IGNORED

2002 F650GS single cylinder

SAS

I am in need of a spark plug wire for my 2002 F650GS that squirls have had a field day with.  They have been discontinued from BMW.  I have tried to source it from anywhere but with the same results.  Has anyone made one?, that could tell where to get the parts to make it?  

48 minutes ago, SAS said:

I am in need of a spark plug wire for my 2002 F650GS that squirls have had a field day with.  They have been discontinued from BMW.  I have tried to source it from anywhere but with the same results.  Has anyone made one?, that could tell where to get the parts to make it?  

Morning SAS

What country are you in? 

That 650GS spark plug wire is kind of a oddball in the BMW history, late enough to be a resisted wire with metallic spark plug cap but early enough to be pre  stick-coil. 

You might try 

https://bmwparts.crosscountrycycle.net/p/bmw__F650GS-Dakar/IGNITION-WIRE/42779951/12132346572.html

Or try

https://www.bmwestore.com/oem-parts/bmw-motorrad-ignition-wire-12132346572?c=Zz1lbmdpbmUtZWxlY3RyaWNhbC1zeXN0ZW0mcz1pZ25pdGlvbi13aXJlLXNwYXJrLXBsdWdzJmw9MSZuPUFzc2VtYmxpZXMgUGFnZSZhPWJtdy1tb3RvcnJhZCZvPWY2NTBncyZ5PTIwMDE%3D

They both show it in stock but do call first to verify they ACTUALLY STILL HAVE IT. 

Otherwise, possibly look at the (7mm)  Spark Plug Wire for the 1998-2000  Volkswagen Beetle. That  looks very similar & is a resisted wire.  Maybe you could make it work with a little fiddling. 

I usually make my own spark plug wires when I can't buy one that will work, but that depends on what I have handy and/or how much of the original spark plug wire ends I can save from the original to re-use. 

Hi DR

My rig has ABS.  What is the difference between the ABS and non ABS.  If you put that info in, the wire is not will not work?  What does the spark plug wire have to do with the ABS?  I am thinking interference? Frequency?  Pulse from spark?  I am totally confused.  This is what I have left.IMG_5031.thumb.JPG.13b006ef270bddab9fe39975504aea6e.JPGIMG_5032.thumb.JPG.373242d0e534ab6edd086c80c657d568.JPG

9 hours ago, SAS said:

Hi DR

My rig has ABS.  What is the difference between the ABS and non ABS.  If you put that info in, the wire is not will not work?  What does the spark plug wire have to do with the ABS?  I am thinking interference? Frequency?  Pulse from spark?  I am totally confused.  This is what I have left.

Morning SAS

My old  parts book shows that the 2002 650GS uses the 12132346572 ignition wire (spark plug wire), this is for a USA motorcycle. It doesn't show an ABS/non-ABS difference. 

You still haven't told up what country your motorcycle was sold in so possibly something different with a 650GS sold in another country. 

The second (lower)  listing that I linked to above NOW shows the 12132346572 ignition wire is out of stock (it didn't show that when I posted it).

Your ignition wire does have the RFI cap so that should still work OK, & the wire itself  would be a resisted wire so that should be the same. If there IS a difference between an ABS & non-ABS 650GS (my parts book doesn't show that) it would probably  be the coil location or wire routing  due to ABS module interfering. 

59 minutes ago, SAS said:

I don't know what country the bike was sold in.  I bought it used in the USA.  Can you tell by the vin?

Morning SAS

Possibly tell by the VIN , send me the last 7 digits of your VIN by personal message (PM) on this web site & I will run it for you. (don't post it in this thread)

Morning SAS

OK, I ran your VIN__ 

You have a  F650GS 01-04  (R13)      VIN:ZEXXXXX  Produced: 06/2001  (2002 model) originally sold in the USA. 

My parts book shows that F650GS uses  P/N--   12132346572   ignition wire (about 375 mm long). 

Morning SAS

If you can't find a new or used  12132346572   spark plug wire then you will have to improvise, the BMW 1200RS spark plug wire (the longest one) looks very similar but I don't know about wire length (you might be able to use the 1200RS plug wire & possibly have to slightly relocate the ignition coil)

Or, you need to try to (carefully) remove the remaining spark plug  wire pieces from your existing ends (those each have 1000 ohm resistors in them) then just buy a piece of generic spark plug wire from an auto parts store then install that between your existing ends. (I believe the spark plug wire screws into the ends) 

I do have an old BMW drawing that shows the 3 separate parts of your spark plug wire (including beru part numbers) but a quick search doesn't bring up any current sources). This might be a last resort thing but it won't be easy & sure won't be cheap. 

You might try calling BeemerBoneyard  (973) 775-3495,  they don't show a used 650GS spark plug wire in stock but they might be able to suggest a substitution for you (do mention the resistive end caps if they have something or have a suggestion) 

You might also try calling Euromotoelectric   (303) 526-0901  as they have some ignition parts but I'm not sure on the old 650GS. 

MNTUcB2.jpg

Hi D.R. 

Why is the resistance so important?   I don't have any radio products on the bike.  I ordered the 574 from cross country cycles.  It says that it a supersession of the 572, so it is worth a shot.  I am willing to spend the $100 if it will work.  If not then I will have to make something work.  Thank you for the info on the VIN.  

2 hours ago, SAS said:

Hi D.R. 

Why is the resistance so important?   I don't have any radio products on the bike.  I ordered the 574 from cross country cycles.  It says that it a supersession of the 572, so it is worth a shot.  I am willing to spend the $100 if it will work.  If not then I will have to make something work.  Thank you for the info on the VIN.  

Afternoon SAS

Hope the new wire works out OK for you, it should as it is listed under both part numbers.

On the plug wire resistance, there are a number of reasons for the resistance, from only non-resistor spark plugs being available for that particular engine, to coil protection if the system was designed to have spark plug circuit resistance, to a higher KV spark build in the coil before the actual spark jumps across the electrode gap. 

But the main reason (especially with resistance on both ends of the spark plug wire)  is EMI. (ElectroMagnetic Interference). With all of the electronics on your motorcycle (electronic fuel injection) & probably more importantly the electronics in your (ABS braking system)  the last thing you want is EMI interfering with their function.  

Hi D.R.

Thank you for the info.  I had all those as thoughts but was only thinking about radio interfere.  I should have suspected that, as my R1100R had major surge but with out removing the CP Pluge I was able to get most of the surge fixed.  Still had some until I found the O2 loom zipp tied to the spark plug wire.  Cut ties and rerouted the wire and now the Bike is surge free.  Result interference!  😎

12 hours ago, SAS said:

Hi D.R.

I am back to square one.  Plug wire not available.  https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/1K-Ohm-Wire-Set-BMW-R-Airhead-BMW-WSR182-p/bmw-wsr182.htm  Do you think this one will work?

Morning SAS

That looks to only have a resistor on the spark plug end. Probably not a real big deal but it has a slightly different coil-end that might or might not plug into your coil.

The 1200RS wire looks a lot closer if long enough.

Have you tried to dig the wire pieces out of your existing spark plug end & coil end. If you can get the pieces out & there are screw threads inside each then you can just use a generic spark plug wire & use your existing ends.

1 hour ago, SAS said:

Hi D.R.

That will be the next project trying to get the wire out.  What  years are the 1200RS that will work?

Morning SAS

Might work , not will work.

As for year? I don't know, you will have to find info then compare as much info as you can find. Personally I would probably look into the  1998-2004 K1200RS as those seem to look close. (picture below).   You might also look on E-Bay, or aftermarket, for a single wire, look at the longest wire as they vary per cylinder.  

I don't know anything definite it just looked to me like the 1200RS plug wire looked very similar.

uY314G1.jpg

The 1200RS does have an RFI grounding tab on the plug end cap (shouldn't effect anything). You could even run a wire from that tab to chassis ground if the plug cap doesn't properly contact the spark plug base. 

Hi D.R.

Well I have some good news today.  I was able to get the wire out of both ends and did not damage anything.  So the end is near now,  just need a 7MM wire and all will be well.  Thank you for all your support. 

• 1 month later...