IGNORED

Spline time in So Cal

beemerman2k

beemerman2k

OK, a year ago this month, the splines on my input shaft failed, leaving me stranded by the side of the 5 freeway in Pacoima at 10PM. My tranny is showing the same signs of failure now that it did then by resisting my desire to downshift. Not wanting to wait until I'm stranded again, who can recommend a good shop where I can take my bike to get it fixed?

I didn't think the mechanic I used last year did a good job, and the fact that 23K miles later I'm in the same position again pretty much proves the point. So he's out. I'm about to start phoning dealers to get some quotes, but before I just gamble on anyone again, I'd like to go to someone who comes highly recommended by a member of this forum.

What say ye o faithful few?

beemerman2k

I have neither the time nor the resources to do it myself. This is not an option for me. Thanks anyhow.

Frank Cloud

beemerman:

Was this due to an alignment issue or something else?

Sorry to hijack since I don't have the answer to your question.

Unfortunately, you appear to be in the same position as I find myself right now with my K12RS.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/683824

Your spline failure is most likely due to engine / transmission misalignment so just changing the parts won’t permanently fix the problem. I wouldn’t blame your last mechanic unless you know he specifically tried to realign the two components. However, that type of repair is outside the capabilities of a regular repair shop, pretty much requiring the services of a full-blown machine shop. Do you know how he fixed the problem last time (changed the transmission input shaft or changed the entire transmission)? Even if you take this to a BMW dealer they will likely do the same thing (for allot more money) and you will probably be in the same position in another 20K miles from now.

Since you have ruled out doing the repairs yourself, at this point, I would say your options are:

1) Take the bike to a Machine Shop, not a mechanic, and tell them what needs to be done. However, that will likely be a costly and lengthy repair.

2) Accept the spline/clutch rebuild and cost as part of the normal maintenance requirements for this bike until the alignment problem is corrected.

3) Sell the bike.

Don’t get my wrong; I’m not trying to be flippant about #3. I just think you should be realistic about what it’s going to take to keep this bike now that you know it has a problem requiring a deeper fix than just changing some parts.

Regards

Derek

I have neither the time nor the resources to do it myself. This is not an option for me. Thanks anyhow.

yeah...well I hear that too!!

Good Luck thumbsup.gif

beemerman2k

It was done wrong a year ago, there's no doubt about that.

Now, as far as the misalignment problem, the original setup lasted 70K miles before failing. Were I to get anywhere near that, I'd chalk it up to a misalignment issue. But 23K? No, something else was wrong when I got it fixed last year, of that I have no doubt.

I like my bike so much, that I'd live with having to redo this job every 70K miles if I had to. Every 20K is out of the question, however.

I'd go back an talk to the guy who did it last. Tell him the problem, ask what he used for spline lube, see if he'll give you a deal to pull the transmission and see what's going on. Could be a little fresh grease on the splines might fix your problem. If he doesn't use Honda Moly 60, buy him a tube.

How did they go about fixing it? New parts ,used parts, new clutch, used trans....?

Are you sure it's the splines?

beemerman2k

The mechanic who did the work a year ago pretty much lost a ton of credibility in my eyes. He suggested I move my fuel filter to an external unit therefore making it easier to change. I OK's the move. The very next day after I picked up my bike, I was left stranded on the side of the PCH highway because one of the fuel hoses busted. I posted the incident on this forum and Shovelstroke Ed accurately guessed that the mechanic did not use fuel injection grade hoses on my bike. Sure enough, that's what happened. I had to have him redo the work.

A few months after that episode, another mechanic at RPM Cycles noticed that the hoses were cracking! So I had RPM Cycles undo all that work and put the fuel filter back to where it was in the first place.

In any case, ever since he worked on my bike, there has been a grinding sound eminating from my transmission whenver the clutch is engaged -- if I'm in neutral or riding, there are parts in the tranny that are grinding. The mechanic at RPM Cycles told me that it was the input shaft wearing away prematurely because it was not properly installed by that mechanic. This was last August I was told this and I was assured the work done would not last long.

Well, it's lasted longer than RPM Cycles thought it would, but it's definitely on the way out now. I have trouble downshifting just like I did prior to the first failure a year ago. That mechanic who did the work is not ever going to touch my bike I don't care if the work is for free! My life depends upon my bike working properly and he has lost all credibility and trust in my eyes. So I won't be taking my bike anywhere near his shop.

I'm going to have RPM Cycles repair/replace the splines. The estimated cost is going to be about $700 -- much cheaper than the $2000 I paid last June when it failed. Oh, and RPM Cycles explained to me that the problem with these units is the alignment of the input shaft. They're quite knowledgable about the situation so I am pretty confident they will do a good job on my bike -- they always do in fact. The only reason I didn't let them fix my bike a year ago is because my bike stranded me too far away from their shop. So next week, RPM Cycles will fix my bike thumbsup.gif

...the original setup lasted 70K miles before failing...

Hmmm...could be he just replaced the clutch disc and not the transmission input shaft. The worn splines on the old shaft may have accelerated the wear on the new clutch disc. I would definitely try to find out what was done the first time. Maybe with a new clutch disc AND input shaft your misalignment might be small enough to give you another 70K. I don't know what you paid before but it may be worth it to go to a BMW dealer since they will need to open up the tranny. Your probably looking at close to $2k though.

Wow, $700!

A new clutch plate, transmission shaft and seals will run close to $300 alone. That's allot of work for $400.

Let us know how things turn out.

DR

Who worked on your bike last year. You usually recommend rpm. if you do not want to post it can you send me a pm. . I hope it workes out ok. I may be taking my bike in for a service.

beemerman2k
Who worked on your bike last year. You usually recommend rpm. if you do not want to post it can you send me a pm. . I hope it workes out ok. I may be taking my bike in for a service.

I'll just say that his shop is in Harbor City, CA.

I understand that Long Beach BMW is a good shop. In any case, RPM Cycles has always done right by me, so that's where I'm going this time around. Originally, I thought I'd have to go to a dealer, but I talked to Gary over at RPM and he assured me that they could do the work. When he explained the alignment issues I realized that he does indeed understand the problem.

I just want to chime in and say The RPM crew are great folks! Jody is a total hoot to talk with and she's really enthusiastic. Next time any of you ride/ drive through Ventura during Business hours stop in and say hey. You'll enjoy it.

Archived