IGNORED

Weaverville 2024

Twisties

Hi, 

Weaverville was started by Dave Swift and I.  Dave was pushing me to start an event and finally we put something together in Ft.  Bragg.  We posted it and got a pretty good turn out and folk wanted to do it again, despite the torrential rain.  So Dave, Sharon and I rode off to look for a venue.  I was about to ride past The Red Hill, when Dave turned in.  We all loved the courtyard, Patty, and the covered parking.  So, it happened.  

Originally, it was called "Dead Center in the Middle of Nowhere" and in the original post I said the May event would move around within the boundaries from Ft. Bragg, CA to Florence, OR, and between I-5 and the coast.  But, even if The Red Hill wasn't much to brag about, folk liked the riding, the courtyard, and the proximity to restaurants and bars.  We still talked every year about moving it, but everyone wanted to stay.  

Sharon and I moved in 2020, then came covid.  Then Patty died.  A series of folk have kept it alive despite all of that.  I think @stubble! did it one year, @RTRuss did it last year and @BendBill did it this year.  Kudos to you all.  

What I am hearing is that The Red Hill didn't work out this year, and turn out was low.  Some are speaking of moving the event.  Personally, I would strongly recommend The Surf Motel and Gardens in Ft Bragg, but I am hearing of interest in taking it east of I-5.  My reason for writing is just to remind everyone that this event was always supposed to move.  I don't even know how it got to be called Weaverville....  well actually I do, Dave hated the Dead Center in the Middle of Nowhere thing.  I think the name should be changed, and it should start moving.  I don't really get a vote because it's doubtful I will be there.  But I wanted to get the discussion going.  

• Like 1

Thanks, Jan, for the history.  Your post will serve as our discussion thread for setting up 2024

There were 9 of us this year, all but me at the Red Hill.  Great weather and riding, with the usual camaraderie, as well as tales around the picnic table, some of them true.  Several  people found the Red Hill wanting, with little evidence of needed renovation, plus the ranks of year-round motel residents are growing.

Weaverville, like John Day, OR, has the advantage of great loop roads in every direction.  I know that Jim B would be happy to explore more of them.  However, a number of riders suggested moving, so your note is timely.

Maybe we should call it the Moveable NorCal or something like that.

At any rate some riders thought of Quincy or Lake Almanor area.  Your idea of Fort Bragg looks also looks promising.  The majority wanted to keep an early June date, allowing two weeks afterTorrey.

What say the rest of you on new locations?  Feel free to chime in 

Rob Nowell

While the roads were terrific, I will not be staying in Weaverville again.  Since I am a newer member, I understand that my vote will carry a very limited weight, but I WOULD travel to the other mentioned locations to take part.  Thanks to you, Bill, for your work.  It was nice meeting you!

Thanks, Rob, nice to meet you.    IIRC, most riders preferred to move to another location next year

Some of us have had discussions away from this board about the possibility of a move. And not just this year. Most of us agree that if Red Hill had survived, we’d still be there. But it hasn’t. And it’s time to move on, in the spirit of the original intent of Jan and Dave. I’ve found a few places, and will get firsthand knowledge of conditions and local riding, then report back. I suggest others to do the same. Maybe each year, in advance of an event, folks propose new locations. As for the name of the event? Don’t care, but at least incorporate the town name each year as the group decides. Like "Dead Center in the Middle of Nowhere", Bum [censored] Egypt.

Our location criteria seems always unanimous. Great loop routes, good weather, decent rooms at reasonable price, and if possible, a brewery…😉

Dates? 1st weekend in June works best I think.  Generally Sierra passes are open, and crowds have gone home after Memorial Day. 

Keep the ride alive.

• Like 4

Just thinking out loud....If Ramona isn't always in Ramona.....North, North Meets South, and South?  Not very imaginative, but straight to the point.

Sad the Red Hill is likely no more but we all saw it coming.  I'm all for moving it around - call it whatever. "NorCalNoWhere". I'll keep coming. I do have a couple of family birthdays that make it tough to get away Memorial Day and the week after. 

This year I could only drop in due to said commitments. Chatted with Mark and Thor at the Red Hill, and passed Russ and the gang near Etna going the opposite way. Did get to ride the Forks with my girl so that was nice but missed seeing everyone else. Next year. Fort Bragg would be a great base... Oroville/Paradise?

Maybe we can still get Jan and Sharon out after all....

P1080280.jpeg

P1080219.jpeg

IMG_6818.jpg

• Like 6

I'm sorry to hear about the red hill but can't say I'm shocked.... If you're looking to go east I think you should consider Susanville. Unfortunately Lassen is never going to be open that early so you might as well just pop over the hill and that way you have some riding options. Plus Susanville has plenty of good hotels and restaurant and it shouldn't be sweltering at that time of year.

• Like 3

Hot off the presses from my mailbox 30 mins ago--from the newest 4th edition of Butler motorcycle maps, NorCal. 

1 is Ft Bragg and Ukiah; 2 AND 3 are from points N-E-S-W radiating from Quincy [ or Susanville ]  Lots of twisties

1-Ft Bragg Ukiah.jpg

2-Quincy 1.jpg

3-Quincy 2.jpg

• Like 1
On 6/15/2023 at 7:34 PM, BendBill said:

Hot off the presses from my mailbox 30 mins ago--from the newest 4th edition of Butler motorcycle maps, NorCal. 

1 is Ft Bragg and Ukiah; 2 AND 3 are from points N-E-S-W radiating from Quincy [ or Susanville ]  Lots of twisties

1-Ft Bragg Ukiah.jpg

2-Quincy 1.jpg

3-Quincy 2.jpg

Oh, I like all the pretty colors!!!

• Smile 1
  • 5 months later...

Hi, Rob,

I cannot do planning this year due to my wife's medical condition so doubtful if I can go.  I will make it there or wherever if I can. 

I do think early June is a nice time.  I also think other areas in Nor Cal could work out.  The Lassen/Lake Almanor/Quincy area looks super for a few days

Does anyone have an interest in setting things up.  It's a good group of riders and beautiful country.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

I'm easy. Eureka is nice, and so is Quincy. Both offer great riding. Quincy has limited evening dining options.

FYI: I don't know if the Surf Motel is closed or just not taking reservations that far out, but I got no availability for those dates in June.

Rob Nowell

I am unfamiliar with the roads, so I don't have knowledge to input.  However, I am willing to do any random legwork I can (living in SoCal, but retired) to help out.

• 4 weeks later...
Rob Nowell

As a FYI note, Modesto is having its "American Graffiti Car Show" on June 8 weekend.   I am thinking about making this a stop on the way home...

• Like 1

Also a reminder for anyone meeting in NorCal in early June: The BMW MOA rally is Jun 13-15 in Redmond OR, 350+ miles north                https://rally.bmwmoa.org/

I *think*  the fee is $129, which includes free camping for 3 nights.  No info yet on day pass fees

• 4 weeks later...
Rob Nowell

Has anyone begun working on a revamp here?  I will do what I can to assist!

• chrisolson pinned, unpinned and featured this topic

Fort Bragg is nice with some good riding of coerce ..Last year while coming back from Atasadarow I stayed at the Surf Motel and found the market next door with restaurants within reach a good bonus.... plus the room rate was nice . if memory serves about 79.00. 

• 1 month later...
  • Dennis Andress unfeatured this topic