IGNORED

Locking the front wheel - Does it prevent theft?

Bob_1978

Taking a long trip this summer and wondering if the standard front wheel lock is a real theft deterrent or whether I should also bring a steel cable lock.

Not planning on overnighting in high theft areas, but you know what they say about an ounce of prevention.

Does anyone have experience or an opinion on this?

No one is interested in stealing a BMW! I've never really worried about it that's why I have insurance. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

The front wheel locks that scream when moved offer a bit more protection, peace of mind.

Otherwise, for professional thieves (four guys, two axels through the wheel spokes and up onto a van), a front wheel lock is less a deterrent.

I've not worried about my Harley being stolen since shortly after I bought my first, and they are a much hotter commodity than the BMWs as far as theft goes. I lock the ignition and fork lock, call it good.

1 hour ago, Bob_1978 said:

Taking a long trip this summer and wondering if the standard front wheel lock is a real theft deterrent or whether I should also bring a steel cable lock.

Not planning on overnighting in high theft areas, but you know what they say about an ounce of prevention.

Does anyone have experience or an opinion on this?

Afternoon Bob

A theft deterrent, definitely.

A theft prevention, definitely not.

Just make sure the fork lock is working smoothly before you use it,  especially if you never use it otherwise, as a fork lock that won't release can ruin or at least take the joy out of a trip.  

Use it a few times while riding around your area first before using it  for the first time on a trip to make sure that it works smoothly.  

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

I lock the bags and remove the key. I’ve never had a bike stolen. If you use one of those wheel lock devices, it would be wise to put a reminder on your seat or handlebars to remove it before you drive off. 

I’ve had 4 cars stolen all in very public places. 

For the 18 years I parked my bike at a subway station for the remainder of my commute into downtown DC, while it sat there for 11 hours each day I installed a front brake disc lock and then a cover over the bike which kept the yellow disc lock exposed for malicious-intent eyes to plainly see. Attached to the disc lock was one end of a coiled cable, with the cable's other end looped over the front brake lever as a reminder to me before trying to ride off. Never any tampering with my bike.

20190802_143915.thumb.jpg.101b2aca82de02ff6a5cb79ce5cc459f.jpg

1*Security Brake Disc Lock Reminder Cable Coil Wire Motorcycle Scooter Lanyard | eBay

When I park my bike at hotels during trips I use both the disc lock and the steering lock for theft deterrence, again with that orange coiled cable which helps draw attention to the disc lock and never any issues. As stated above, if thieves want it bad enough nothing's going to stop them.

• Like 1
On 5/29/2023 at 8:24 AM, jdub53 said:

When I park my bike at hotels during trips I use both the disc lock and the steering lock for theft deterrence, again with that orange coiled cable which helps draw attention to the disc lock and never any issues. As stated above, if thieves want it bad enough nothing's going to stop them.

On the annual Sturgis run which basically has me all over the country for a few weeks, I've done the same thing.

Front wheel lock on, orange "reminder" up to the right grip and steering locked.

I figure they'll take the Harleys surrounding me at the motels before they grab the BMW sitting outside my door.

AD