IGNORED

1100 how does rear brake centre

man1nvan

i am fitting new brake pads to my 1100 but when i go to refit the caliper the disc fouls the silver mounting bracket ,   Should the black caliper "float" on the silver bracket is this correct?  if so mine is seized   any tips on freeing it up

IMG20230602085240.thumb.jpg.4a276dcb17f8a7dd16af10baeb84e470.jpg

King Herald

I had the same problem recently, it looked like it can't physically fit.... but it did after a bit of wiggling and sliding the caliper along the pins. They do go a bit further into the caliper than first appears. There is very little clearance twixt bracket and disc.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, man1nvan said:

i am fitting new brake pads to my 1100 but when i go to refit the caliper the disc fouls the silver mounting bracket ,   Should the black caliper "float" on the silver bracket is this correct?  if so mine is seized   any tips on freeing it up

Morning  man1nvan

Yes, the caliper floats on the pins that are attached to the silver mounting bracket (the hex looking thing on the bracket is the pin ( 2 pins). 

You should remove the silver bracket then clean & lubricate the pins with high temp brake lube.

If those pins (the caliper sliding on them is not smooth & free) then your fixed brake pad (non piston side) will quickly wear due to brake drag).

Thanks Dirtrider   it was seized solid with rust on the front slider pin, it was a hell of a game to free it so i have temporarily greased it and re assembled but i reckon i need a new set of pins in there

19 minutes ago, man1nvan said:

Thanks Dirtrider   it was seized solid with rust on the front slider pin, it was a hell of a game to free it so i have temporarily greased it and re assembled but i reckon i need a new set of pins in there

Morning  man1nvan

I don't think those pins are available separately (at least from BMW), you might try calling BeemerBoneyard to see what they have to offer, or buy a used caliper complete with bracket & pins on E-Bay. (ask for a picture of the pins before buying as an awful lot will be corroded like yours are now)

The larger pin (thrust pin) is less than half the problem with rear calipers not sliding/floating properly. The smaller pin is only there for alignment as it is riding in a rubber sleeve pulled thru an opening in the caliper.

The real problem is that the larger pin is steel and the fixed bracket that it slides in is aluminum alloy, so much softer.

If you see significant shiny worn portions on the steel pin (especially out near it's end) then you can be sure that the matching contact spots in the backing bracket bore are worn too.

I salvaged some better looking pins once from a donor caliper to try to solve a hanging up issue on my rear caliper, and this didn't help because there was too much material "hogged out" of the receiving hole in the fixed bracket.

My only relief came in the form of another salvage, low mileage, caliper and bracket from eBay.

Brad 

1 hour ago, Boxflyer said:

If you see significant shiny worn portions on the steel pin (especially out near it's end) then you can be sure that the matching contact spots in the backing bracket bore are worn too.

mine is rattling around  it is proper knackered, rust got it!  i will start hunting for a decent 2nd hand one