IGNORED

Pros and cons of different motorcycle engines

bendbill

MichiganBob

It was real good and thanks.

However, our beloved boxer received scant coverage/analysis compared to other engine configurations. The design has more pros than just a lower center of gravity so us old geezers can right-side the bike. 

11 hours ago, CruisinCruzan said:

I like FortNine’s videos, I often find them very informative.

Just not all that accurate. Slick content is often like that.

RandyShields

Interesting, as his videos are.  I think there was an equivalent level of focus on the boxer as to the other engines, but just relegating them to older guys and labeling them dumb misses a lot of the benefits.  I can't disagree with his conclusion on the V4 -- after owning a VFR back in the day, it was a fantastic engine and made a wonderful, unique sound.  The one point his misses with the six, though, is weight.  Yes, that configuration is almost perfect from a power standpoint -- see the K1600 which he does not mention; talk about a screamer -- but it generally takes a heavier frame to hold it than most twins or fours.  And what is with the "Whorsepower" reference on the chalk board?  I don't get that.

23 hours ago, RandyShields said:

"Whorsepower"

I think that is referring to HP whores that can never get enough......:java:

MichiganBob

Some of my buddy's reminisce about bikes they owned years ago that have morphed into the best bike ever built. Memory is unreliable. 

14 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

Some of my buddy's reminisce about bikes they owned years ago that have morphed into the best bike ever built. Memory is unreliable. 

Especially when you ride one of those memory bikes.....not so good as you remembered!

• Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1
beemerman2k

Such articles assume a particular application, such as sport bike racing.  Given a particular application, some configurations will always be viewed as preferable to others.  For the application of long distance riding, thing’s definitely change with respect to priorities in engine qualities.