IGNORED

Riding with kids

Brodiepunker18

Brodiepunker18

Any tips or tricks for helping me with my son riding for the first time? He’s 6 and wants to ride with me sometimes.

I got him his own helmet and I got him a jacket today—albeit is probably too big…

I also bought and installed adjustable child foot pegs for him to have solid foot placement.

I have a 99 R1100RT with a trunk so he has a place to lean back as well.

815D6475-3EB4-49C0-BF4A-30F892523984.thumb.jpeg.2905b0408d5c871c5d2f9447dcf9c3fd.jpeg

Thanks,

Eric

Brodiepunker18

@TEWKS

i wonder if something like those handholds couldn’t be fabricated to attach to the frame instead of me. Then it’s solid. 

that’s how my tank bag attaches on the seat side of the tank…could probably make something similar. 🤔

I think he'd be more inclined and comfortable hanging on to you rather than the bike.

I took my 8 year old grandson for a ride on my Harley, it has armrests on the trunk that wedge him in a bit for a little more peace of mind. If you're really concerned, it might be an accessory you could bolt on.

I forget what your saddlebag handles look like and can you operate the bike with them up? (as in the carry position) 

These would extend the handles up enough for him to grab on to.

I do kinda agree with the above suggestion, you’d have a better feel for how he’s doing back there by the different tugs on the belt. Constant tugging, he’s excited, random tugs, he’s enjoying himself, no tugs, oh shit he fell asleep! :jaw::classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Putting arms down to the side to hold on doesn't come as naturally as putting them out in front of you.

Think of riding as a passenger in a race car, would you rather have hand holds down at the side of the seat by your hips, or a grab bar out in front of you?

• Like 1
Brodiepunker18
20 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I think he'd be more inclined and comfortable hanging on to you rather than the bike.

I took my 8 year old grandson for a ride on my Harley, it has armrests on the trunk that wedge him in a bit for a little more peace of mind. If you're really concerned, it might be an accessory you could bolt on.

That’s kinda what I was thinking…some sort of bolt on grab handles that would strap between the seats.

and for communication, I was considering getting another cardo so we could talk back and forth. We have walkie talkies in the van that I just got him for his birthday last month and he loves chattering on that with me.

Brodiepunker18

The handles do come up however I’d be worried they aren’t high enough to grab onto yet. He’s only 6. 😂

Brodiepunker18

That’s an idea for sure. That’s kind of what I was thinking with the frame by the seats as well. 👍🏻

• Like 1

I'm not sure I would trust those carry handles on the bags to carry that type of load. They're made to carry the weight of the saddlebag and contents, not the weight of a shifting body, even if it's only 40 to 60 pounds. Plastic handles held by thin pins. Not my ideal anchor system.

Brodiepunker18
5 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I'm not sure I would trust those carry handles on the bags to carry that type of load. They're made to carry the weight of the saddlebag and contents, not the weight of a shifting body, even if it's only 40 to 60 pounds. Plastic handles held by thin pins. Not my ideal anchor system.

I agree. Plus I wouldn’t think there’s enough clearance to have the handles down and locked with those on there. I like the idea but I’m more in line to do that with the frame which won’t move or break.

Brodiepunker18
2 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I was thinking something like this. Many choices available other than this particular one.

https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/BMW_R1200_RT_R1250_RT_Passenger_Armrest_Set

35521102_wunderlich_r1200_r1250_passenger_armrest_01.jpg.80962ac768065baa082f30b0437b8f14.jpg

That is awesome and I wonder if I can have something made that’s similar…. Removable so if he isn’t with me I can take them off easily…and attach to the rack like those do

I googled motorcycle armrest, then BMW motorcycle armrest. All kinds of options out there. I believe the ones I showed will fold up out of the way.

56 minutes ago, Brodiepunker18 said:

The handles do come up however I’d be worried they aren’t high enough to grab onto yet. He’s only 6. 😂

Lifting one of the handles unlatches the panier from the bike. Lifting both of the handles lets the panier lid open. Neither one would be suitable for riding.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
Brodiepunker18

Yeah. I’m excited. My ex wife isn’t agreeable whatsoever though. But it’s not her choice. Hopefully I can make a short ride happen soon. Just need to find someone to watch my daughter and I can. lol

• Like 1