IGNORED

Key fob battery life

Rex R

This is most like NOT a wethead-specific issue, but...

How long does the battery last in the key fobs for your bikes?  I seem to go through at least one per year, sometimes more.  In contrast, the batteries for my cars' key fobs (Japanese, not BMW cars) last at least 2-3 years.  Ironically, I use the key fobs for the cars 100x more than I use the bike key fob.

I just replaced the battery in my bike's fob again, because I was getting a warning light on the dash while riding.  (The general triangle warning light and key symbol with a question mark, which indicates the key fob is out of range.  I was NOT, however, getting the key symbol with the battery symbol, which notifies you to replace the fob battery asap.) 

I checked the voltage on the "old" battery.  It was 2.8+ volts. I would've thought that is sufficient on a nominal 3volt battery.

Anyone else experience short lifespans on their key fob batteries?  Or have any insight on why the batteries die sooner with the BMW m/c fobs?

Do you store your fob near your bike? If so they are constantly communicating and it supposedly runs the battery down faster. I change my fob batteries once a year anyway. 

My off-the-showroom floor battery lasted 3+ years.  The first radio shack replacement(s), must buy 2,  5 months and 18 months.  Apparently finding a source that has "fresh" batteries is the answer to long life. 

Rinkydink, Good advise to keep your fob distant from your bike.  I am guilty of going to rallys, key fob in Darien coat, park & throw coat over windscreen for extended periods.  I won't dew that anymore. 

Roughly a year and the fob stays on the bike 24/7 in the little compartment over the tank.

I wish regular keys would come back!!!

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

Thanks everyone for your input.  To respond to your questions and comments, in no particular order:

I store the fob in my bedroom (which is only about 15-25' from the bike, but through a 2x6 or 2x8 wall with at least two layers of sheetrock and insulation.  I think that's far enough apart b/c I get warnings when i walk away from my running bike just 6-8 feet.  But maybe not.)

I checked the manufacture date of the latest battery "failure."   The battery (an Energizer brand lithium cell)was manufactured in mid-2021.  energizer claims a 10-year shelf life.   And as I mentioned, it tested on my multimeter at better than 2.8v

I miss regular keys, too.  And kickstarters, but that's another topic.

If the fob is constantly communicating with the bike, do you know if the fob is constantly "on" sending a signal and waiting for a reply?  Or does it kind of enter a sleep mode until it receives a signal from the bike? 

Looks like a spare fob battery will enter my emergency kit for long trips.

I always keep a spare battery or two with the bike. (Co-riders occasionally need one.) I also bring a second fob on trips, I install the battery backwards so it is not activated, but can be easily. (This on my Harley, I understand BMW has a spare plastic key for emergencies.)

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I always keep a spare battery or two with the bike. (Co-riders occasionally need one.) I also bring a second fob on trips, I install the battery backwards so it is not activated, but can be easily. (This on my Harley, I understand BMW has a spare plastic key for emergencies.)

Not a bad idea at all to always have a spare battery on the bike.  But the 10-year shelf life that Energizer claims is only for batteries stored at room temperature.  Keeping a spare on the bike, exposed to the summer heat, and winter freezes, would no doubt shorten the lifespan significantly, to the point that the spare should probably be replaced/rotated into service.

It does get rotated in, batteries get changed once a year as a matter of peace of mind.

Fobs get rotated too, each one put into service every other year.

MichiganBob

Does anyone know the battery number and type for my 2018  1200RT? I am not seeing it in the manual and tried a search on the forum but I did not find it. Many thanks.

I was recently made aware there are 10 year shelf life battery's available. And they come in most sizes.

Since I have 3 fobs for car and bikes, a few room humidity/temp gauges, a meat thermometer, and I am sure I am missing something but you get the idea.  I was always getting "half" life from them.  I was fussing and my brother told me you can get them with a ten year shelf life.  Now you are not going to go on amazon and get 6 of them for 1 dollar or anything.  I think I gave 9 bucks for 6 so not too bad of a hit. 

Have no clue how to proof out shelf life, but I did date the pack when it came:dontknow:

I don't know I will be able to give a review on shelf life in 10 years though:whistle:

MichiganBob

That's why I stopped  buying treated wood and extended warranties. Looking for 7 year shingles.

• Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

My 80 year old father-in-law said when I mentioned buying a better product, lifetime warranty doesn't mean your lifetime, son, it means mine. That put it in perspective.

Ten year shelf life on batteries, to me doesn't mean it will be 100% capacity after ten years of sitting, but will have some charge left to operate the device, just not as long as a fresh battery. Seems common sense to me.

old_farmer

The 2032's in my RT and my X3 seem to require replacement annually. Keys are always stored about 25' away from the vehicles.

Funny thing is that I have a 2005 Audi and I can't recall ever replacing a remote battery on that one.

Like others have said it's a good idea to carry 2032 batteries with you and yes more the one, I'm sure you will help other riders more often then yourself.  Once you know how to open the fob it's no big deal so I'd wait until it's ready to be changed.  I keep my fob in my paints front pocket,  it stays away from the bike when I'm not riding.   I feeling better about the fob, I was a key only guy but now that I've been using it and no issues I'm coming around.  I say this with a key, I had a bad habit of leaving it in the bike, I don't have that worry with the fob since it's on me and not on the bike.  One grip is keeping the fob away from the vehicle while not in use, I recently got a new Ford F150, if the fob is in my pocket it turns on lights and other stuff when I walk by, no good! 

Some fobs are always on and communicating with the vehicle.  Our Nissan Altima is that way.  If the fob is close to the car, it's on.  It also has quite a range for remote start and lock/unlock.  Battery lasts about 2-3 years.  Our Toyota pickup on the other hand starts with a key.  The fob only expends energy when a button is pushed for doors, alarm, remote start.  The Toyota fob is going on 7 years with OEM battery.  Me thinks the BMW fobs are like the Nissan.  If they are in range with the vehicle, they are using energy.

On 5/18/2023 at 10:34 PM, don v said:

The battery type is cr 2032 for my 2015 rt 1200. I assume yours is the same.  I ordered a new fob from  the dealer today,  409.00 for the fob now.

• 2 months later...

My used 2015 rt came with only one fob. I thought i would get another until i saw the price. I bought a set of tires for the same price. Anyway i bought the plastic key ($75) which can be used in emergencies. I always have it on long trips. 

IMG_0991.jpeg

• 3 months later...

I was on a trip to the Ozarks.  I was ready to head off on a day ride from the hotel but the dash on my 22R1250RT light up with a 50% FOB battery.  The bike is about 1 and 1/2 years old, this was the original FOB battery.  No problem I was prepared with a back up.  Got home yesterday before the heavy rains hit the Ozarks.  The bad FOB battery tested at 2.98 V WTF.  As you know a CR2032 is a 3 V.  If this is all it takes to fail no wonder why they don't last very long and ones stored don't work... 

• Like 1