IGNORED

Cooler Summer Riding

Randyjaco

The RT has a great fairing and windshield system that keeps the wind off the rider. In Texas in the summer it's a big negative. After taking a closer look at the system I came up with a modification that puts a little more air on the rider. It is just a bit of sheet metal that directs the air to my chest, rather than sending it over my head. As you raise the windshield the vent opens up. My ride is significantly cooler now 😁

PXL_20230523_200138253.jpg

PXL_20230523_200122927.jpg

PXL_20230523_200043859.jpg

PXL_20230522_194753121.jpg

• Like 3
realshelby

Disturbing the air coming up behind the screen.....can add turbulence. Maybe not much, but in testing that was something I noticed right away. If you are getting more air onto you, that may be worth it. 

Stay tuned....there might be an answer coming for those wanting more air onto the torso when on your RT.......

• Like 2
Rockosmith

I hope it comes soon, as in before the real heat hits GA. I have enjoyed my WERKS Quiet Ride shield for lots (170,000) of miles and something to allow some air into the cockpit area without increasing wind noise would be most welcome.  My ‘17 RT and I are available for testing if we would be useful to you.

• Smile 1

It seems to work fine with the stock windshield. I am not experiencing any noticeable turbulence. I have had the bike up to 100 mph with no ill effects

Yeah, I love my Quiet Ride, but not in the summer. So when it gets hot, the QR goes back in the box. :19:

But I may have to give my vent a try with the QR and see what happens:5147:

Tell me more about that mount you have attached to where the Nav unit would go!  I've been trying to figure out how to fit my iPhone there.  

It is just an old Ram mount. It just bolts right in. No modification required. I prefer to have my Zumo XT mounted in the portrait mode because it provides better up ahead information that way.

There is a thread somewhere where one can get a cheap mount off Amazon (@ 20 bucks) and can mount an iPhone directly to the GPS location. It would be a much cleaner mounting. 

• 2 months later...

I recently received a ‘Cool Ride’ shield. It is, as expected, a high quality shield. It does allow considerably more airflow to reach the riders chest making hot day rides more comfortable. Airflow to the arms isn’t much different as the fairing and mirrors block most airflow there.  There is a bit more wind noise but is really isn’t much louder.  There is a bit of buffeting that isn’t present with the ‘Quiet Ride’. For my use, on local rides on a hot day it is enough of an improvement to make it worthwhile. On a long trip I want my ‘Quiet Ride’. I value quiet buffet free riding over more airflow on a long ride. Bottom line, for me, it is a very worthwhile addition to my RT accessories.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1