IGNORED

Tire Repair Glue....

Twisties

The thing being, I've only ever had to repair a flat on the road once, and it worked.  But, at home, when I check my kit, I often find the glue/adhesive included with tire repair kits has dried out and is unusable, even though it has never been opened.  I supposed the tube gets battered over the years.  Maybe I should put it in a little container? 

What is your strategy or product for being sure you have a functional tire repair kit, or do you just carry a credit card? Where do you get replacement glue without having to buy a whole kit?

1 hour ago, Twisties said:

The thing being, I've only ever had to repair a flat on the road once, and it worked.  But, at home, when I check my kit, I often find the glue/adhesive included with tire repair kits has dried out and is unusable, even though it has never been opened.  I supposed the tube gets battered over the years.  Maybe I should put it in a little container? 

What is your strategy or product for being sure you have a functional tire repair kit, or do you just carry a credit card? Where do you get replacement glue without having to buy a whole kit?

Morning  Twisties

I replace the glue often, every couple of months, or even sooner if I think of it. That glue doesn't like heat so that is one of the failure factors. I just buy a small tube from an auto parts store. 

I either put the glue in a double small zip-loc bag or if I have the time & thought I use a food vacuum sealer to remove the air from around the glue tube. 

Once opened I replace as soon as possible (if I wait to replace then I typically forget to replace it) 

duckbubbles

I carry a Stop&Go kit with included electric pump that uses pre-lubed mushroom plugs, no glue required.  Had to use it twice and happy to report that the tires held air as well as before the puncture.

Frank 

I replace the ropes, and the glue, on at least a yearly basis.  I pick them up at an auto supply store.

• Like 2

On the last two tire plugs a didn’t use the “glue”, just the black ropes and they held up just fine.

AD

• Like 1

I replace the tubes each spring or after 1 use in the kits in each of my road going bikes. Using gummy worms the glue acts  as a lubricant when inserting the tool with the plug.

• Like 1