IGNORED

My RT is a bird magnet

2015 Blue RT

2015 Blue RT

I had my first bird strike in 20+ years of riding in 2021, posted here. Today was #2. I noticed a lot of roadkill this morning while headed out to get gas. Was able to use my $9 air horn for the first group of birds on the way there. Not so lucky on the return trip. Saw two of them while doing 65 MPH and gave a couple of blasts. One took off away from my path and the other instead of following flew right at me (Kamakazi?). That broke off the Puig windshield, which took my Oukitel tablet with it. I was able to recover what was left of the "rugged" tablet- in fairness it was probably run over by a vehicle behind me. It also broke the nav mount as well and tore the charging cord from my wireless charger. The good news out of all of this is the tablets are now about $10 less than when I bought mine, plus this time the side wing did not break. I was able to reinstall my OEM windshield for now. Pics below.

IMG_20230513_105319_273.jpg

IMG_20230513_105410_659.jpg

• Sad 1

Bird strikes can be very dangerous. Where I live wild turkeys are common. This one flushed out of tall grass right next to the road. It hit me square in the face at 60 mph. I blacked out momentarily but maintained control . I went back later and recovered it 150' out in a cotton field.

DSCN0594.JPG

DSCN0601.JPG

• Like 2
  • Smile 2
2015 Blue RT
4 hours ago, Lowndes said:

What kinda birds you be hittin??  Cessnas??

Florida buzzards, a/k/a roadkill cleanup service.

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, Lowndes said:

NO hittin the Wild Turkey while you be ridin.  End up 150  ft in the cotton yourself. 

Flying bowling balls.

• Like 1
2015 Blue RT
4 hours ago, EdM said:

The one that flew at you was probably thinking, "if I take him down, we're all eaten real good".

LOL. Had that happened I carry a little friend with 12+1 little friends to dissuade such activity. It's kind of like two guys being chased by a bear. One says to the other "We both have to outrun it", while the other one says "No, I only have to outrun you.":4323: