IGNORED

Normandy 79 years ago

Skywagon

June 06, 1944. The greatest generation saved the world. We lost a lot of young men that day. RIP.
Time for Putin to join Hitler with a dirt nap. 

F4E29896-AD43-46C6-A16F-D62F3A1BE463.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Plus 1 2

My wife and I visited Normandy a couple of years ago when we were in France.   One does not realize what a gauntlet those men faced coming in on that open expanse of beach until you actually see it from the German's vantage point.  The German bunkers that overlook the beaches are still in place.  When you look down on the beach from the bunkers you can just see how easy it was to just sit there and shoot the oncoming Allied forces.  It was truly mind numbing to actually see and try to put yourself in the mindset of the American forces that stormed the beach and were like fish being shot in a barrel. Truly amazing.  Also, bomb craters from the bombing of the warships off shore are still present behind the bunkers.  Again, truly amazing.  Your picture of the cemetery brings back the memory of our visit there as well.  It was not something that I thought much about prior to our visit, but seeing the dates of death on each of the crosses being on the same day, or at most a couple of days after the invasion, was dramatic.  It really hit home the sacrifices that were made that day.  

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1
2 minutes ago, Ron-M said:

My wife and I visited Normandy

On my bucket list. I’ve traveled extensively and don’t like to travel anymore… but Normandy is on the list. I understand the French there still like and are grateful for Americans. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Hitting on what Ron was saying. One of my school time buddy’s father fought overseas, exactly where I don’t remember. (he was one of the older Fathers in the group of friends for a time reference). Anyway, the story was they were advancing in a forested area at night towards the battle area. Gun fire, explosions, screams when all of a sudden, a fellow soldier runs past him in the opposite direction. The interesting and shocking part, he had no legs below the knees! :classic_ohmy: 

I can’t confirm this story as factual (I believed it) but, I do think the will to survive is a tremendous force. 

• Like 2

@Skywagon Thanks for posting this. A scan of various online news sites reveals a shocking lack of acknowledging June 6/D-Day and that includes both left and right leaning web sites. I found a reference buried near the bottom of ABCnews.com's site but that was the lone example. Even here in military heavy Colorado Springs there's no mention in the online newspaper. 

Shocking. 

• Plus 1 1

June 6th has always been acknowledged, almost reverently, since I was a kid. Sadly it seems now it has been lost unless a milestone anniversary at the decade marks.

The incredible actions of all the military personnel that day and in that action is hard to grasp.

To stand at a military cemetery, and see all the markers, it is humbling and sad.

June 6th always matters to me.

• Like 5
51 minutes ago, beemerboy said:

Even here in military heavy Colorado Springs there's no mention in the online newspaper. 

Shocking. 

Sad especially since the 4th Infantry Division headquartered at Fort Carson landed 1st on Utah Beach.

Normandy is worth the trip, I'd love to go back. I was on a work trip in Baumholder GE and me and a colleague had some free time and drove over for the weekend. Karl served in combat with the 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 82nd Airborne and I served in combat with 2nd Battalion 16th Infantry of the Big Red One. 2-16 landed first on Easy Red of Omaha Beach.  Unreal to stand in the German fighting positions and to see the field of fire they had with their machine guns.  Point du Hoc was a unreal feat what it took to scale the cliff under fire is hard to fathom. There is a great little museum in Saint Mere Eglise as well. The trip brings to light the sacrifice made by those brave Soldiers. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

June 6th has always been acknowledged, almost reverently, since I was a kid. Sadly it seems now it has been lost unless a milestone anniversary at the decade marks.

The incredible actions of all the military personnel that day and in that action is hard to grasp.

To stand at a military cemetery, and see all the markers, it is humbling and sad.

June 6th always matters to me.

Every Memorial Day I ride (weather permitting otherwise I drive) to visit my parents at Ft. Logan National Cemetery. Dad (Merchant Marines, WWII, Air Force in Korea & Viet Nam) passed away way too early due in part to health issues related to his service in WWII. 

Ft.%20Logan-L.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mike, I am glad you mentioned Point du Hoc.  I did not mention it because I could not recall the name. Looking over the cliff from the top and trying to understand the bravery and the shear determination of those men is humbling.  We visited the museum you mentioned as well.  A very nice tribute.  

• Like 1

The great descriptive words of Andy. :thumbsup: Question, why didn’t anyone close to him ever take a hedge trimmer to those freaky eyebrows of his….:spittake:

• Like 1