IGNORED

R1250RS full Exhaust photos to share

c10

I just finished putting this together .  9 pounds / 4 ounces . Blackwidow header , Titanium mid pipe to adapt a 52mm Akrapovic Titanium / carbon fiber can . 

Bike has not even arrived yet .   The Akrapovic is not to loud due to overall length . It sounds good on a inline four cylinder so will se how it is on the Boxer motor. 

Exhaust with ZRX Akro can.jpg

exhaust 3.jpg

Exhaust 2.jpg

Exhaust 1.jpg

Exhaust 2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

You're ready for the Harley club! First thing changed on every one of them.

That looks a well made piece, nice to cut off all the weight of the stock unit.

• Like 1

May I ask how are you going to deal with not having O2 sensors, and the overly lean fueling? I wouldn't even turn the engine on without some kind of tune... which would void at least your engine warranty (if not power-train). I've owned several very fast bikes, and I don't feel the need to mess with my R1250R at all; it has incredible torque, and enough HP to even have fun at a track, if you wanted. Plus my stock Akrapovic is loud enough even with the inserts in place, so yours is going to make an obnoxious racket; better not have neighbors. Ha ha. But keep us posted what you do, and a video, including a fly-by to see how it sounds. Good luck.

18 minutes ago, ELP said:

May I ask how are you going to deal with not having O2 sensors, and the overly lean fueling? I wouldn't even turn the engine on without some kind of tune... which would void at least your engine warranty (if not power-train). I've owned several very fast bikes, and I don't feel the need to mess with my R1250R at all; it has incredible torque, and enough HP to even have fun at a track, if you wanted. Plus my stock Akrapovic is loud enough even with the inserts in place, so yours is going to make an obnoxious racket; better not have neighbors. Ha ha. But keep us posted what you do, and a video, including a fly-by to see how it sounds. Good luck.

I guess you did not  look close enough at photos .  Three bungs for O2 / Lambda sensors .    My Gen 2 Hayabusa I toured on was 207 wheel hp  / 113 tq the RS is just a gentleman's bike for me .  Its about Weight ;)   I also do not like the overly larger slip on options avaible for the RS  .  Image is of my previous Sport tour built over 5 years .  

Stock 586 lb wet 181 hp .  Finished 498 wet 207 hp  It was very fun . 
Chain drive though was the killer when touring cross country .  

20201002_095311.jpg

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Well, with O2s is obviously better, but the question is if the ECU would adjust the fuel mixture enough to avoid an overly lean condition. If you get a CEL (most likely outcome), you'll know the answer... and better fix it quick, to avoid damaging your engine.  Keep us posted. Hey, I had a Busa too, but the Gen1; it was a beast, even stock. I just had to replace the timing chain tensioner for a mechanical one (it was fixed with the Gen2s). I didn't keep it long, since it cornered for crap, and was uncomfortable too. Basically a drag bike IMO. So just got a few top-speed runs, and sold it. And yes, that was the fastest I've gone so far, bike or car. Ha ha.

Shelterwoods

I look forward to your report on the sound level increase; I like that the original setup keeps me incognito, sort of. Have you tested the sound level? There are various sound meters you can download for smart fones.

Del

6 hours ago, Shelterwoods said:

I look forward to your report on the sound level increase; I like that the original setup keeps me incognito, sort of. Have you tested the sound level? There are various sound meters you can download for smart fones.

Del

I have a true DB meter I use at Work .   Once the bike comes in in mid July I'll update the info 

• 2 weeks later...

I have installed full Akra and Remus exhaust systems on cam head and wet head boxer motors for same reason as the OP and never had a performance decrease issue or CEL.  

18 minutes ago, franksmith said:

I have installed full Akra and Remus exhaust systems on cam head and wet head boxer motors for same reason as the OP and never had a performance decrease issue or CEL.  

Afternoon franksmith

But neither your cam head or the wet head had that 3rd o2 sensor, that 3rd sensor (post cat o2 sensor)  verifies to the fueling computer that the catalytic converter is operating correctly & doing it's job. I believe there is a post-cat o2 sensor spoofer device available from the aftermarket to plug into the open rear o2  connector to mask the post cat  fault. 

That's enlightening.  Thanks for sharing.  Can you find this device and share more info?  I am buying a new to me 2019 R1250 and am on the fence about swapping to a cat-less full exhaust.  I know they are out there but want to make sure I do it right.  I've heard that a Brentune flash can fix any issues but the 3rd lambda sensor is news to me.    

12 hours ago, franksmith said:

That's enlightening.  Thanks for sharing.  Can you find this device and share more info?  I am buying a new to me 2019 R1250 and am on the fence about swapping to a cat-less full exhaust.  I know they are out there but want to make sure I do it right.  I've heard that a Brentune flash can fix any issues but the 3rd lambda sensor is news to me.    

Morning  franksmith

You will probably have to find someone that has had to deal with this. Personally I don't install exhaust systems that defeat the emission control systems. 

It shouldn't too difficult to find a post cat o2 spoofer but it might have to be 1250 BMW motorcycle specific. 

I have not (compared) the post cat o2 data stream (with cat) vs the post cat o2 sensor data stream (without cat) on the 1250  but on most modern vehicles the  post cat o2 sensor is used to verify that the cat is functional & capable of doing it's job.

In most cases that involves the fueling computer triggering the fuel injectors to go very rich for a very short time sometime after the engine is warm enough to have the cat lit off. It then looks at that 3rd (post cat) o2 sensor to see if the cat has responded & removed that extra fuel from the exhaust flow. Normally the front o2 sensor output is continually varying in response to the fueling commands, on the post cat o2 it is typically the opposite as that post cat o2 is looking for a non-varying output showing the cat is doing it's job. If the post cat o2 sensor is varying beyond a logical amount then the cat is not working as intended.

You might try to contact  (Roger 04 rt)  as he was looking into this a while back but I'm not sure how far he has dug into it. (check your PM on this site)  

• 3 weeks later...

Contacted Blackwidow , and they said no codes or issues with third O2 sensor . I'm happy to report they are correct .  My 2023 RS sounds amazing for a boxer . Best one I have ever heard in person or video .  Saved 13 pounds off the new RS .  One thing I like is its still quiet on cruise but when I get on it the sound is there but not annoying like a sawed off squids motorcycle . Also can now hear the shift cam action in the exhaust note . Think OEM Turbo car when coming into boost . Just enough to make a smile . 

1st phot after riding home in the rain on Saturday 7/8/23 

Day 1 home and rained on.jpg

Bike apart.jpg

Black Widow ex with GS sump plate.jpg

Akro exhaust from side.jpg

Akro to bag fitment.jpg

Akro exhaust fit.jpg

• Like 1

more photos .  Exhaust servo is gone ( factory did not tighten the cables to tabs )  No decel popping .    May get with Bren Tune to build a tune for it in a few weeks . 

K&N Filter.jpg

RS with Full exhaust.jpg

RS with Full exhaust close up.jpg

RS full exahust header.jpg

• Like 2

I just looked up Black Widow on their website.  271 quid for their header.  That's significantly less than the Akra, which is 1,150 US shipped to my doorstep.  

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2023 at 6:21 PM, c10 said:

RS with Full exhaust.jpg

Hey, I was told no more white bags for my 2020, which should be identical to yours. May I ask where did you buy them? Don't need them now, but guess better get some asap. Thank you.