IGNORED

Ride quality.

kruuuzn

I rode my '04 RT 150 miles today to my local dealer to test ride a new RT.

Is it my imagination or does the new bike ride much rougher than my old bike? I noticed this right away. It seems like I felt every tar strip across the road.

Is it me?

It'd help to state which modes you were using; it makes a big difference. I'm talking about the suspension mode (dynamic, normal, comfort), PLUS the preload mode (min, auto, max), which can only be changed while stopped... at least that was the case with my ex-2014 RT (and current 2020 R1250R). And the difference from comfort/'min', to dynamic/'max', is VERY noticeable. I haven't ridden the newest RT models, so cannot help you there... but I can tell you the RT is still more sport than touring oriented IMO, and that's probably why it's so popular. If you want a more plush tourer, then the K1600GTL is for you IMO. Hope this helps.

12 hours ago, kruuuzn said:

I rode my '04 RT 150 miles today to my local dealer to test ride a new RT.

Is it my imagination or does the new bike ride much rougher than my old bike? I noticed this right away. It seems like I felt every tar strip across the road.

Is it me?

Morning  kruuuzn

It probably isn't you, the newer BMW RT's run higher tire pressures so that alone makes things like tar strips, road seams, & raised edges feel harsher, plus your old 1150rt probably has worn shocks so the suspension is well worn in (the new BMW that you rode is probably still a bit stiff),  then as ELP mentioned, the new RT has a number of different suspension settings with some of those settings leading to a harsher ride. 

If it is a concern then take another test ride but this time tell the dealer to set the new motorcycle's suspension to best (softest) ride before you ride it. Also have them verify the the tire pressures are set to the correct specs. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses guys.

I took a fairly long ride and toggled through different riding modes but didn’t notice much of a difference in ride quality. Although our rough Michigan roads don’t help much. 

I was wondering about the tire pressures also. I see they now recommend 36/42 where as I run my ‘04 at 32/36 per the manual. That’s a big difference, especially on the rear.

Another thing I thought about is the fact they didn’t have any cases on the bike (side or top case) making the rear lighter. Although this bike is so advanced that maybe it compensates for that automatically?

I would think the dampening could be softened up also to more of what I’m used. I’m probably making a mountain out if a mole hill.

But I did notice ONE difference that made me grin: I screwed on the throttle with a light hold of the grips. Holy crap, THAT was a mistake. It damn near pulled my hands off the bars. The darn thing is fast.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, kruuuzn said:

Thanks for the responses guys.

I took a fairly long ride and toggled through different riding modes but didn’t notice much of a difference in ride quality. Although our rough Michigan roads don’t help much. 

I was wondering about the tire pressures also. I see they now recommend 36/42 where as I run my ‘04 at 32/36 per the manual. That’s a big difference, especially on the rear.

Another thing I thought about is the fact they didn’t have any cases on the bike (side or top case) making the rear lighter. Although this bike is so advanced that maybe it compensates for that automatically?

I would think the dampening could be softened up also to more of what I’m used. I’m probably making a mountain out if a mole hill.

But I did notice ONE difference that made me grin: I screwed on the throttle with a light hold of the grips. Holy crap, THAT was a mistake. It damn near pulled my hands off the bars. The darn thing is fast.

Morning  kruuuzn

You might try running your 1150 tires up to 36/42 as a test just to see how that effects what you feel. At least that will give you an idea on how tire pressures effect sharp edge bumps. 

I can't recommend against the BMW recommended tire pressures  but I probably would not run that high on my own when traveling unloaded. 

23 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  kruuuzn

You might try running your 1150 tires up to 36/42 as a test just to see how that effects what you feel. At least that will give you an idea on how tire pressures effect sharp edge bumps. 

I can't recommend against the BMW recommended tire pressures  but I probably would not run that high on my own when traveling unloaded. 

Good idea.

Thanks!

As mentioned, you can't change the preload (one up, two up, luggage) while moving, the bike must be stopped. Were you able to see change that setting, or at least verify it was one up no luggage?

I have ridden my '19 RT without the top case and side cases.  Yeah, it does  make a difference.   I could feel how light the back end was; I did not like it enough to make it a habit.   For the most part, I ride it with all the cases attached. 

For all around commuting, I have the ESA in Road mode.   When in the twisties, I use Dynamic until we hit some Ken roads and I switch it back to Road again.   :grin:

3 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

I have ridden my '19 RT without the top case and side cases.  Yeah, it does  make a difference.   I could feel how light the back end was; I did not like it enough to make it a habit.   For the most part, I ride it with all the cases attached.

That makes sense to me. I always ride my 2004 with all three cases on the bike. And they're never empty either. I always have odds and ends with me (tire repair kit, pump, couple of tools, etc).

After everybody's help and some more thought I decided to pull the trigger today and put a down payment on the bike. Racing blue metallic with the large top case (with central lock & brake light).

Too bad they didn't have red this year. haha

Thanks again everyone!

• Like 3