IGNORED

1981 R100RS value.

kruuuzn

I'm considering selling my 1981 R100RS with 25,000 miles but having a hard time determining the value.

Does anyone know of a recent similar sale?

You can get a sales report from Ebay..... otherwise NADA (now JD Power) values are determined from dealer reported sales.

Dunno if that helps.....

On 6/10/2023 at 9:38 AM, kruuuzn said:

I'm considering selling my 1981 R100RS with 25,000 miles but having a hard time determining the value.

Does anyone know of a recent similar sale?

Here’s a beauty priced at 5K. :cool: Click

image.thumb.jpeg.a044b8ad34368d93c075440c9708c05a.jpeg

roadscholar

That bike has surface corrosion on some of the aluminum, mainly the driveshaft housing just from what I can see although some of it can be eliminated with the right chemicals. It also has a lousy imitation for a smoke red paint job, few shops can get it exactly right but that one is a particularly bad attempt, adjust accordingly.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

That bike has surface corrosion on some of the aluminum, mainly the driveshaft housing just from what I can see although some of it can be eliminated with the right chemicals. It also has a lousy imitation for a smoke red paint job, few shops can get it exactly right but that one is a particularly bad attempt, adjust accordingly.

I did see some of that corrosion but was swooned by that fake shiny paint job! :facepalm: Thanks Bill.

Yeah, this didn’t match the condition of the paint. 

image.thumb.jpeg.980b6960dc21b51dd3e51f8515effbbb.jpeg

Wow, that's EXACTLY like mine. I think mine is in a little better shape though.

What are you guys seeing on the paint issues you mentioned?

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

• Like 1
roadscholar
1 hour ago, kruuuzn said:

Wow, that's EXACTLY like mine. I think mine is in a little better shape though.

What are you guys seeing on the paint issues you mentioned?

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

Your bike is much nicer than the one in the ad and why I said adjust accordingly. That one isn't worth as much as he's asking (check the rear tire in Pat's photo above as an indicator of overall condition) but I'd think 5-10k isn't unreasonable for the mileage and apparent condition of yours. Attracting the right buyer at the right time is the hard part, although your bike seems nice enough for Bring a Trailer, collectors are looking for stuff like that and will pay good money for it. It's a bit of a pain documenting hundreds of photos and waiting for it to run but to some it's worth it. Another place to advertise it might be the MOA classifieds or any airhead specific group, they know exactly what it's worth. 

On the paint job, yours looks identical to the other one so if yours is original paint that's how the factory did it by 1981. In the 70's, particularly the R90S's and R100S's had a much more gradual fade from black to grey, orange, or red. Most of the repaints on those earlier ones are done incorrectly and why I mentioned it, sorry for the confusion.

• Plus 1 1

The bike at the top is in Delaware near the beach (salt air) and sat unused for 10 years (in a heated garage) . Any ballpark ideas on the value range if it at least starts and idles ?   Thanks, Dave

11 hours ago, Nowisgood said:

The bike at the top is in Delaware near the beach (salt air) and sat unused for 10 years (in a heated garage) . Any ballpark ideas on the value range if it at least starts and idles ?   Thanks, Dave

In the picture the paint looks good but after seeing that corrosion on the FD and wheels, I’d use that as a negotiation tool. What does the inside of the tank look like? That could be a nightmare if rusted. I’d probably gamble on $3500 myself. :dontknow:

Thanks for the opinion.  Makes good sense to me. I bought a 1978 Honda CT90 couple years back, the older gent selling it basically called excellent condition. So I way overpaid for it, took it to a bike mechanic, who works on older bikes from 1960s, etc, seems to really knows his stuff as far as I can tell,  and from 10 feet away he started telling me all the things wrong with it. So that's how bad of a judge I am, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
52 minutes ago, Nowisgood said:

Thanks for the opinion.  Makes good sense to me. I bought a 1978 Honda CT90 couple years back, the older gent selling it basically called excellent condition. So I way overpaid for it, took it to a bike mechanic, who works on older bikes from 1960s, etc, seems to really knows his stuff as far as I can tell,  and from 10 feet away he started telling me all the things wrong with it. So that's how bad of a judge I am, lol. 

It appears you’re a new guy here? Are you looking for your first BMW, or do you just like that particular model? A lot of newer bikes out there for similar money.

Example

roadscholar
On 6/12/2023 at 6:16 PM, roadscholar said:

I'd think 5-10k isn't unreasonable for the mileage and apparent condition of yours. Attracting the right buyer at the right time is the hard part, although your bike seems nice enough for Bring a Trailer, collectors are looking for stuff like that and will pay good money for it. It's a bit of a pain documenting hundreds of photos and waiting for it to run but to some it's worth it.

roadscholar
2 hours ago, szurszewski said:

You’re just quoting yourself now? ;)

I don’t always quote myself but when I do it’s because I was right : )

In response to clem’s post that Pat quoted above the examples of similar bikes on BaT were nearly all between 5-10k. Probably shouldn’t have expected anyone to make the connection.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1