I see that the 1250 riders manual calls for sintered pads front and rear

Is that a missprint?

The 1200 calls for sintered front and organic rear

My front callipers are BMW while the rear are Brembo

Any reason for that 

Just curious

Cheers

Mark

There was a recall on the front calipers.  It sounds like your front calipers are the original Hayes calipers with “BMW” showing on the sides.  My 2019 RT had the recall performed, and the replacement calipers are Brembo like the earlier bikes.

I am not sure why the spec for the rear pads was changed.

Cap

10 hours ago, Dingo55 said:

I see that the 1250 riders manual calls for sintered pads front and rear

Is that a missprint?

The 1200 calls for sintered front and organic rear

My front callipers are BMW while the rear are Brembo

Any reason for that 

Just curious

Cheers

Mark

Afternoon Mark

1200 what, 1250 what?

My parts manual calls for sintered on the front and rear on the 1250RT.

Some of the 1200 hexhead bikes (like the 1200R called for organic rear but the 1200 hexhead called for sintered on the front and rear. 

We need to look the brake pads up for your specific motorcycle to tell you more. 

Thanks for the help 

Much appreciated 

Sorry 

My bikes are a 2015 R1200RT and a 2020 R1250RT (only purchased the 1250 3 weeks ago)

Regards the caliper recall is that an automatic  worldwide thing or does bmw wait to see who screams the loudest?

What was the reason for the recall?

My 1250 is about to come out of it's 3 year warranty period 

As far as I can ascertain the bike has only had a pre delivery check and a service at 1K kms

Any known reason why the call now for sintered on the rear of the 1250?

Thanks again 

Cheers 

Mark

14 hours ago, Dingo55 said:

Thanks for the help 

Much appreciated 

Sorry 

My bikes are a 2015 R1200RT and a 2020 R1250RT (only purchased the 1250 3 weeks ago)

Regards the caliper recall is that an automatic  worldwide thing or does bmw wait to see who screams the loudest?

What was the reason for the recall?

My 1250 is about to come out of it's 3 year warranty period 

As far as I can ascertain the bike has only had a pre delivery check and a service at 1K kms

Any known reason why the call now for sintered on the rear of the 1250?

Thanks again 

Cheers 

Mark

Morning Mark 

The brake recall was a safety recall so that is automatic, but the letter usually goes out to the owner of record so it might not have been sent to you. (or it has already been done)

Call your BMW dealer & give them your VIN to see if there are any outstanding recalls on your motorcycle.  

The reason for the recall was front calipers seeping (leaking) fluid. 

On your brakes, on the 1200RT & 1250RT the rear pads are sintered. My BMW parts book shows them as sintered, my guess is that your 2015 R1200RT riders manual  is a misprint, or possibly a last minute change in production that didn't make it into the riders manual. 

9 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Call your BMW dealer & give them your VIN to see if there are any outstanding recalls on your motorcycle.

Or if my suspicion is correct and Mark is from the land of Oz, he could just plug his VIN into the following page: https://recall.bmw.com.au

Hi all 

Appreciate the help

I did ring the dealer yesterday and they were certain that there is no recalls outstanding on the bike only a computer 'thingy' (my tech word) upgrade to be done

Thanks Hati

I ran the numbers through the site and all clear

So 

Did the calliper problem only apply to a certain batch?

How widespread was/is it?

I don't actually have a copy of the riders manual (still waiting)

This is from a computer 'thingy' (great word) that I was directed  to

Page 162 lists the rear as organic

Why has that changed?

I thought there was a reason to not run sintered on the rear

Anyhow all good 

Thanks again

Cheers

Mark

Wayne Johnson

The recall I believe was only on the 2019 models with the Hayes calipers. Apparently the leaky calipers was more due to lack of use not a problem in my case as my Hayes are continuing to preform without issue. I will have the recall done once pads are needed which will probably be this fall as the original pads are still good at 40k

Dave_in_TX
1 hour ago, Wayne Johnson said:

The recall I believe was only on the 2019 models with the Hayes calipers. Apparently the leaky calipers was more due to lack of use not a problem in my case as my Hayes are continuing to preform without issue. I will have the recall done once pads are needed which will probably be this fall as the original pads are still good at 40k

The recall also included 2020 models.

22 hours ago, Dingo55 said:

Hi all 

Appreciate the help

I did ring the dealer yesterday and they were certain that there is no recalls outstanding on the bike only a computer 'thingy' (my tech word) upgrade to be done

Thanks Hati

I ran the numbers through the site and all clear

So 

Did the calliper problem only apply to a certain batch?

How widespread was/is it?

I don't actually have a copy of the riders manual (still waiting)

This is from a computer 'thingy' (great word) that I was directed  to

Page 162 lists the rear as organic

Why has that changed?

I thought there was a reason to not run sintered on the rear

Anyhow all good 

Thanks again

Cheers

Afternoon Mark

I'm not sure the rear pad material was changed, I think it was more of a mis-print or the OEM factory pad requirement was changed after the manual was printed. 

Just remove the rear pads then give us the numbers that are on the pads, we can then (hopefully) tell you what you have. 

1250RT recall.jpg

• Like 1
Geekmaster

For what it's worth, here's a snippet from the 2014 R1200RT rider's manual, which you can download from BMW's site.  It still specifies organic pads.

R1200RT-Brake-Pads.png.29825db9108895e22ae703221b6abcc0.pngfor the rear brake.

11 hours ago, Geekmaster said:

For what it's worth, here's a snippet from the 2014 R1200RT rider's manual, which you can download from BMW's site.  It still specifies organic pads.

for the rear brake.

Morning Geekmaster

But the riders manual doesn't give us part numbers. The BMW parts manual does give us part numbers & pad type, plus the BMW parts manual is current, the riders manual was printed long ago.

34218562163   set of brake pads, SINTERED METAL.

You can use organic, but....your wheels will be filthy after a ride with brake dust and you will end up changing them out at least twice as often. They also fade under continuous heavy braking. I have a 2014 bought new.  The factory pads went about 10,000 miles.  The EBC semi's have been on about 20,000 and are still in good shape.  When I changed out the organic's it took a lot of effort to get the embedded material off the rotors.

Geekmaster

Thanks, @Skywagon, that's helpful.  I have 15k on my factory original rear pads, but it looks like I will need to change them later this summer, so I bought some Brembo Carbon Ceramic pads that Brembo specified.  Once I put them on later, I'll see how they work, compared to the originals.

Geekmaster
8 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Geekmaster

But the riders manual doesn't give us part numbers. The BMW parts manual does give us part numbers & pad type, plus the BMW parts manual is current, the riders manual was printed long ago.

34218562163   set of brake pads, SINTERED METAL.

Thanks, Dirtrider, makes sense.

Hi all

Appreciate the help

My local(ish) BMW parts supplier has 3 options for rear brake pads for 2015 r1200rt 

1. organic

2. kevlar &

3. fully sintered

So it's lucky dip time

Tried the kevlars last time 

8,600 kms toasted 

Maybe if I didn't go so fast hmm

Can't make out any numbers

Cheers

Mark