IGNORED

How to MOVE Bike in Garage To Make Room For Bike, Two Cars, Tools

gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot

Accessory to move bike SIDEWAYS on Center Stand (in Crowded Garage)?

I have two car garage, two cars, R1150RT "Fritz",  free standing drill press,  free standing band saw, work bench with air compressor under it, tool chest, shelves, folding utility trailer, parts....

I can get everything in but to make room for FRITZ, he has to go up against side of garage wall in a cubby hole, with length available equal to Bike length plus a few feet. 

To get bike in and out of garage one car has to be out in driveway. 

NOTE" One thing that is work is rotating bike 180 degrees on center stand once I drive Fritz into garage.  If I had to back Fritz out of garage (and I would with one car in garage) and down steep drive backwards it would not be fun. With second car in drive there is no room to J-turn.  So once in garage  on center stand it, I spin it around 180 so I can drive out. If I want to ride it later I leave it there and car in drive. 

Is there some COOL accessory to move your bike sideways so I can shrove bike straight into a cubby hole on side of garage

What I am doing now (skip if you don't want to loose a few minutes of your life you will never get back, ha ha)

To store Fritz I muscle him back and forth to "parallel park" in side of garage cubby hole.  It's not horrible but.... I then put it on center stand (makes more room vs leaning over). I often also remove the LEFT Bag to give me more room in the garage and open car door. I can leave ;eave bag however. 

With 2nd car out, Fritz in cubby hole, I drop off center stand and back and forth it out to clear end of garage (near garage door) and drive out of garage. 

Some obvious choices: Sell a car? No. Get new home with bigger garage (10 bay may be ha ha) and separate work shop? Yes love to, but not happening at least in near future. 

The only thing I can think of (not practical adamantly but might work) is a pully near floor level that attaches to lower center stand to pull it sideways. Again center stand on smooth concrete is fairly low friction.  I would put some surface protection onto of concrete.  I would have to put an anchor near the floor in the concrete slab lip or lower sill 2x4 through dry wall. Then I could attach some kind of pully system to pull center stand over. Being low below bike CG it should work If you try and rock and push bike sideways on center stand it is awkward and your risk dropping bike of center stand.  You can pull and walk bike towards you (away from wall) easier. However to do this you have to rotate or spin bike 20 degrees or more. If against the wall you can't do this.

Morning gmcjetpilot

If you can use the side stand then a number of devices will work pretty good. One problem with using the center stand with a dolly is getting the darn motorcycle up on the center stand while on the dolly. 

If you need the motorcycle upright then you might look into something like this.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/182395853646884673/

I have no personal experience with this device it's just one that seems to meet your needs. 

image.thumb.png.c7570e671675a9e78ed03830b2da0a57.png

Spoiler

I use a couple of these moving men sliders under my center stand to rotate and slide the bike around. Be sure to strap the center stand so the bike won’t fall off the stand.

1 hour ago, gmcjetpilot said:

Awsome. That's the gougeI needed. Cheers. 

Afternoon  gmcjetpilot

You shouldn't need anything special or added to park your motorcycle where the picture shows, just toss a doubled up towel over the R/H mirror (or put some padding on the garage wall) to protect your R/H mirror. 

Then simply back the motorcycle in against the wall using the handlebars & standing on the L/H side of the motorcycle. 

Then use the side stand instead of the center stand  & place a piece of 2x4 or something the correct height to stand the motorcycle up almost straight (just enough lean to keep it from resting heavy on the mirror). It can't fall over to the right as the wall is there.  

gmcjetpilot
On 6/10/2023 at 3:37 PM, dirtrider said:

Afternoon  gmcjetpilot

You shouldn't need anything special or added to park your motorcycle where the picture shows, just toss a doubled up towel over the R/H mirror (or put some padding on the garage wall) to protect your R/H mirror. 

Dude I'm living the dream and think I know the situation, not my first rodeo. The pictures are deceptive. Clearly I have bike up against wall and cars in. With the side bag on I can barely get out of car. It can be done but its no fun. Also I need about 1.5 feet to pull bike up or drop bike off center stand. It's not all that roomy. 

Side stand or center bike has to be rode in garage and pointed to ride out. Side stand can NOT be on wall side. I will never move bike standing opposite of kick stand.  Center stand takes less room.

Two things:

1) I have to turn bike 180 deg once I drive into garage. Trust me backing out onto slopoed driveway with car parked on driveway is awkward.to dangerous. There is a 2" drop from garage floor to driveway.  600 lb bike backwards 30 feet down sloped drive to street is to be avoided. Did it once. I am happy with centerstand 180 spin. Peice of cake. No worries.To spin bike it has to be smack middle of car bay to not hit parked car or drill press/bandsaw. It's easy and fun. No issue here. Trust me. 

2) Getting it tight against wall with a little over bike length (between drill press & garage door stub wall, both sticking out +3 feet), takes several iterations of back and forth (+6 ). This is without hitting side bag and mirror against wall or luggage rack / taillight against drill press.

Your towel pad idea is good. I dont want to cause damage / rash on bike. Again moved bikes for 40 years since age 16. That's One one issue I'm not a 20 yo strapping lad anymore. I still have health an strength for now. I will mark garage floor with tape to assist in alignment.

Not impossible to wrestle 600 lb (full fuel) bike into the slot. Clearly I did it. I will have to keep doing it. It's just a pain and looking for solutions to make it easier.

One solution is get stuff out of garage to make more room. The bike should go in back of garage not side. However I have a folding trailer, metal storage rack in back of garage. I might move them to side of garage and bike to back.

Quick question:  which vehicle will be used with regularity, the Leaf or Fritz?

The reason I axe is I have a smilar situation with my car (a sqaure, boxy kind made by Scion) and 2 bikes.   My solution was to back the car in and put it against the wall and park the bikes in the middle.  Driver door opening is easier that way.  I rotate the bikes weekly, so the one in-use parks at the door in between the two cars.  I rarely use the car, so it is inches off the wall (from the passenger mirror) and as far back as stuff will allow, which is basically my welder and pressure washer (about 2 foot off the back wall.)

If I need to drive the car, I move the current bike in the middle more and I have enough room to pull the car out.   Laura's car is on the right side of garage, also backed in.   That way the bike in the middle will not impede her opening the dirver's door.

Just a thought.

I do not see how in the heck the Jetta door can open with the set-up in the picture, but in 2001 I did some car hauling, so I know the feeling.  The photos do not show an accurate scale and appears closer than what I think.  :4607:

szurszewski

I have a set of dynamoto stands that are amazing and do what you want, but they don’t list the 11XX series bikes - so I don’t know if there is a away to make the work with the “solid” fd single sided swingarm. If you’re willing to spend $700 on this problem (I got mine used for less than half that, or I wouldn’t have them) it might be worth and email to see if they have a solution. 

gmcjetpilot
On 6/11/2023 at 7:03 AM, wbw6cos said:

Quick question:  which vehicle will be used with regularity, the Leaf or Fritz?

Great question the VW diesel TDI is trapped. No access until LEAF is out. Fritz can stay put to move car's, but LEAF has to come out to get VW out. It's tight. The Jetta is near stuff stored along garage wall (folding utility/bike trailer stake sides) and 5" from LEAF. With side bag off Fritz getting into LEAF easy. I have STUFF. L love that folding trailer it takes up little room but it takes room. 

The LEAF is daily driver, local short range.

Heidi is a VWJSW (Jetta Sportwagen) turbo diesel comes out a few dozen times a year, mostly long road trips, camping. With 45-50 mpg, 600-700 mi range huge flat floor cargo area with back seats down, it's like a camper van.  "Heidi" hibernates more in winter, driven to exercise.

Fritz is being rode a lot since I did all the repairs, services, upgrades (w/ big help form this forum thks). It was out of service for awhile. I have miles to make up. I ride it 3 days a week, more if I have time. I have some long trips planned.

Getting bike out is fine. It takes minutes to open garage, back LEAF out, get Fritz off stand, man-handle sliding out on side stand,  enough, put gear on, throw a keg over, start, ride off, closing garage door w/ remote. It's ho now, so I don't want to fiddle around with gear on.   Coming back is also easy at first w/ LEAF in drive. Open garage door with remote, park Fritz in garage middle of where LEAF goes to cool, close door. It's so hot now I like to get off, take gear off and get inside AC ASAP. Once cooled down I'll put Fritz away and LEAF back in garage. I wish I had a 3 or 4 car garage with separate shop.

I'll leave LEAF out side for short periods sometimes if riding bike again soon, even overnight. If not I do the dance, huffs and puffs. It's not horrible. The machine tools, work bench need room and all the power is on that side. I use them all the time. Got too many hobbies. 😪 Ha ha.

• Like 1
gmcjetpilot
On 6/11/2023 at 11:12 AM, szurszewski said:

I have a set of dynamoto stands that are amazing and do what you want, but they don’t list the 11XX series bikes - so I don’t know if there is a away to make the work with the “solid” fd single sided swingarm. If you’re willing to spend $700 on this problem (I got mine used for less than half that, or I wouldn’t have them) it might be worth and email to see if they have a solution. 

Those are insane... cool. I just emailed them and they replied back... No on the R1150RT due to the smaller spindle of rear drive/wheel. However it does not look impossible to fabricate? However I think what dirtrider said is right. I don't "need" any special dolly/stand. I'm thinking of re-arranging the garage but prelim "fufengshui" shows it would not be better. or better by much.  Cheers. 

szurszewski
2 hours ago, gmcjetpilot said:

Those are insane... cool. I just emailed them and they replied back... No on the R1150RT due to the smaller spindle of rear drive/wheel. However it does not look impossible to fabricate? However I think what dirtrider said is right. I don't "need" any special dolly/stand. I'm thinking of re-arranging the garage but prelim "fufengshui" shows it would not be better. or better by much.  Cheers. 

I saw them when they first came to market and was fascinated but they are way out of my play stuff budget (bikes are not play stuff, but fun yet not needed accessories are). This set popped up on adv and the guy kept lowering the price until I could no longer resist. They really do work as well as the video. My garage is brushed concrete and sloped for a drain with a couple of seams meeting at odd angles - none of that is a problem - super easy to move the bike one handed and with my current predicament of only one good leg.