IGNORED

2009 R1200RT Evap Charcoal Canister Vacuum Line Map?

KetoSoi

I think I have this correct... anyone confirm?

From what I can see in the parts, this would be good from 05 to 09 RT's, maybe others.

EDIT: Image updated...

Canister_09_R1200RT.jpg

Edited by KetoSoi
Fixing updated image.
1 hour ago, KetoSoi said:

I think I have this correct... anyone confirm?

From what I can see in the parts, this would be good from 05 to 09 RT's, maybe others.

Canister_09_R1200RT.jpg

Afternoon etoSoi

Close but #15 doesn't go to the fuel cap breather as there is no such thing. Hose 15 goes to the safety valve (roll-over-valve)  on the top of the fuel tank, that is forward of the filler cap & filler ring.

The hose going to the filler cap ring is the filler-ring water drain hose (exits to L/H side rear of riders foot peg).

14 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Close but #15 doesn't go to the fuel cap breather as there is no such thing. Hose 15 goes to the safety valve (roll-over-valve)  on the top of the fuel tank, that is forward of the filler cap & filler ring.

The hose going to the filler cap ring is the filler-ring water drain hose (exits to L/H side rear of riders foot peg).

So that safety valve does not operate as some sort of breather? (seems odd since its directing its active ventilation to the evap canister) Do you know what the overall function of that safety valve does?

Thanks DR :)

K

22 minutes ago, KetoSoi said:

So that safety valve does not operate as some sort of breather? (seems odd since its directing its active ventilation to the evap canister) Do you know what the overall function of that safety valve does?

Thanks DR :)

K

Afternoon etoSoi

Yes it is the tank vent path but is has nothing to do with, & doesn't attach to, the fuel filler cap or that area. The safety valve is a separate item remote from the filler cap.  It is not only a vent path but if the tank inverts (motorcycle on it's side or more)  the tank safety valve automatically closes off the vent path to prevent fuel from escaping into then out through the vent system.   

The drain hose is also a dual duty hose as it not only drains off excess fuel in the event the Evap canister would ever get over saturated but it is also the fresh-air inlet path to allow the purge cycle to work (suck out stored hydrocarbons). If the  Evap canister didn't have a fresh air inlet then the engine vacuum from the purge cycle would suck the sides of the plastic fuel tank in due to the negative pressure inside the fuel tank during the purge cycle with the purge valve open.  

Got it, so it does go to the tank breather, and that is its own assembly near the filler cap, but not part of the filler cap assembly itself.

So, its doing duty to maintain pressure equalization for the tank. So in that context, if the canister gets boogered up, clogged, in some way, the tank wont have any path to equalize pressure/vacuum, correct?

I assumed of the purge valve itself got clogged/stuck/stupid, thats outside the tanks breather path, correct? i.e. if its not working by itself (everything else is ok), the tank can still equalize pressure.

K

25 minutes ago, KetoSoi said:

Got it, so it does go to the tank breather, and that is its own assembly near the filler cap, but not part of the filler cap assembly itself.

So, its doing duty to maintain pressure equalization for the tank. So in that context, if the canister gets boogered up, clogged, in some way, the tank wont have any path to equalize pressure/vacuum, correct?

I assumed of the purge valve itself got clogged/stuck/stupid, thats outside the tanks breather path, correct? i.e. if its not working by itself (everything else is ok), the tank can still equalize pressure.

K

Afternoon etoSoi

If the Evap canister gets plugged or the lower hose gets plugged, crimped, or crushed then during the purge cycle the engine vacuum will simply suck the sides of the plastic tank in (it will crush farther than you think it would).

If the motorcycle is parked in the hot sun with engine not running & the Evap canister or lower hose is plugged then the inside of the fuel tank will go to positive pressure. 

If you are riding with a plugged Evap canister or plugged lower hose, & it isn't actually purging (purge valve closed) then there will be no fuel tank ventilation to atmosphere,  so with an inside-the-tank fuel pump that can make 45psi+ fuel pressure as the fuel is slowly used out of the tank it can't be replaced with outside ambient air so the inside of the tank will slowly go to negative pressure & that can also suck the sides of the plastic tank in.  

OK, makes sense. So if in a 'situation' where any of it was stuffed up causing tank/fuel issues, one could just detach hose 15 from the evap can', getting you back on the road for the time being.

Thanks DR :-)

20 minutes ago, KetoSoi said:

OK, makes sense. So if in a 'situation' where any of it was stuffed up causing tank/fuel issues, one could just detach hose 15 from the evap can', getting you back on the road for the time being.

Thanks DR :-)

Afternoon etoSoi

Yes, that would by-pass the Evap canister & allow direct tank venting.  

I’m happy to see this and that my experiences have been validated. 😆 Not long after I got my 2007 I had an issue where within a couple miles from home the tank had sucked in so far on the left that it was hitting the fork and forcing a turn.  😡

5 hours ago, blalor said:

I’m happy to see this and that my experiences have been validated. 😆 Not long after I got my 2007 I had an issue where within a couple miles from home the tank had sucked in so far on the left that it was hitting the fork and forcing a turn.  😡

Something near identical recently happened on my buds '08, instead of doing a little research, he trailered it to the dealer, ugh. They replaced the evap can', and it cost him a pretty penny. I think even with body-work on, it wouldnt take much to reach in there and pull that line off if youre in a bind.

K

If anyone is interested in bypassing, or just tossing the evap canister, this may help... you do so at your own risk and accord :)

Canister_09_R1200RT_Removal.jpg

• Plus 1 1
32 minutes ago, KetoSoi said:

Something near identical recently happened on my buds '08, instead of doing a little research, he trailered it to the dealer, ugh. They replaced the evap can', and it cost him a pretty penny. I think even with body-work on, it wouldnt take much to reach in there and pull that line off if youre in a bind.

K

Afternoon KetoSoi

I have led a few rides where the tank was sucking in for one or riders, I usually just cut a couple of inches off their shoe lace or cut a strip of cardboard then open the fuel filler cap, insert the end of the shoe lace between the fuel tank cap seal & the filler neck, then close the cap.

That lets enough air into the tank to prevent the tank collapse but not a large enough opening to allow fuel out. 

• Like 1