IGNORED

Emergency Tire Repair and BMW's TIRE REPAIR KIT?

gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot

Planning some long bike trips. I still have the original tire repair kit. See pictures.

My kit looks OK but the plugs look odd. ANYONE USE THIS?  Do I have all the parts. The cement and the two CO2 cartridges are unopened. Not married to this kit. If it works I'll carry it.  

I have used car plugs which are long ropes or snakes... not "8" donut. It has instructions in tiny font.

WHAT IS YOUR ROAD TRIP TIRE REPAIR PLAN. Anyone use FIX-A-FLAT goop?  

An internal patch is the proper way to repair, but somethings you have to do what you need to do, to get home.  I  have a small 12volt air pump and tire iron/spoons, and internal patch kit. R1150RT has pretty easy rear tire removal / installation.  These tire plugs are not really permeant. 

NOTE Reading Instructions need (3) CO2 cartridges to fully fill tire.

tire kit 1.jpg

I'd bet that tube of "Special Cement" has left the building.  See what BMW wants for the Official replacement tube.

And don't worry about those plugs not being permanent.  Your tires aren't either.

1 hour ago, gmcjetpilot said:

WHAT IS YOUR ROAD TRIP TIRE REPAIR PLAN. Anyone use FIX-A-FLAT goop?  

Fix a flat doesn’t work. A buddy tried it on a road-trip yeas ago, he ended up with a bright green racing stripe up his back as the goo pissed out of the tire once under way. I did break open my BMW kit and plugged it for him. He rode it from California to Massachusetts and the tire lived on for a couple years after that.

But… I moved on to the Stop & Go plugger. Very good IMO.

As Seen On TV. :spittake:

szurszewski

If you're worried about it, order a kit from Nealey (ropes, as you say you've used - good ones) - they will make a repair as permanent as your tires. If you have a 12v pump, I'd not bother with the c02 - it's certainly faster, but as you read it will take a few canisters to fill you up (though two will probably get you enough to ride cautiously to the nearest place with a compressor). While you could use spoons on the side of the road to gain access for a patch, I sure wouldn't want to. Plug it and ride. 

https://www.nealeytirerepairkit.com/

I've used them several times and never had one that didn't outlast the tire. 

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1
BerettaRacer

I carry an off the shelf rope/glue patch kit from the auto parts store, and a 12V pump. Should get me home or to better repair center.

• Like 1
gmcjetpilot
On 5/18/2023 at 5:06 AM, Lowndes said:

Here is a "permanent" tire plug for you:

https://www.rexpair.com/

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/uBT55_NB06I

You will still need a tire pump and throw in a pair of disposable nitrile gloves just to keep those biscuit hooks kleen.

Good tip on gloves, added to my kit.  ReXpair tools they look unique. Sure they may work but no need. I have already put my tire repair kit together with small 12v air pump, to back up the CO2 carriages. Just bought a 3rd cartridge from REI, 20grams, bigger than the 16gram ones that come in BMW kit. Now with rubber gloves I am all set. Cheers.

PS I just got a flat in my Nissan LEAF which has NO SPARE. New they came with can of fix a flat and 12v pump. I bought it used and those things were missing. I had nothing. I got a flat 1 block for tire store, so I drove there and got it fixed. Not good to drive on flat.... so now I have added a repair kit, patch rope, tools, and 12v pump. 

• Like 1
MachineJoe

Not that I find fault with any of the kits mentioned in this thread but I have used Nealey on my RT tire and run it for a year. On my 3/4 ton pickup I've repaired with Nealey as well and it's been holding well at 75-85 psi for more than 2 years

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

The Nealey kit is also a "permanent " repair

Dave, I was just paraphrasing the OP's sentiments about plugs in general, it seemed like, typos notwithstanding.  As for me plugs are as permanent as the tire (not very) until they leak.  I've had one or two like that, always attributed to the inner core of the plug being porus.  Then I'll push/pull it out and put in another plug.  Beats walking.

szurszewski
17 hours ago, Lowndes said:

Dave, I was just paraphrasing the OP's sentiments about plugs in general, it seemed like, typos notwithstanding.  As for me plugs are as permanent as the tire (not very) until they leak.  I've had one or two like that, always attributed to the inner core of the plug being porus.  Then I'll push/pull it out and put in another plug.  Beats walking.

Permanent until it leaks doesn’t sound very permanent. I don’t think I’ve had a Nealey repair leak - including one where I used three ropes to seal up a tear from a nice flat sharp rock. I did replace that tire, but not before running it almost 500 miles at freeway+ speed. 

On 5/18/2023 at 12:04 AM, szurszewski said:

If you're worried about it, order a kit from Nealey (ropes, as you say you've used - good ones) - they will make a repair as permanent as your tires. If you have a 12v pump, I'd not bother with the c02 - it's certainly faster, but as you read it will take a few canisters to fill you up (though two will probably get you enough to ride cautiously to the nearest place with a compressor). While you could use spoons on the side of the road to gain access for a patch, I sure wouldn't want to. Plug it and ride. 

https://www.nealeytirerepairkit.com/

I've used them several times and never had one that didn't outlast the tire. 

+1 for Nealy kits!   Have carried and used them for years and they work great.   I got turned on to Nealy from THIS site.   The company got sold last year but looks like they are back and still making the same great product.  

• Like 2