to adjust the valves, in the past I’ve simply used the alternator belt bolt to move the engine for the adjustment.

The problem is (senior moment) I am not certain in which direction I should be moving my ratchet/socket. My gut tells me clockwise, but is this correct?

Paul

Morning Paul

Clockwise looking at it from the front.  

• Like 1

Thank you for the responses and to Dirt Rider for confirming that clockwise is the correct direction.

I know that putting the bike in high gear makes bumping the rear wheel easier to move the engine but my success doing that I the past has been not always successful.

Thanks again.

Paul

22 hours ago, RK Ryder said:

Thank you for the responses and to Dirt Rider for confirming that clockwise is the correct direction.

I know that putting the bike in high gear makes bumping the rear wheel easier to move the engine but my success doing that I the past has been not always successful.

Thanks again.

Paul

Good Morning Paul, I forgot to mention that when I bump the rear wheel to find TDC, I do it with the spark plug out.

just put the ratchet in 'tighten' mode. use a sharpie and put an arrow on the pulley for future senior moments. ( of which I have many)