IGNORED

Need advice with these connections.

009jim

Gents, for my 2012 RT, the top piece of the fairing on the left side (see photo), has electrical connections for the radio and the auxiliary power. These are out of sight and practically impossible to disconnect. Before I did my service, I watched a U-tube video where they recommended to temporarily re-attach the top left piece while you work on the bike, and thus avoid disconnecting those connections to the radio and aux power. I did this by looping some fishing line around the top of this piece and hanging it from the ceiling of my shed.

My question however is, has anybody found a simple way to disconnect those connections? What do they look like?

new rego image003 - crop - annotated.jpg

bruce2000ltc

I don't know of an easy way to unplug the radio controls.  When I did the lighted roundel mod on my '13RT I found it easier to just remove the screws that hold the black plastic w/controls portion from the painted side cover.  It's only about 4 screws and not that hard to do.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, bruce2000ltc said:

I don't know of an easy way to unplug the radio controls.  When I did the lighted roundel mod on my '13RT I found it easier to just remove the screws that hold the black plastic w/controls portion from the painted side cover.  It's only about 4 screws and not that hard to do.

I thought that might be one approach. Thanks for the comment.

After buying my 2013 RT in November, but before removing any fairing panels, I watched that same video by Max BMW (I believe) about reattaching that audio panel once the large side panel is out of the way.

I tried several other things including placing the audio panel on top of a tall stool next to the bike (worked OK, but then the stool got in my way), removing the other screws that allowed me to separate the audio panel into pieces so just the connected items remained hanging from the bike, and the next time tried in vain to disconnect all the wire plugs.

Finally I tried what was recommended on the video, and after doing it 2 or 3 times that is now by far the easiest method for me (one panel in each hand, then reattach the audio panel once the side panel is out of the way).

• Like 1
bruce2000ltc

I've removed the fairing panels dozens of times and I agree with jdub53 the easiest way is to do like Max BMW and suspend the left fairing panel with a bungee cord.  I separated the radio controls from the panel when I needed the panel free from the bike to do the lighted roundel mod.

• Like 1