IGNORED

Rear wheel failure

TEWKS

Not so sure this fits in ride well because he did a pretty damn good job of controlling the bike…until the end anyway. Not sure what let go, speculation on the vid was lug nuts loose and left the bike. Maybe spokes? :dontknow:

dirtrider

Can't quite tell as the frames of the video are spaced too far apart but in one frame it looks like the rear wheel flange might have come apart. It sure could be though. 

I would definitely like to know what failed! 

• Like 1

Re watched the slow mo part and it is clear to me that the hub is still firmly attached and as the bike comes to rest the broken spokes are flailing around.

Gotta check those spokes y'all love so much.

A friend of mine (evil Harley owner) was having an issue with some rear end wobble. I put it up on the lift figuring I would find a bad wheel bearing or bad swingarm bushings. Instead I found two broken spokes and 4 very loose spokes, with catastrophic failure not far off. (He liked doing burnouts...) He says he'll just ride it home and take it to the dealer later in the week. What? No! I said I'll pull the wheel, you can take my truck and get a replacement and have the hardware, brake rotor, pulley, switched over to the new wheel, bring it back and we'll get you on the road. It worked out well, but it could have been disastrous. I always checked my spokes, but that just reaffirmed my vigilance.  (This is a friend that really should not ride, he

doesn't take it seriously enough. So many other stories to share about him. Lost touch, not sure how much he rides anymore.) 

The truck being gone for a few days was no big deal, I don't use it much in the summer. Hell, I don't use it much in the winter.

That video was disturbing, hope he wasn't hurt too badly.

14 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

Re watched the slow mo part and it is clear to me that the hub is still firmly attached and as the bike comes to rest the broken spokes are flailing around.

Gotta check those spokes y'all love so much.

I've read several reports of caliper mounting bolts loosening (at least four incidents in this thread),  the caliper coming off and falling into the spokes.

The wheel was wobbling, but if the caliper hit the spokes in that video it would have been more than a gradual process.

I was on my way back from a 200 mile round trip 2015ish, mebbee 20 miles from the house when I felt some rear end wobble on the RT, enough to be of concern.  So, I stopped, and my lug bolts on the back, all five were loose.  Tightened them up with my limited tooling I had, hopped back on, wobble back, pull over tighten again, x3 more times before I came upon an O'Reillys and got the T40 to properly tighten.  Dunno why they came a'loose, but hasn't happened again.