IGNORED

Head Protectors vs Crash Bars

Steveyacht

I've noticed that there are quite a few owners here who have the Head protectors in lieu of Front Crash bars.   What I'm looking for is protection for the heads and other components in case I loose my footing and do a "Laugh In" tip over.  I've been seriously considering the Heed Crash/Tip over bars for my new R1250RT (Than I'm picking up this morning!!).  

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions and comments!

S

Hi Steve,   I know they seem pricey, but when you compare the protection to paying for OEM repairs, you save in the long run.   My affectionate term for them is DROP BARS from ilium works.   I also got the side case guards.  Yeah, they work, too.  I even found the rattle can paint to match the black coating as i seemed to have found a way to scratch them, over and over and over, again.  :whistle:   I lost count after 7, or so.  I need to get around to cleaning them up for a coat of paint, but no big deal.   It is a lot more funner to ride.   I will eventually get busy with it during the next service.  

A note:   I have read somewhere on the internet that there could be some sort of supply chain issues from ilium works.   Give them a call to confirm.  Be patient, they may be representin' at the MOA National this weekend.  

Congrats on your purchase, which you will have to prove that it did happen!  :read:   (if you know what I mean, and I think you do!)

Cheers,

• Smile 1

One thing to consider in the head guard / drop bar debate is that with drop bars the bike won't fall over all the way, making it easier to right then with the head guards.  Due to some medical concerns, I am going to go with drop bars (probably Illium)  to hopefully make it easier in the event of a drop.

• Like 1

There's no doubt bars provide better protection, but have several drawbacks. It also depends on your priorities, abilities, size, strength, and personal taste. I chose the MAM X-Head protectors for both my ex-RT and current R for several reasons: The bars look like crap IMO (especially on the R), the MAM protectors look OEM, and always ride solo. Most (if not all) bars drag at full lean angle (something very few would have a problem with, but I would), so an immediate deal-breaker for me. Plus they're heavier, and some reportedly could damage the frame, so I'd stick to tried-and-true models recommended here. The head protectors provide a decent level of protection (along with axle/FD sliders), including being able to ride the bike after a tip-over (no oil leaks). If you have a nasty accident, probably nothing would help anyway, and might as well get the bike totaled IMO. Finally, the RT is significantly heavier, and more top-heavy than my bike, so the decision between bars and head protectors would be harder to make than for my R:D, especially if you don't need full lean angle. But also depends on your physical size, strength, and if you ride solo or 2-up. The more vulnerable you feel about dropping the bike (like a short rider), the more sense the bars make. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
2 hours ago, ELP said:

There's no doubt bars provide better protection, but have several drawbacks. It also depends on your priorities, abilities, size, strength, and personal taste. I chose the MAM X-Head protectors for both my ex-RT and current R for several reasons: The bars look like crap IMO (especially on the R), the MAM protectors look OEM, and always ride solo. Most (if not all) bars drag at full lean angle (something very few would have a problem with, but I would), so an immediate deal-breaker for me. Plus they're heavier, and some reportedly could damage the frame, so I'd stick to tried-and-true models recommended here. The head protectors provide a decent level of protection (along with axle/FD sliders), including being able to ride the bike after a tip-over (no oil leaks). If you have a nasty accident, probably nothing would help anyway, and might as well get the bike totaled IMO. Finally, the RT is significantly heavier, and more top-heavy than my bike, so the decision between bars and head protectors would be harder to make than for my R:D, especially if you don't need full lean angle. But also depends on your physical size, strength, and if you ride solo or 2-up. The more vulnerable you feel about dropping the bike (like a short rider), the more sense the bars make. Good luck.

Not really concerned about max lean angles, I stopped that LONG ago.  I have very short legs, even with the low seat and lowering bushings I'm unable to touch both feet, flat to the ground.  I think I'm going to go with the Heed Bars.  I like the look of them and the fact that they are painted vs powder coated as if I do tip over, any scratches are easier to shoot with some matching paint, whereas powder coat is tougher to do spot repairs on.  Thanks for your response, it is appreciated/  Steve

10 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Hi Steve,   I know they seem pricey, but when you compare the protection to paying for OEM repairs, you save in the long run.   My affectionate term for them is DROP BARS from ilium works.   I also got the side case guards.  Yeah, they work, too.  I even found the rattle can paint to match the black coating as i seemed to have found a way to scratch them, over and over and over, again.  :whistle:   I lost count after 7, or so.  I need to get around to cleaning them up for a coat of paint, but no big deal.   It is a lot more funner to ride.   I will eventually get busy with it during the next service.  

A note:   I have read somewhere on the internet that there could be some sort of supply chain issues from ilium works.   Give them a call to confirm.  Be patient, they may be representin' at the MOA National this weekend.  

Congrats on your purchase, which you will have to prove that it did happen!  :read:   (if you know what I mean, and I think you do!)

Cheers,

I have done quite a bit of searching the big three when it comes to bars, Wunderlich, Ilium and Heed.  I really do like the look of the Heed bars and the fact that they are painted vs powder coated, easier to spot repair if/when I tip over, bound to happen with my short ass legs, and an infirmity I have that weakens my left leg.  I'll take all the protection I can get.  Ilium is nice, but no idea when they will be ready to ship (supply chain and the move out of California to their new home).  So, Heed will be it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DJDixon said:

One thing to consider in the head guard / drop bar debate is that with drop bars the bike won't fall over all the way, making it easier to right then with the head guards.  Due to some medical concerns, I am going to go with drop bars (probably Illium)  to hopefully make it easier in the event of a drop.

Never thought of that, glad you mentioned it.  Another great reason for me to get the bars.  Thanks

With the head protectors, I'm not clear on how they mount. Do they deflect the weight away from the head and cylinder, or do they just prevent cosmetic and some head damage? Does the cylinder still take the weight hit if tipped over?

Another point is that with any of the solutions you need to consider serviceability. Most bars will require loosening if not removal for even an oil change so just to be aware of it.

I did not get bars on this one yet but they are on the list still. Have had it on my previous ones and they have saved me from more damage. 

H

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Steveyacht said:

Not really concerned about max lean angles, I stopped that LONG ago.  I have very short legs, even with the low seat and lowering bushings, I'm unable to touch both feet, flat to the ground.

I'd absolutely get bars in your place too. I have a 32" inseam, and can barely flatfoot if I push myself forward on my stock R comfort seat (32.3", and it was the same height on the RT). But in the regular seating position, only touch with the ball of my feet (which is fine most of the time, because I watch where I stop and park). Any less inseam, and I wouldn't feel safe. And fortunately, my knees don't complain with that seat, so no need for the taller (and less comfortable) sport seat, which would make me more vulnerable to a drop. And if I needed lowering pegs, limiting cornering clearance, I'd just sell the bike. Ha ha. Strictly use it just for fun trips to the twisties (and to get there, some times), so only gets used a few times a year.

1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

With the head protectors, I'm not clear on how they mount. Do they deflect the weight away from the head and cylinder, or do they just prevent cosmetic and some head damage? Does the cylinder still take the weight hit if tipped over?

Head protectors mount on the heads, so yes, they'd take the brunt of the weight if tipped over. However, at least my MAM X-Head set, has a thick cushioning 'sandwich' layer between the hard shell, and the head covers themselves. So they shouldn't get damaged, at least from just a tip-over. Or a slow-speed parking lot drop. Having said that, I'd like to see that kind of cushioning on bars, since they transfer the jolt to the frame, which is not designed for that. And that could damage other components as well (especially electronic ones) IMO. So there are pros and cons on both, but just by logic, any good bars (the 'big 3', as mentioned above) should be better at minimizing damage than head protectors overall, at least most of the times.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, ELP said:

I'd absolutely get bars in your place too. I have a 32" inseam, and can barely flatfoot if I push myself forward on my stock R comfort seat (32.3", and it was the same height on the RT). But in the regular seating position, only touch with the ball of my feet (which is fine most of the time, because I watch where I stop and park). Any less inseam, and I wouldn't feel safe. And fortunately, my knees don't complain with that seat, so no need for the taller (and less comfortable) sport seat, which would make me more vulnerable to a drop. And if I needed lowering pegs, limiting cornering clearance, I'd just sell the bike. Ha ha. Strictly use it just for fun trips to the twisties (and to get there, some times), so only gets used a few times a year.

Head protectors mount on the heads, so yes, they'd take the brunt of the weight if tipped over. However, at least my MAM X-Head set, has a thick cushioning 'sandwich' layer between the hard shell, and the head covers themselves. So they shouldn't get damaged, at least from just a tip-over. Or a slow-speed parking lot drop. Having said that, I'd like to see that kind of cushioning on bars, since they transfer the jolt to the frame, which is not designed for that. And that could damage other components as well (especially electronic ones) IMO. So there are pros and cons on both, but just by logic, any good bars (the 'big 3', as mentioned above) should be better at minimizing damage than head protectors overall, at least most of the times.

Thanks, that's what I was suspecting. I'd worry about a warm cylinder possibly taking damage, being knocked out of round, pulling on the base mounts, etc. I'd be more inclined toward the bars.

• Like 1

Here it is, earlier today, when I picked it up.  Now, before you start laughing, Jeff is 6'6"!  LOL

• Smile 1

Oh yeah, for the ilium work engine bars, the one on the left side will have to be loosened/removed to allow for the cam alignment jig to be used for proper 12k service.  The guard on right side has enough clearance (Clarence) to allow cam alignment check without touching the guard.  This is due to the cylinder offset, with the left one being slightly forward of the one on the right.   Not a major ordeal, but may cost extra labor if the service is properly performed at the dealer.

Picture is gorgeous. Exactly the same look as mine 2021. 

Enjoy it every time I ride as it was a big upgrade from my 2006 and 2009 RTs. Power and comfort are miles ahead and the 15 year development can be felt.

(I still have the 06 so get to compare ever so often)

h

IMG_7666.jpeg

IMG_7190.jpeg

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Steveyacht said:

IMG_20230610_191416 (3).jpg

I picked one up 2 days ago that looks just like your bike.  I love the R1250RT.

Bill

• Haha 1
On 6/10/2023 at 7:29 PM, Steveyacht said:

Here it is, earlier today, when I picked it up.  Now, before you start laughing, Jeff is 6'6"!  LOL

Before I read that following post, I was wondering how you'd reach the ground:4323:. So very appropriate post. Ha  ha. It looks GORGEOUS in blue... and I'm not a blue paint guy. Enjoy it:18:

• Like 1
Shelterwoods

I'm with Elp; the MachineArt Moto head protectors are nice looking, and my experience has shown that they provide the protection desired; I've dropped my R1250RS a few times, and crashed once, with no damage to the heads. They don't help much righting the bike, but have saved me a lot of money in repairs.

Del

Received my new Heed bars only 5 days after ordering, from Poland!  Never expected them that fast. They were packed with the utmost care, using foam pipe insulation on the bars to prevent any scratching. Great Job.

I will be going to a friend's house in order to have him help me install them, he has a REAL shop set up with lift, all the tools and a big screen tv!  I'll do my best to get some photos so I can post them on here. Wish me luck!

• Like 1