IGNORED

Saddle Sore Salute

Joel

Inability to log on yesterday prevented me from posting this sooner, but on Sunday evening I had the pleasure of meeting another of our members, Rob Litavecz (Rob L), after he'd completed a SS 1000 by leaving his home southeast of Chicago well before the crack of dawn on Sunday morning and arriving in Fort Collins around 5 p.m., 1,024 miles later. I signed off on his IBA paperwork as the end witness. This wasn't the first time that Rob had ridden so far, but it was the first time he'd documented it for an award. thumbsup.gif

We enjoyed a good chat over authentic Mexican food from a local place, washed down with some local micro brew. After he endured the crossing of that waste of time and space known as Nebraska, I couldn't just squire Rob to a Taco Bell, could I? grin.gif

Anyway, congrats to Rob! clap.gif He's headed northwest to Seattle, to pick up Barb, his wife of 31 years, for a 2-up tour across the west and back home again. Just another BMW rider, clicking off a few more miles. wink.gif

Congrats to Rob! A SS1K is a good chunk of miles to knock off in one bite and a good place to learn about endurance. Wish I could have been there to enjoy the good Mexican cuisine. That's enough reason in itself to ride a thousand miles. thumbsup.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
He's headed northwest to Seattle,
Make sure he checks in up here. Of course, I'm leaving Saturday morning for Denver, but if he's here before that I should do a proper meet-n-greet. smile.gif

Congrat's Rob! Chicago->Denver = a very natural SS1000 It's a ride that pulls you. The sight of the Colorado Rockies is a prize for the rider whose endured the flats of Iowa and Nebraska. Sounds like a terrific trip! Lucky! Lucky!

Francois_Dumas

Well, yesterday's ride puts me out of the 'match'... I was already 'saddle sore' after an 800+ ride (kilometers that is, not miles !! frown.giffrown.gif ).

On the other hand, what with our gas prices here, perhaps that is for the better...... dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifwink.gif

Francois

• 2 weeks later...
Well, yesterday's ride puts me out of the 'match'... I was already 'saddle sore' after an 800+ ride (kilometers that is, not miles !! frown.giffrown.gif ).

On the other hand, what with our gas prices here, perhaps that is for the better...... dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifwink.gif

Francois

Gas prices?? I figure that I spent close to $400 for gas for this trip!! 5600 miles / 44 mpg average = 127 gallons x $3 = $381 for the trip. AND west coast gas prices are well beyond $3 eek.gif Add in 9 motels, a one way plane ticket to Seatac for Barb, meals, and another set of tires and you have an expensive road trip grin.gif The ride through the Rockies, Tetons, Sawtooth, Cascades, and Glacier NP make the trip worth every cent thumbsup.gif

I can't thank Joel enough for his hospitality. Joel met me at my expensive hotel accomadation in Fort Collins, CO (motel 6 grin.gif) to sign my end of ride paperwork for the SS1000 and took me to dinner. He also suggested some local roads for the next day. I was blissfully lost for hours on Monday morning somewhere in Rist canyon clap.gif

Thanks Joel thumbsup.gifwave.gif

Archived