IGNORED

How often do you change clutch fluid?

Sound Guy

I have been riding my 2005 R1200ST since 2017, and have put about 25,000 Km on her.  I have been doing the maintenance myself, and while I was planning my second 20,000 Km tune up work, I realized that I have never been instructed by the Maintenance Schedule to replace the clutch fluid. 

Have I missed something or do you just never change it unless you are taking the system apart??  Everything seems fine visually, but how long does this stuff last?

3 minutes ago, Sound Guy said:

I have been riding my 2005 R1200ST since 2017, and have put about 25,000 Km on her.  I have been doing the maintenance myself, and while I was planning my second 20,000 Km tune up work, I realized that I have never been instructed by the Maintenance Schedule to replace the clutch fluid. 

Have I missed something or do you just never change it unless you are taking the system apart??  Everything seems fine visually, but how long does this stuff last?

Afternoon  Sound Guy

There is no BMW schedule for clutch hydraulic fluid change.

It probably wouldn't hurt to change it every 3-4 years just as a precaution but the fluid is mineral oil not brake fluid so it doesn't take in moisture in like brake fluid does.   

I usually just watch the fluid color, when it starts turning dark (especially if it starts turning black) at that point it is a real good idea to change it.  

Etienne Lau

I doubt it's been changed on my 2010 R1200RT with 101,000 miles. If anything I had to remove extra fluid as the clutch has worn. It's mineral oil and it does not degrade like brake fluid does with moisture, as it's hydrophobic.

28 minutes ago, Etienne Lau said:

I doubt it's been changed on my 2010 R1200RT with 101,000 miles. If anything I had to remove extra fluid as the clutch has worn. It's mineral oil and it does not degrade like brake fluid does with moisture, as it's hydrophobic.

Evening Etienne Lau

Is it hydrophobic (afraid of water)?     I think you mean  hygroscopic (able to absorb water).  

Etienne Lau

@dirtrider Let me try that again, Mineral oil(Hydrophobic), unlike Brake Fluid,(Hydroscopic), meaning it CANNOT absorb water like brake fluid and therefore DOES NOT degrade like Brake Fluid degrades when it absorbs water..

Hydrophobic - Hates water, water and mineral oil or most oil DO NOT mix together.

Hydroscopic - Likes water, plays nice together. Brake fluid absorbs water and mixes really well together.