IGNORED

Need Opinions Please

009jim

2012 R1200 RT

So, recently my top box fell off aat speed and got all scraped up. It looks awful but still works. I filed an insurance claim and my excess payment is $500. The quote for the new box is about $1500 including painting to match the bike.

I can still use the old box if I want. So the question I am considering is - Do I go ahead with the insurance, or do I use the $500 to buy the Motorscan App and the Dongle?

Etienne Lau

What you going to to with the leftover $$$ after buying motoscan and dongle? Personally I would replace the case.

• Smile 1
szurszewski

I'd use the $500 to buy a used but not damaged box. If you're patient you could maybe find the same color. You might then be able to sell your damaged one for enough to buy the motoscan app and dongle. 

• Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2023 at 7:15 AM, Etienne Lau said:

What you going to to with the leftover $$$ after buying motoscan and dongle? Personally I would replace the case.

In Australia where I am, we have to pay a lot more for things because often the overseas retailers envisage we have money growing on trees. Motoscan App will cost me $200. OBD dongle will cost me $195 (MX+ model), Cable adapter $40. So the total estimate is $450 plus allowance for our government adding various fees and taxes on overseas goods. So for me the $500 insurance excess that I would have to pay will probably just cover the whole of what is required to set up with Motoscan.

2 hours ago, 009jim said:

Motoscan App will cost me $200

How do you figure? Also in Australia so would be using the same App Store. It says for the app to cost from AUD 19.23 to 64.65. But even the free version does the service reset and code reading. You don't need paid version unless you want to use the service functions such as ABS bleed and such as far as I am aware. I use GS911 most of the time and the LX/Motoscan is the backup on the bike for away brakedowns.

The LX version of OBDLink also works well, no need for the MX. AUD 126 No other taxes added. Free postage on Amazon for the LX/MX if you are a Prime member.

• Plus 1 1
Etienne Lau
On 6/3/2023 at 10:03 PM, 009jim said:

In Australia where I am, we have to pay a lot more for things because often the overseas retailers envisage we have money growing on trees. Motoscan App will cost me $200. OBD dongle will cost me $195 (MX+ model), Cable adapter $40. So the total estimate is $450 plus allowance for our government adding various fees and taxes on overseas goods. So for me the $500 insurance excess that I would have to pay will probably just cover the whole of what is required to set up with Motoscan.

Why buy the MX+ model? I use the LX and Motoscan. Total cost was maybe $100USD, so might set you back $150-200 AUD$ including the cable adapter. And then your famous just like in Canada fees and taxes.....So I don't see how you came up with $450 AUD$

• Thanks 1

Get a new box.  You will use it every time you ride and it is nice if you have a passenger.  You will only use the motoscan occasionally and from reading posts on this forum, it isn't ideal for BMW.  It will help increase the value of your bike....the motoscan will not.

• Plus 1 2

I'm wondering how/why the top case fell off in the first place? Are the OEM items prone to do this? If so, why even risk a new case coming off also? I'd replace the OEM top case with a Givi; lighter, much less expensive and very securely mounted.

When I bought my 2013 RT eight months ago, it came with side cases and the BMW top case. Once I rode the bike home from the dealership, I put all of the cases on a shelf as all I use on my day trips is maybe just a tankbag. When I installed the side cases a couple of weeks ago for a cross-country trip, I couldn't believe how loose they were and was genuinely concerned they could both pop off during the trip. After I implemented a simple modification to each forward lower mount point, they were secure for the whole trip (drilled a 3/16" hole through the tongue-and-groove pieces, then secured each bag with a medium-size zip-tie through each hole).

I've only installed the top case a few times but haven't noticed the same looseness as in the side cases. I'd like to hear from other's experience if the top case mounting also needs some modification for security.

56 minutes ago, jdub53 said:

When I bought my 2013 RT eight months ago, it came with side cases and the BMW top case. Once I rode the bike home from the dealership, I put all of the cases on a shelf as all I use on my day trips is maybe just a tankbag. When I installed the side cases a couple of weeks ago for a cross-country trip, I couldn't believe how loose they were and was genuinely concerned they could both pop off during the trip. 

Morning jdub53

If your side cases are loose (some can be) BMW makes selectable thickness "L" shaped clamps, those are the little "L" shaped locking clamps on the back side of the case that lock them down on the motorcycle. (if those are not sized correctly the case will be loose to wobble around). The clamps just snap into place once you remove the originals (bit of a pain to release the originals).

BMW dealers used to just give riders the little bag of selectable thickness clamps if they complained of loose bags but even if you have to buy them they were only about $11-$12 per bag.     I think 4 different thicknesses come in a set.

46547712002  SET: SET OF CLAMPS WITH BRACKET 

hsEjMyz.jpg

1 hour ago, jdub53 said:

I'd like to hear from other's experience if the top case mounting also needs some modification for security.

Never had a case come off...... riding these for 20 years. Always run the BMW trunk....never an issue.

Operator error???:dontknow:

2 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning jdub53

If your side cases are loose (some can be) BMW makes selectable thickness "L" shaped clamps, those are the little "L" shaped locking clamps on the back side of the case that lock them down on the motorcycle. (if those are not sized correctly the case will be loose to wobble around). The clamps just snap into place once you remove the originals (bit of a pain to release the originals).

BMW dealers used to just give riders the little bag of selectable thickness clamps if they complained of loose bags but even if you have to buy them they were only about $11-$12 per bag.     I think 4 different thicknesses come in a set.

46547712002  SET: SET OF CLAMPS WITH BRACKET 

hsEjMyz.jpg

Interesting about the side case shims, and thanks for the info dirtrider. Starting with the Krauser side cases on my first Airhead BMW in 1983, I don't recall any of them requiring anything like this to ensure a secure fit but apparently that's what's required as BMW makes these mounting systems more complex. 

Sorry to @009jim for the thread hijack.

• Smile 1

I had an R90 many years ago.  One of the bags fell off while riding.  I didn't know it and never found it.  My 79 RT's bags were loose.  They would rattle a bit but they never came off.  I did empty the contents of one of them one time while riding.  I didn't have it properly latched I guess and it came open.

If you are concerned about it, here is one way to secure the side cases. My side case seem loose, but mostly on the bottom mounting point, so I may do this mod myself. Hard to see how the top case could come off unless something is right (latch defective or improperly mounted.)

3 hours ago, abush357 said:

If you are concerned about it, here is one way to secure the side cases. My side case seem loose, but mostly on the bottom mounting point, so I may do this mod myself. Hard to see how the top case could come off unless something is right (latch defective or improperly mounted.)

That's essentially what I did to secure my RT's loose side cases, except I used a zip-tie through each hole, pulled it tight and cut off the tail. Couldn't see them unless you looked closely, and they kept each case tight to its mount.

Took spare zip-ties along on my road trip in case I needed to remove and reinstall the side cases (carried the bag liners into my hotel rooms), but didn't need to remove the cases until after the trip and stored them back on the garage shelf until the next trip.