IGNORED

Scan tool App for laptop or phone?

gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot

I just finished my ABS/Wheel brake job, new Galfer brake lines, new Carbone Lorraine, 17 ounces of Dot 4.  I understand "per the book" you can/should check pressures with a scan tool?

Not withstanding the brake work, where can I get a scan tool, how much. What can you do with it? I assume some Fuel Injection adjustments can be made with it. 

I have 2004 R1150RT.....  I see scanner tools for $35 to $399 

I have a Ross Tech Can Bus cable that works with my laptop for my car, VW Diesel TDI Sportwagen. It has paid for it's self X10.

dirtrider
7 hours ago, gmcjetpilot said:

I just finished my ABS/Wheel brake job, new Galfer brake lines, new Carbone Lorraine, 17 ounces of Dot 4.  I understand "per the book" you can/should check pressures with a scan tool?

Not withstanding the brake work, where can I get a scan tool, how much. What can you do with it? I assume some Fuel Injection adjustments can be made with it. 

I have 2004 R1150RT.....  I see scanner tools for $35 to $399 

I have a Ross Tech Can Bus cable that works with my laptop for my car, VW Diesel TDI Sportwagen. It has paid for it's self X10.

Morning gmcjetpilot

Your BMW 1150 Ma 2.4 doesn't have CanBus, or LinBus or any onboard remote modules that can report to a scanner. The 1150 Motronic data is also pretty limited. 

Even what you can see depends on the scan tool, the GS-911 is about the best for the BMW  motorcycles. MotoScan app works on the later BMW motorcycles but I have worked with some that have given me the wrong fault codes read by the MotoScan app (I don't have or use a Motoscan myself as I strictly use the GS-911). 

On your BMW 1150 (Ma 2.4) a scan tool in not that important as the data output is not that great. Not much if anything can be changed inside the Motronic so a scan tool is just a basic (limited) diagnostic tool & it isn't really that helpful on the 1150 Ma 2.4 systems. 

On the I-ABS  brake system, with a scan tool there is a pressure check verification but even that is iffy as a number of BMW 1150 (I-ABS) motorcycles won't pass the basic pressure test using a scanner even with a good healthy I-ABS system.

If you can even get your brake system to pass the pressure test (sure not a given) it really doesn't tell you much as even if they pass the basic pressure test the ABS module can as easily fail an internal pressure sensor the next day as have them live a long life. 

The scanners (like the GS-911) really start becoming useful & helpful on the later 1200 hexhead and up motorcycles as those produce a LOT more useful info on their data output line & with the later motorcycles having CanBus & LinBus you can even make some system operational changes.  

gmcjetpilot
12 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning gmcjetpilot

Your BMW 1150 Ma 2.4 doesn't have CanBus, or LinBus or any onboard remote modules that can report to a scanner. The 1150 Motronic data is also pretty limited. 

[SNIP}

The scanners (like the GS-911) really start becoming useful & helpful on the later 1200 hexhead and up motorcycles as those produce a LOT more useful info on their data output line & with the later motorcycles having CanBus & LinBus you can even make some system operational changes.  

Good morning Dirtrider. That is exactly what I needed. Part of this journey is maintaining my bike, but also learning.  Thanks for sharing that info.  a GS-911 looks like it's in my future, may be even a Hexhead may be also something I may aspire to as well. The scanners are not that expensive. Regards.

dirtrider
15 minutes ago, gmcjetpilot said:

Good morning Dirtrider. That is exactly what I needed. Part of this journey is maintaining by bike, but also learning.  Thanks for sharing that info.  a GS-911 looks like it's in my future, may be even a Hexhead may be also something I may aspire to as well. The scanners are not that expensive. Regards.

Morning gmcjetpilot

The newer GS-911 WiFi version is a very useful tool for the Hexhead & later BMW motorcycles, the older yellow GS-911 is lacking a lot for use on the newer BMW motorcycles.  

• Plus 1 1

And this is exactly why I will never own a motorcycle newer than the two I own ( '93 R1100RSL, '10 FJR 1300).  Am sorely tempted by the candy red '78 R100S currently for sale in the MOA flea market. A bit speedy at 10K but looks to be a  beauty with 32K miles AND NO ECU!   At least my two bikes don't have CANBUS.

57 minutes ago, JamesW said:

And this is exactly why I will never own a motorcycle newer than the two I own ( '93 R1100RSL, '10 FJR 1300).  Am sorely tempted by the candy red '78 R100S currently for sale in the MOA flea market. A bit speedy at 10K but looks to be a  beauty with 32K miles AND NO ECU!   At least my two bikes don't have CANBUS.

Plus, no mothership support, i.e. no Clymer/Haynes manuals or even a useful BMW shop manual.  Next, they will want us to take it to an "Authorized BMW Dealer" to adjust the rear view mirrors and donate more money.

Deductive Reasoning! is the answer in fewer words. It has always worked, sometimes it takes a little longer, now that I'm in my 70's...

4 hours ago, Bumwah said:

Deductive Reasoning! is the answer in fewer words. It has always worked, sometimes it takes a little longer, now that I'm in my 70's...

Care to clarify??  (for others in their 70's)