IGNORED

Do Wunderlich Armrests Work With Older 49L Top Case?

JoeInTUS

Hi

New to the forum after acquiring a 2017 R1200RT that came with the older 49 liter top case.  The wife would like armrests for long trips and I am looking at the Wunderlich armrests.  Before I spend $$$ I would like to confirm that the armrest will work with my top case.

I queried Wunderlich and they responded they think so, but are not sure.  I sent them some photos and measurements and am waiting to hear back from them.

Has anyone used the Wunderlich armrests with the older top case?  

Or any suggestions for alternatives to the Wunderlich armrests that will work with the older top case.

Thanks, Joe

The "older 49 liter top case" was used with 2005-2013 RT.  Select one of those years as your bike and the Wunderlich says that the arm rests do NOT fit, but I think that is because the bracket attaches to the bike frame.  So the bracket would fit your Wethead, but the question becomes "Does the bracket interfere with the shape of the old case?" 

I'd investigate their return policy before ordering.

• Like 1

I compared the old and new cases at Iron Horse yesterday.  They are very similar with the biggest difference being the front corners on the new case are squared off, while the old case has rounded  corners.  It looks like the Wunderlich armrests will work.  I am still waiting to hear from Wunderlich if they think the armrests will work.  I won't pull the trigger until I hear from them and confirm I can return them if they do not fit.  

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

To close the loop on this, the Wunderlich armrests will work with the hex/cam head 49L  top case.  Never heard back from Wunderlich but a good as new set came up on eBay so I took a chance. 

IMG_0292.jpeg

• Like 1
Scott9999
On 6/2/2023 at 2:58 PM, The Rocketman said:

I dunno, that looks like cool farkle, but for a thousand bucks, I'm gonna get two slings, wrap them double around my wife's neck, and they'll take care of both her arms, for maybe .. I dunno ... $15?   😏

Heck, if you think about it, the entire TOP case on the older models used to run about $700 or so (now $1500 on the Wetheads & Shiftcams, but I worked a deal to get mine for $1000).  Those little arm rests double the price of the top case!

(Yeah, I'm a cheap guy, but Wunderlich stuff just seems 5x to 10x over priced.   Since 90% of it's metal, I'll bet a good machinist (re: @MachineJoe ) could whip up a pair of those, maybe slap on wooden arms over the metal skeleton, for $100!)

• Thinking 1
Rob Nowell
On 1/16/2024 at 12:49 PM, Scott9999 said:

I dunno, that looks like cool farkle, but for a thousand bucks, I'm gonna get two slings, wrap them double around my wife's neck, and they'll take care of both her arms, for maybe .. I dunno ... $15?   😏

Heck, if you think about it, the entire TOP case on the older models used to run about $700 or so (now $1500 on the Wetheads & Shiftcams, but I worked a deal to get mine for $1000).  Those little arm rests double the price of the top case!

(Yeah, I'm a cheap guy, but Wunderlich stuff just seems 5x to 10x over priced.   Since 90% of it's metal, I'll bet a good machinist (re: @MachineJoe ) could whip up a pair of those, maybe slap on wooden arms over the metal skeleton, for $100!)

Oh, Scott, those NoID militia men are getting to ya!

On 1/16/2024 at 2:49 PM, Scott9999 said:

Wunderlich stuff just seems 5x to 10x over priced

I don't know about 5-10 but very expensive. I do winch when I see their prices.  I have bought a few things of theirs over the years and I will say, everything I have bought has been 1'st rate quality.

My dad use to say....I've never been disappointed when I went first class....he meant that about everything.  As poor as he was, I think the only time he went first class was when he got the top bunk on his battleship.

• Like 4