IGNORED

Drivetrain Vibration Felt after 6,000 mile Service

konacyclist

konacyclist

I have been feeling a vibration coming from the rear of my ‘22 R1250RT at different speeds following the 6,000 mile/annual service. A software update was performed and my Sirius XM antenna was replaced. Brake fluid was also flushed. Naturally, the oil and oil filter were changed. Tires were not replaced during the inspection. Tires seem good, checked pressures. Have any of you had a similar experience? The bike is otherwise OK. I noticed the vibration on my ride home from the dealership.

You may want to take it back and have them note it.  It should still be under warranty. 

What happens to the vibration when you apply the rear brake?

Does the clutch being pulled in change it?

My '19 has over 47k miles and have yet to experience anything similar.

7 hours ago, konacyclist said:

I have been feeling a vibration coming from the rear of my ‘22 R1250RT at different speeds following the 6,000 mile/annual service. A software update was performed and my Sirius XM antenna was replaced. Brake fluid was also flushed. Naturally, the oil and oil filter were changed. Tires were not replaced during the inspection. Tires seem good, checked pressures. Have any of you had a similar experience? The bike is otherwise OK. I noticed the vibration on my ride home from the dealership.

Morning  konacyclist

A vibration (wheel speed) or a buzz (engine speed)?

Start by placing the motorcycle on the center stand then slowly spinning the rear wheel, look on both sides while spinning for a bent  rim. 

Next check the suspension setting as possibly their update changed your suspension settings. 

If nothing found then call the dealer & ask them what changed, possibly what they could have changed/effected.

konacyclist

I would say it’s more a wheel speed thing. It has not worsened since I first noticed it. I’m on tour through Utah, Colorado and New Mexico. In Taos now, going to Santa Fe today. There’s a BMW dealer there. I may drop by there and see what they think.

20 minutes ago, konacyclist said:

I would say it’s more a wheel speed thing. It has not worsened since I first noticed it. I’m on tour through Utah, Colorado and New Mexico. In Taos now, going to Santa Fe today. There’s a BMW dealer there. I may drop by there and see what they think.

Morning  konacyclist

If it is wheel speed maybe  look for a thrown (missing) rear wheel balancing weight. 

Dirtrider - If the splines on the driveshaft were serviced would an out-of-phase reassembly of the shaft cause a noticeable vibration??

34 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

Dirtrider - If the splines on the driveshaft were serviced would an out-of-phase reassembly of the shaft cause a noticeable vibration??

Afternoon  Lowndes

It shouldn't change anything, but even is it was out of phase the BMW Shift Cam  runs dissimilar working angles front & rear so not a big noticeable deal.

Konacyclist says it feels like wheel speed & the drive shaft turns about 3 times wheel speed. 

• Like 1
konacyclist

I kind of like this “out of phase”theory even if it was shot down. I notice it around 3,500- 4,000 rpm in third and fourth gear. It kind of thrums and vibrates under those conditions.

Edited by konacyclist
Spelling and punctuation.
  • 2 weeks later...
konacyclist

Upon returning home, took the bike in to my dealer, A&S BMW in Roseville, CA. They patiently and accurately detailed my concern in the work order. I also asked them to replace the tires as the rear was nearing the wear indicators. They rode the bike before swapping out the tires but could not duplicate the vibration I felt. I thanked them for their efforts and rode home on my fresh Michelin Road 6 GT tires. Most importantly, on my ride home I noticed the vibration was gone! YMMV :5223:

• Like 1
konacyclist

Well, maybe I spoke too soon. The vibration is still there but it's not a big deal so I'm just going to see if it gets any worse.