IGNORED

Contemplating a trip from DFW to Vancouver, BC in both directions

Etienne Lau

Riding a 2010 BMW R1200RT. Never done anything longer than 1 hour in and around DFW, TX. Contemplating riding up to Vancouver to see my family and spend about 3-5 days and then ride back to DFW. Thoughts? Ideas? Am I biting off more than I can chew for a first road trip? I suspect it's 4 days minimum each way.

My thoughts are to have the bike checked out to find any potential problems and just go. The hardest thing sometimes is to get started. Stop when you get tired and be careful in early morning and dusk for deer when in the country. You will remember this first a long time. Have fun and go.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 2

If you've never ridden more than an hour at a time then you really don't know what your personal range is.  It takes time to build up the musculature and habits that support longer rides.  As well, it takes time to sort out the gear that you will be comfortable in.  I think you are right to ask if it is too much for a first tour.  I'd suggest trying an overnight trip to somewhere 250-300 miles from home first, and see how you feel about it.  Keep in mind that to do 2200 miles in 4 days you need to average 550/day.  That's four long days in a row.  Hard for an experienced rider.  Easier on interstate highways, but most of us aren't really interested in being on the interstates too much.   

I personally would plan on more like 6-7 days each way and see some stuff, ride some fun roads, etc.  Could be a great trip.  You definitely have the bike for the job, though!

• Plus 1 2
Rob Nowell

My first trip was from SoCal to Western Montana (my old stompin' grounds) on a 2000 R1100RT.  I was in my 40s then.  I shoot for 350-400 miles per day then and now (on a 2016 RT).  I went from here to Plano, and on to Mt. Rushmore and Western Montana two summers ago.  NORTHERN New Mexico and NORTHERN Arizona are nice; I love all of Utah and WESTERN Colorado, as well as all of Idaho.  Coastal Washington, Oregon and California are obvious.  Stay hydrated.  All the info from the guys before me is sound advice, too.  Have fun:  We live in a beautiful country.

• Plus 1 1