IGNORED

Starter motor not engaging

jacksdad63

jacksdad63

Here again!

Yesterday the starter motor stopped starting....

Its getting power but not engaging, sounds like the gear thats thrown forward is sticking, the motor still spins but it just makes a noise: usual thing for this type of 'car' starter.

Is there any point in me stripping and cleaning/lubing the throw-out mech?

I've done this on my Isuzu 4x4 twice, it gets used offroad a lot and gets chocked up with crud, cleaning works, but never done a BMW starter :dontknow:

I'll fit a brush refurb kit as well, whilst its off.

dirtrider
3 hours ago, jacksdad63 said:

Here again!

Yesterday the starter motor stopped starting....

Its getting power but not engaging, sounds like the gear thats thrown forward is sticking, the motor still spins but it just makes a noise: usual thing for this type of 'car' starter.

Is there any point in me stripping and cleaning/lubing the throw-out mech?

I've done this on my Isuzu 4x4 twice, it gets used offroad a lot and gets chocked up with crud, cleaning works, but never done a BMW starter :dontknow:

I'll fit a brush refurb kit as well, whilst its off.

Moring Mike

On a jammed starter, in a lot of cases it is the starter drive metal shield that comes loose & that can stop the starter from working. 

Or, on the 1100 a field magnet can come loose & jam the armature from spinning but this stops the starter from spinning.

jacksdad63

Hi there DR, I've stripped the motor, one magnet has indeed come away, and also the carrier for the brushes is broken. This is a Valeo D6RA7/5 type.

I've used JB weld to re-fix the magnet, and bought a new brush set. I struggled to rebuild thid end! I couldn't get the plastic carrier to fit flush, I then noticed the coil spring that holds the brushes in place was the culprit.

You need to fit the carrier and use the 2 fixing nuts to hold it down, and only then clip the brush spring into the carrier slot, ensuring it goes under the matching lug on the steel body. I think the carrier was broken when fitting, if you pull up the spring to fit the brushes, and drop it, it will shoot down and hit the carrier! I did exactly this, luckily I hadn't raised it too high and nothing broke.

Once the brushes are in place you can remove the nuts, fit the cover and insulator/seal and complete the job.

starter04.jpg

starter03.jpg

• Like 2
Michaelr11
14 hours ago, jacksdad63 said:

I've used JB weld to re-fix the magnet, and bought a new brush set. I struggled to rebuild thid end! I couldn't get the plastic carrier to fit flush, I then noticed the coil spring that holds the brushes in place was the culprit.

Good grief, what are you doing?  A new replacement starter motor is less than $70 (in the USA).

49 minutes ago, Michaelr11 said:

Good grief, what are you doing?  A new replacement starter motor is less than $70 (in the USA).

Some guys just like to fix stuff!

• Plus 1 1
  • Haha 1
chrisolson
1 hour ago, Michaelr11 said:

37 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Some guys just like to fix stuff!

I believe JacksDad63 is in the UK ... where there is a long tradition of craftsmanship of repairing / restoring  motor vehicles  at their most basic level  rather than a simple new parts exchange

• Like 2
jacksdad63

Well! A new Valeo starter is £189 plus shipping £7.50. 

The brush kit was just under £30. 

This issue of magnets coming away from the housing is quite common on many vehicles and often goes unnoticed as the thing still works, until 3 or all 4 come away. Plus of course I like fixing stuff! Can't beat a bit of a fettle can you?  :classic_ohmy:

BUT! 

I rebuilt the motor, and tried it...wouldn't spin freely. The new brush set was the problem, the spring that holds the brushes down was far too strong, basically acting as a brake. I stripped and checked everything then just tried turning the motor before a fitted the brush assembly, perfect! So I checked the original Valeo spring, I could easily feel the difference in strength. Back in with the old brushes as they were only 4mm shorter than the new and I thought the spring tension would be a little lower. 

Worked perfectly then, even using a small battery that was at 11.5V.

So I could of rebuilt the thing at zero cost, or just a bit of JB Weld, and a few hours fettling whilst listening to Classic Rock on the radio, much better than almost £200 :clap: 

• Like 6