IGNORED

ABS Faults but Brake Activation actions are reversed -- Where to look??

05STRider

I just bought a 2nd '05 ST but this one has ABS, and it's got the brake warning failure. I checked the brake reservoirs and they are topped and I will still flush both.  The faults per my GS911 are: 24970 Front Break Pressure too low; 24966 Rear Brake Pressure too low; 25190 ABS Switch failure and 25140 ABS Internal detection Failure.  I was checking all the real time readings and noticed the brake activation for handbrake and rear brake were switched.  When I applied the front brake the Rear Brake Activated was registered, and when I pressed the rear brake, the Hand Brake Activated was registered.  My assumption is that there is a connector attached backwards or connectors are in the wrong socket.  Can anyone suggest where to look for something like that?  With the activation signals reversed it would make sense the pressure readings would not be correct and all the problems may just be this connection problem.

Appreciate any shared wisdom on this topic or the ABS in general.

Dave C; FL

13 hours ago, 05STRider said:

I just bought a 2nd '05 ST but this one has ABS, and it's got the brake warning failure. I checked the brake reservoirs and they are topped and I will still flush both.  The faults per my GS911 are: 24970 Front Break Pressure too low; 24966 Rear Brake Pressure too low; 25190 ABS Switch failure and 25140 ABS Internal detection Failure.  I was checking all the real time readings and noticed the brake activation for handbrake and rear brake were switched.  When I applied the front brake the Rear Brake Activated was registered, and when I pressed the rear brake, the Hand Brake Activated was registered.  My assumption is that there is a connector attached backwards or connectors are in the wrong socket.  Can anyone suggest where to look for something like that?  With the activation signals reversed it would make sense the pressure readings would not be correct and all the problems may just be this connection problem.

Appreciate any shared wisdom on this topic or the ABS in general.

Dave C; FL

Morning Dave

This is going to a difficult diagnosis over the internet. 

It sort of points to an internal pressure switch failure inside the ABS control module. 

On the brake switch wire inputs being switched? -- That is going to be easy to sort going into the ZFE but will very difficult to actually verify as both the front & rear brake switches report directly to the ZFE module ( not directly to the ABS module). The brake switch inputs actually go into the ZFE (chassis module), then the switch input discreet goes over the CAN (CanBus) to the actual ABS module (no direct connection). 

I believe both the font & rear brakes switches are N/C switches that go open when activated. 

The front (hand lever)  goes into the ZFE on pins 19 & pin 15.   Pin 19 is the white/gray wire & pin 15 is the white/violet wire. 

The rear (foot pedal)  goes into the ZFE on pins 14 & pin 18.   Pin 14 is the green/black wire & pin 18 is the yellow/green wire. The wire colors at the rear switch itself are different so the above wires colors are as the wires enter the ZFE. 

You might try calling Module Masters (208) 892-0764 as they deal with these ABS brake modules daily, possibly they can shed some light on what you are dealing with. 

Did you check the brake fluid levels in the ABS module itself? (see picture below). Probably not your issue but should be checked anyhow.

deG5JIr.jpg