IGNORED

How do you stop the rear wheel from rotating when loosen / tighten bolts?

009jim

Folks, I'd like to know what people do to prevent the rear wheel from rotating when you want to torque up the bolts, or undo the bolts?

I am referring to the bolts which fasten the wheel to the final drive.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Board under the front tire to make the wight go on the rear.  In gear and torque downward to apply more weight.  

Edit: I seem to recall using another board or extension handle to activate the rear brake somehow.  Mental hard drive is defragmenting now.

• Smile 1

I usually have my yard work boots on and end up using those to assist in chocking the wheel as I sit on the shop floor.  Not the best way, but it works for me.

• Smile 1
15 hours ago, 009jim said:

Folks, I'd like to know what people do to prevent the rear wheel from rotating when you want to torque up the bolts, or undo the bolts?

Morning 009jim

Depends, I usually put trans in 1st gear with the rear wheel on the ground then break them loose before lifting the wheel off the ground (or off my motorcycle lift table). As for torquing them after wheel install, I usually tighten by hand (no torque wrench) then after returning from first ride I leave the trans in 1st gear with rear wheel on the ground then torque them, or at least re-check to verify they are still tight. 

With alloy wheels & tapered-seat bolts they should have a verification check after the first ride anyhow. 

• Smile 1
On 5/29/2023 at 8:33 AM, 009jim said:

Since posting this query, I found there is a very informative Youtube video.