IGNORED

A road trip critique

@roadscholar 

Bill, or anyone else that would like to add an opinion also. :thumbsup:

A coworker asked me about Colorado, and in particular Telluride. I put this together for him using my mediocre Colorado knowledge. I think I could do it in this timeframe but…I’ve been known to push it sometimes. 

Doable or too much in certain areas? Thanks for looking! 

A Colorado vacation idea.

Fly into Denver International.

Car rental or a 
Bike rental option (EagleRider
1 303 531-5890

Day 1
Ride or drive to Mount Evans (highest paved road in America)
I-70 W to exit 240. 
Take a left on 103
Take a right on 5 at Echo Lake Lodge to the top of Mt. Evans.

Continue back to I-70W, take exit 195. Take Rt 91 Through Leadville. Continue and take Rt 82 into Aspen.
Suggest St. Moritz Lodge in Aspen (970) 925-3220

Day 2
Continue on Rt 82 to Carbondale and take a left on Rt 133. In Hotchkiss take a left on Rt 92 and continue to Rt 50. Go right on 50 to Montrose. Turn left on Rt 550 and continue to Ouray (pronounced U-Ray) Suggest Quality Inn on 5th Ave in Ouray. (970) 325-7203

Day 3
Continue on Rt 550 S (called the Million Dollar Highway) into Durango. 

An option from there could be to take a ride on the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. (888) 872-4607 

They have a bunch of options. One way and a bus ride back. Both ways on the train and an overnight package. 

If not doing the overnight train ride then I suggest the Double Tree by Hilton in Durango. (855) 797-6733

Day 4 or 5 depending on the Railroad option.

Take Rt 160 W out of Durango to Rt 184 NW to Rt 145 into Telluride. 
Suggest the Victorian Inn in Telluride. (970) 728-6601

Stay a couple nights in Telluride and then take a direct route back to Denver. I would plan on at least six hours to get back to Denver. fly home.

roadscholar

Looks pretty good at a glance Pat. Only change I might make is from Telluride take 141 thru Gateway (there’s a car museum there but I haven’t stopped) the scenery alone is worth it. If he’s in a car take I-70 back to Denver but if on a bike I’d take 50 and 285 back but it takes longer.

• Thanks 1

You've got some of the best roads EVER on this itinerary.   We spend most Septembers in CO between Steamboat and Buena Vista, and have done all those roads many times.  

The only add I would make is coming out of Telluride, head over Cottonwood pass (it's all brand new pavement, and then head north over Copper pass to 70 to Denver airport-gives you another pass, and one of my favorite routes, but it does add time.  

You also should check to see if it is a good day to head up Evans-if it's cloudy, pass. 

I have a friend who rents out (not sure the program) an older but reliable GS and could put you in touch with him if interested. 

One week is just not nearly enough to enjoy the riding in CO!

• Thanks 1
roadscholar

Not to debate because there are any number of great roads in Co. He already did Copper Mtn on the way to Leadville (91, Fremont Pass) and Cottonwood could add an hour or two maybe more. Another couple ways to get back over to 70 is Hoosier Pass (9) from FairPlay to Breckinridge or the one I’d take, Guanella Pass over to Georgetown a little further east, recently paved on the south side and probably still doesn’t have much traffic.

• Like 2

For sure those work as well.  That's why one week in CO isn't enough!   Didn't know Guanella is paved-thanks.  

Last year on our first ride over Copper, there was a good two inches of snow on the sides of the road, but no accumulation on the road itself.  I can't figure if I like going north or south is my favorite over that route.  But heading into Leadville never fails to thrill me.   And always seems to ask for a bit more than the suggested speed limit...

• Like 1
roadscholar

I used to leave an RV and a couple bikes in Salida for 10-11 years and went 2 or 3 times each year staying just down from the CD. Told my buddies I didn’t want to do every road, always need to leave something for the next time..

• Like 1

Our friends have a large ranch (600 acres) right at the base of Mt Princeton.   One of our favorite places.  nice place, Salida, which has really grown recently  

• Like 2

Thanks John, and good morning! :wave: IDK how lucky he is but I sure do like guiding people on some of the spectacular places I’ve seen. Even if I’m not there. :)

• Like 1