IGNORED

R1100RS Headlight Bulb Replacement

Jim Moore

On 5/18/2023 at 4:23 PM, Jim Moore said:

Low beam burnt out. Looks like a huge PITA to get to. Anyone know any tricks?

Thanks,

Hey, Jim,

On your R1100S or 1150 GS??

Oops, never mind, it's in the title.  I've got a '99 R11S, too.

On the S it's not too bad.  A good light helps, remove the rubber cover and the rear of the bulb is right there.  The only hard part is the spring-wire clips holding the bulb in.  Hold your cell phone up in there (set the voice control to "capture" first) and take a few shots so you can see the layout of the springs and hooks.  

If you are replacing with LED bulbs (and you should), remove the mounting ring from the bulb, install it in the headlight first, then install the bulb in the mounting ring.  EZPZ.  The fan on most LED bulbs gets in the way of getting spring clips hooked in correctly.  I'll see if I have any pics.

This is the Lo bulb for the R11S and how the bulb base separates from the bulb.  The old twist and lock:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/exO8qE0a76U3mrLI3

image.thumb.png.3c2af640a2e05fc60b4c1b63f6b01d2d.png

Below is the spring wire clip holding the OEM bulb in place.  The Lo is on the left I believe.  The spring clips shown here are on the HI bulb but very similar to the Lo mount.  It's hard to see here but the clips release by pushing forward (on the bike) slightly and squeezing together.

image.thumb.png.1bddf51c917a88997e670511d8a242ec.png

Now, just to confuse things even more, this is a clearer pic of the spring clip hooks in a '99 R1100RT.  The only difference is the "hooks" holding the spring clips are made of that white plastic.  The R11S hooks are galvanized.  But they both work the same way.

image.thumb.png.5ed1e36ebf3982d01c50182076eca81e.png

OK.  Here's and even better shot of the actual R11S Lo beam bulb spring clips and hooks.  The LED mounting flange is installed:

image.thumb.png.82c5715cefebaaa6e63e4204129273f9.png

And without the mounting flange and the spring clips unhooked:

image.thumb.png.eb67172e0ef48987b3bc2235f8b9ea00.png

• Like 1