IGNORED

Stuck stick coils

bruce2000ltc

bruce2000ltc

I just finished the 72,000 mile service on my '13 R1200RT.  When I pulled the stick coil on the right cylinder it left about 3/8" of the rubber boot on the spark plug.  On the left cylinder I pulled and pulled but the stick coil would not come loose.  I finally pulled the coil stretching the rubber far enough that I could twist the coil in a circle and I got it to pull off.  The bottom coils were both stuck also but with those you can get a large flat blade screwdriver up to pry the boots free.  And yes, I had coated the porcelain on the plugs with dielectric grease.

I remembered reading a post where someone (Mike279) mentioned that he had some dielectric grease glue his boots to the plugs and that is exactly what happened to mine.  I used Honda dielectric grease and it's fine for electrical connectors but not so good for spark plug boots.  I bought spark plug boot grease from O'Reilly Auto Parts this time...fingers crossed!

What made this ordeal even more distressing was that I had just replaced all of the stick coils a year ago for close to $500.  Luckily, the right stick coil had enough of its rubber boot left that it's still perfectly usable.  

In the photo the two plugs on the left are the upper plugs.  You can see the rubber left on the right cylinder plug and some rubber residue stuck on the others

IMG_1755.jpeg

4 hours ago, bruce2000ltc said:

I just finished the 72,000 mile service on my '13 R1200RT.  When I pulled the stick coil on the right cylinder it left about 3/8" of the rubber boot on the spark plug.  On the left cylinder I pulled and pulled but the stick coil would not come loose.  I finally pulled the coil stretching the rubber far enough that I could twist the coil in a circle and I got it to pull off.  The bottom coils were both stuck also but with those you can get a large flat blade screwdriver up to pry the boots free.  And yes, I had coated the porcelain on the plugs with dielectric grease.

I remembered reading a post where someone (Mike279) mentioned that he had some dielectric grease glue his boots to the plugs and that is exactly what happened to mine.  I used Honda dielectric grease and it's fine for electrical connectors but not so good for spark plug boots.  I bought spark plug boot grease from O'Reilly Auto Parts this time...fingers crossed!

What made this ordeal even more distressing was that I had just replaced all of the stick coils a year ago for close to $500.  Luckily, the right stick coil had enough of its rubber boot left that it's still perfectly usable.  

In the photo the two plugs on the left are the upper plugs.  You can see the rubber left on the right cylinder plug and some rubber residue stuck on the others

Afternoon bruce2000ltc

I usually use a high temperature commercial silicone spark plug boot release that is not available over the counter for public sale. This stuff never sticks due to long term heat or drying out in use. 

I have used off & on due to various reasons   "GE Silicone Spark Plug Boot Release" this looks & works similar the commercial product that I typically use.  

Most dielectric silicone grease is a moisture preventer or connector sealer but isn't necessarily rated for the high temperatures that spark plugs run at. 

• Like 1