IGNORED

R1100RT ABS lights don't stop flashing together

Dave96RT

HI all - I've read through a lot of the threads on ABS lights starting to flash alternately and what that means, but my issue is the lights continue to flash together on a 97 R1100RT.  I assume this means that the system is not conducting a self test, but I am not sure how to diagnose.  I have checked the sensor clearances and tried using an analog meter to 'read' any stored fail codes, but none were indicated.  Thanks, in advance for any help offered.

Dave S

3 minutes ago, Dave96RT said:

HI all - I've read through a lot of the threads on ABS lights starting to flash alternately and what that means, but my issue is the lights continue to flash together on a 97 R1100RT.  I assume this means that the system is not conducting a self test, but I am not sure how to diagnose.  I have checked the sensor clearances and tried using an analog meter to 'read' any stored fail codes, but none were indicated.  Thanks, in advance for any help offered.

Dave S

Afternoon Dave

Have you tried resetting your ABS. 

I presume that your lights flashing together start right at key-on?

To Reset____

First, find the diagnostic connector (located under the seat). 

Then, insert one end of a wire into the middle socket of that connector.

Then, ground the other end of that wire to a (clean) metal part of frame or good ground area (make sure it stays grounded). 

Next, turn on ignition switch. You should now see the warning lights flash alternately.  

Next, hold ABS button down for a long 8 seconds. The bottom ABS light should stay on, and the top light should be off. 

Then, release the ABS button. If you have successfully reset the ABS system then both ABS lights will come on. If you have failed to hold button for 8 seconds, or your ground is not good, then the top ABS light will probably stay off.

Remove grounding wire.

Thanks D.R.  - Yes, I have tried the ABS reset a couple of times (even holding the button down for a minute like someone suggested in one thread), with no change.  One other note, if the battery voltage gets a bit low the lights will flash alternately at key turn-on like you would expect. So, at some level the system is working . . . 

Dave

On 5/27/2023 at 3:21 PM, Dave96RT said:

Thanks D.R.  - Yes, I have tried the ABS reset a couple of times (even holding the button down for a minute like someone suggested in one thread), with no change.  One other note, if the battery voltage gets a bit low the lights will flash alternately at key turn-on like you would expect. So, at some level the system is working . . . 

Dave

Afternoon Dave

That is an outlier. It does seem to run a key-on system test or the lights would start flashings alternately right at first key on. 

It doesn't sound like it is getting as far as the ride-off test or the lights should start flashing alternately when it couldn't pass the ride-off test.  

It kind of points to an open or nonfunctional wheel speed sensor but you should have gotten a code 3, 4, or 8 when the stored faults were read. Still worth looking at wheel speed sensor resistances & sensor to tone ring gaps. 

A stuck displacement piston will usually pass the key-on test but with usually give a fail at the ride-off self test.

About the only other thing that comes to mind is a failed ABS motor power-relay (under the sliding cover on side of ABS module). If the pull-in coil side is open or shorted that should give you a  stored code 16 (sometimes but not always),  if the high amp contact side fails (or no 12v) that probably won't give you a code. I'm not sure if that failure will always give you alternately flashing dash lights  (might be worth looking at anyhow).

Hey D.R.

Hope you had a good holiday weekend.  I found the source of my ABS problem - I had switched the front wheel from my '96RT to the '97RT and forgot to recheck the sensor clearance - and it was too small. Once I reset the proper sensor gap it fired off the self test properly.  Thanks for your help and sorry to have pulled you into something I could have solved on my on my own :facepalm:

Dave