IGNORED

LA to Denver route help (and then slabbing to Chicago)

I'm taking a long Memorial day weekend to ride my R1200RT from LA to Chicago.  My plan to date is something like this:

Thursday after work:   LA - Ontario, CA

Friday:  Ontario - Flagstaff (via Prescott / Jerome / Sedona)

Saturday:  Flagstaff - Ridgway / Montrose, CO (via Four Corners, Durango, Silverton)

Sunday:  Ridgway - Denver (route TBD)

Monday:  Denver to somewhere in Iowa (slab)

Tuesday:  Iowa to Chicago (slab)

Questions for folks who know Colorado:

(1) On Saturday, better to take the route I have planned or is CO-145 better?

(2)  On Sunday, Hwy 50 through Gunnison and Poncha Springs to 285 or is there a better route (Hwy 92 between Sapinero and Hotchkiss to Co65 toward Grand Mesa?)

(3)  Obviously 133 would be the best way, but it's  closed north of Paonia.  I assume it is not possible/advisable to take the road north of Bowie to connect to 133 and continue toward Carbondale and I-70 on a R1200RT.  Since that is not an option on CoDOT's page, and there are no Google roadside pics, I am guessing that's not a smart RT route....

Thanks!

Lived in Denver area 6 years and rode all around the state....based upon your timeline and distance, 50 to 285 to I-70 works in my opinion.  East of Denver, you're a "high-plains-drifter" with a long haul ahead...have a great trip!

• Like 1

Thanks.  Appreciate that!  Will stick with that plan. And yeah the 1000 miles between Denver and my house…. Ugh. Thank god for podcasts. 

On 5/20/2023 at 1:53 PM, bjorn240 said:

Corners, Durango, Silverton)

So if my sense of direction is on, you’ll be taking 550 North out of Durango. Great choice if you’ve never been, but 145 isn’t a bad option also. :thumbsup:

John be spot on with that East of Denver description. :)

• Smile 1
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

So if my sense of direction is on, you’ll be taking 550 North out of Durango. Great choice if you’ve never been, but 145 isn’t a bad option also. :thumbsup:

Yes, 550 is the plan.  With a stop in Ouray to dip in the hot springs.  

• Like 1
Rob Nowell
7 hours ago, bjorn240 said:

Thanks.  Appreciate that!  Will stick with that plan. And yeah the 1000 miles between Denver and my house…. Ugh. Thank god for podcasts. 

at least it's not August!

Personally,  I'd take the 92/65 option.

On 5/20/2023 at 11:53 AM, bjorn240 said:

(2)  On Sunday, Hwy 50 through Gunnison and Poncha Springs to 285 or is there a better route (Hwy 92 between Sapinero and Hotchkiss to Co65 toward Grand Mesa?)

Check out the construction on US-50.  I heard someone had an hour delay recently.  There's a website.  It's right on your way.

Thanks, I'll check out to CODot website!  My dream is that they sort the temp bridge on 133 north of Paonia before the weekend, but since they only signed a contractor this week, I think that's going to be extremely unlikely...