IGNORED

Transmission Fill and Drain Plugs?

KetoSoi

Anyone replace one or both of these plugs with anything aftermarket?

I have a M18x1.5 magnetic aftermarket, its a little bit longer than the OEM fill plug, but apparently still quite a bit of clearance with the gear thats right there. Looks like the primary drive gear, which shouldnt move its relative position I would think.

Also have a M14x1.5 magnetic stubby plug that may be usable on the drain end, though I have heard theres not much internal clearance. Anyone try anything there?

Thanks,

K

9 hours ago, KetoSoi said:

Anyone replace one or both of these plugs with anything aftermarket?

I have a M18x1.5 magnetic aftermarket, its a little bit longer than the OEM fill plug, but apparently still quite a bit of clearance with the gear thats right there. Looks like the primary drive gear, which shouldnt move its relative position I would think.

Also have a M14x1.5 magnetic stubby plug that may be usable on the drain end, though I have heard theres not much internal clearance. Anyone try anything there?

Morning KetoSoi

The factory drain plug should already have a magnet so I don't see any gain in adding a different one.

The fill plug comes close to the large output shaft (I think 3rd)  driven gear so you need to be very careful that the magnet doesn't hit that gear in operation. 

One problem I have seen with aftermarket magnetic plugs is the possibility of the magnet coming loose in operation then ending up between the gear teeth ruining the gear sets. With the fill plug having a recessed socket for the removal tool that doesn't leave much room to solidly retain the magnet without coming close to the internal driven gear. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning KetoSoi

The factory drain plug should already have a magnet so I don't see any gain in adding a different one.

The fill plug comes close to the large output shaft (I think 3rd)  driven gear so you need to be very careful that the magnet doesn't hit that gear in operation. 

One problem I have seen with aftermarket magnetic plugs is the possibility of the magnet coming loose in operation then ending up between the gear teeth ruining the gear sets. With the fill plug having a recessed socket for the removal tool that doesn't leave much room to solidly retain the magnet without coming close to the internal driven gear. 

Interesting, on my RT the transmission drain plug doesnt have a magnet, and is not magnetic at all.

The fill plug on mine is a little boogered up, and I happen to have this aftermarket M18. Theres a solid 1/2" clearance between its end and that driven gear. Point taken on the magnet, I'll have to take a closer look at the construction.

Thanks DR, sometimes I feel like I should just message you directly, lol.

K

I added a magnetic drain plug on my camhead and the oem magnetic fill plug always has some small slivers of steel on it. The magnetic drain plug is always clean. Strange but the fill plug picks up the metal. 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, 6speedTi said:

I added a magnetic drain plug on my camhead and the oem magnetic fill plug always has some small slivers of steel on it. The magnetic drain plug is always clean. Strange but the fill plug picks up the metal. 

That is a curiosity... maybe thats why my hexhead doesnt have one on the drain. Hmmm, maybe BMW determined it doesnt help in that location?

Good info, thanks!

K

5 minutes ago, KetoSoi said:

That is a curiosity... maybe thats why my hexhead doesnt have one on the drain. Hmmm, maybe BMW determined it doesnt help in that location?

Good info, thanks!

K

Afternoon KetoSoi

The bottom location would be better than the filler area but either way it probably doesn't make a lot of difference as the internal bearings are sealed from the gear oil.  

The BMW parts manual shows both the filler plug & the drain plug replacement are magnetic for the hexhead (all they offer). So BMW services both plugs with magnetic plugs. 

Even as original the magnetic drain plug seems to be hit & miss somewhat depending on the transmission codes & my guess is  probably also on availability at the time or transmission assembly.