IGNORED

Recent issues

RPG

On my way to the National via way of the Blue Ridge Parkway. 
2004 RT. 131k

started idling erratically and stalling at idle. When i left on Sat the bike was running perfect and idling at 1100. Now its idling at 800 or less and started doing this a while after leaving MI.  
Also, before I left i added 6oz of Seafoam. Other than the weird idle change, it runs strong and smooth. I dont have my GS-911 with me so diagnosing more than with my ears is a burden. :)

16 hours ago, RPG said:

On my way to the National via way of the Blue Ridge Parkway. 
2004 RT. 131k

started idling erratically and stalling at idle. When i left on Sat the bike was running perfect and idling at 1100. Now its idling at 800 or less and started doing this a while after leaving MI.  
Also, before I left i added 6oz of Seafoam. Other than the weird idle change, it runs strong and smooth. I dont have my GS-911 with me so diagnosing more than with my ears is a burden. :)

Morning Rick

That is a lot of Seafoam for one tank of fuel.

See if your idle gets better after you run that tank of fuel through it. If not then see if it will run on just the lower spark plugs (probably will need to hold the throttle open a little to keep it running). If it doesn't run somewhat OK then feel the exhaust pipes to see if both are about the same temperature.

Then do the same seeing if it will run on just the upper spark plugs. 

As a rule the engine will run OK on just the uppers but won't idle very high, probably low idle & stall a lot. 

It will also run on just the lowers but typically with less power & not run like normal, some stalling at idle is also possible. 

If it runs good enough to ride now & you can't find anything obviously wrong while on the road then you can ride with the choke on (it is just a fast idle device on your 1150, no added fueling). That way you should be able to ride it without stalling at idle. 

If the R/H side lower spark plug wire is running near the o2 sensor pig tail that can easily cause erratic idle & stalling. (I believe you have already addressed this unless it somehow became mis-routed again)

A malfunctioning o2 sensor can also cause your stalling problem (possibly that Seafoam has effected your o2 sensor). Or the o2 sensor pigtail could be hanging down near the exhaust, if it becomes burnt that could cause your stalling. You could try an o2 disconnect but that isn't an easy thing while on the road.  

You should be able to find someone with a GS-911 at the National  (just ask around as a lot of riders carry a GS-911). Problem is, that might not tell you a lot if you don't have an actual fault setting problem (most fueling or spark issues don't set a fault). You will probably need to ride with a GS-911 hooked up to the motorcycle trapping the data stream until you get the stall then try to find the fault in the captured data. 

If you can get a GS-911 on the motorcycle, get it running hot then see if the o2 sensor (lambda sensor) output voltage is cycling & cycling across (above & below)  .5 volts & not stuck at one voltage.  After hooking up the GS-911 give a few minutes ruining time to go into closed loop operation.

By the way, personally, I'm not a big fan of using Seafoam in modern electronically controlled fuel injected vehicles, next time use a little Techron (much more effective in a fuel injected system), save the Seafoam for carbureted boat engines with a distributor. A little Seafoam isn't bad for long term winter storage though. 

2 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Rick

That is a lot of Seafoam for one tank of fuel.

See if your idle gets better after you run that tank of fuel through it. If not then see if it will run on just the lower spark plugs (probably will need to hold the throttle open a little to keep it running). If it doesn't run somewhat OK then feel the exhaust pipes to see if both are about the same temperature.

Then do the same seeing if it will run on just the upper spark plugs. 

As a rule the engine will run OK on just the uppers but won't idle very high, probably low idle & stall a lot. 

It will also run on just the lowers but typically with less power & not run like normal, some stalling at idle is also possible. 

If it runs good enough to ride now & you can't find anything obviously wrong while on the road then you can ride with the choke on (it is just a fast idle device on your 1150, no added fueling). That way you should be able to ride it without stalling at idle. 

If the R/H side lower spark plug wire is running near the o2 sensor pig tail that can easily cause erratic idle & stalling. (I believe you have already addressed this unless it somehow became mis-routed again)

A malfunctioning o2 sensor can also cause your stalling problem (possibly that Seafoam has effected your o2 sensor). Or the o2 sensor pigtail could be hanging down near the exhaust, if it becomes burnt that could cause your stalling. You could try an o2 disconnect but that isn't an easy thing while on the road.  

You should be able to find someone with a GS-911 at the National  (just ask around as a lot of riders carry a GS-911). Problem is, that might not tell you a lot if you don't have an actual fault setting problem (most fueling or spark issues don't set a fault). You will probably need to ride with a GS-911 hooked up to the motorcycle trapping the data stream until you get the stall then try to find the fault in the captured data. 

If you can get a GS-911 on the motorcycle, get it running hot then see if the o2 sensor (lambda sensor) output voltage is cycling & cycling across (above & below)  .5 volts & not stuck at one voltage.  After hooking up the GS-911 give a few minutes ruining time to go into closed loop operation.

By the way, personally, I'm not a big fan of using Seafoam in modern electronically controlled fuel injected vehicles, next time use a little Techron (much more effective in a fuel injected system), save the Seafoam for carbureted boat engines with a distributor. A little Seafoam isn't bad for long term winter storage though. 

Thanks D.R. Great advice as usual. I pulled the upper plugs this morning since theyre easier to access. Good spark on both Autolite 3923 plugs. Until I get to the rally, I’ll pick up some new top and bottom plugs snd go from there. 
Gas mileage has slipped also. Last tank was 37mpg. Normal is in the mid to high 40’s. I guess I shouldn’t have dine the Seafoam….:(

1 minute ago, RPG said:

Thanks D.R. Great advice as usual. I pulled the upper plugs this morning since theyre easier to access. Good spark on both Autolite 3923 plugs. Until I get to the rally, I’ll pick up some new top and bottom plugs snd go from there. 
Gas mileage has slipped also. Last tank was 37mpg. Normal is in the mid to high 40’s. I guess I shouldn’t have dine the Seafoam….:(

Morning Rick

If you get another chance see if it will run on just the lower plugs (unplug the upper coils), if it won't run, or barely run, then check the exhaust pipes for both being hot. This might point a finger to where or where not to look. 

2 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Rick

If you get another chance see if it will run on just the lower plugs (unplug the upper coils), if it won't run, or barely run, then check the exhaust pipes for both being hot. This might point a finger to where or where not to look. 

It does run on just the lower plugs. My mileage has definitely dropped and my buddy riding behind me has noted the richer running. Im going to try and find a O2 sensor and new plugs. Do you recall what the Bosch O2 sensor number is that plugs in directly to the stock RT harness?

1 hour ago, RPG said:

It does run on just the lower plugs. My mileage has definitely dropped and my buddy riding behind me has noted the richer running. Im going to try and find a O2 sensor and new plugs. Do you recall what the Bosch O2 sensor number is that plugs in directly to the stock RT harness?

Afternoon Rick 

I'm not near my shop computer today but I believe it is the Bosch 15109.

You can ride it without the o2 sensor connected as a test (they will run OK like that, just not ideal for long term but won't hurt anything). It should be quite ridable without the o2 connected.  You might have a difficult time removing your current o2 sensor while on the road. 

Or just cut your existing o2 pigtail low under the motorcycle then run it like for the remainder of your trip then install  a universal o2 when you return home (that is why you need to cut the pigtail near the o2 sensor as you will need the upper  part of that pigtail). If you cut it then make sure to slightly separate the chassis side wire ends as the cut could possibly  fuse the copper wires together.   

This should be a picture of your late (flat connector) OEM o2 sensor so if you go with the Bosch 15109 compare to this picture before buying. Wire colors might be different but that shouldn't matter as they end up at the correct connector pins.

If you cut the pigtail wires, or unplug the o2 sensor, or install a new one,  be sure to remove #5 fuse for about 20 minutes (to re-set the Motronic fueling adaptives). If you have a defective o2 issue now the adaptives might be way off. Then do a new key-on  (do not start) 2 full throttle opening/closings to re-teach the TPS. 

sKsvlbd.jpg

2 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

Greetings D.R. wouldn't pulling the ccp disable the o2 ?

Afternoon taylor1

NO, removing the CCP only disables the o2 on the 1100 Ma 2.2 systems. The 1150 Ma 2.4 system doesn't have that ability. 

Just a follow-up. I was able to get Euromotoelectrics to 2 day air me a new O2 sensor to the rally. Took a couple hours to get it installed.

Cleared the Motronic and the bike ran flawless (with a perfect 1100 rpm idle) all the way home to MI. Even recorded a high of 48.9mpg through the mountains of WV.

Although my brother-in-law ruined his motor (also a 2004 RT) by mistakenly putting diesel in the tank, and another buddy's bike ('99 R1100s) died at a filling station, it was a great trip.

My old RT turned 133k, didn't use any oil and lesson learned, stay away from SeaFoam!