IGNORED

New owner starting question

christianf

christianf

Just purchased a 2006 1200rt. 
i remember that at the beginning when I would stop and turn the bike off and came back 5 mn later, just turning the key in the ignition would star the bike. It doesn’t do it anymore. Did I change a settings by mistake?

dirtrider
5 hours ago, christianf said:

Just purchased a 2006 1200rt. 
i remember that at the beginning when I would stop and turn the bike off and came back 5 mn later, just turning the key in the ignition would star the bike. It doesn’t do it anymore. Did I change a settings by mistake?

Morning christianf

You need to explain this in more detail.  To start the 2006 1200RT you need to have the key turned ON, then actually push the start button on the right handlebar. (there is no starter crank position in the ignition switch)

christianf

What I experienced a few time was a restart without pushing on the starter button. It happened when I came back to the bike after 5minutes when I stoped at a gas station and went inside for a quick purchase. When I came back I put the key in and turned it to start the bike but it did not give me enough time to push the starter button because it went back on by itself.  It started on its own. I loved this but it stopped doing it after a few rides and hasn’t done it since. 
i have not noticed any issue with the starter motor or any special noise from the starter. 
Is that a standard setup on these bikes? 

Sounds like you had a sticking starter push button and it loosened up on its own.  That's not a normal operation for the RT.

That's not a normal starting operation for any motorcycle. That's not even a normal starting operation for any car.

dirtrider
2 hours ago, christianf said:

What I experienced a few time was a restart without pushing on the starter button. It happened when I came back to the bike after 5minutes when I stoped at a gas station and went inside for a quick purchase. When I came back I put the key in and turned it to start the bike but it did not give me enough time to push the starter button because it went back on by itself.  It started on its own. I loved this but it stopped doing it after a few rides and hasn’t done it since. 
i have not noticed any issue with the starter motor or any special noise from the starter. 
Is that a standard setup on these bikes? 

Evening christianf

Very strange & definitely not normal. It should ONLY crank & start with the starter button pushed.

If it didn't crank on it's own without the key turned on then that sort of eliminates the starter or the starter solenoid itself.

It could be a sticking starter push button switch, or some type of problem with the starter relay, or a shorted wire (but not real likely as there are not many circuits on the hexhead that only come on with the key).   

If that problem comes back you need to find the problem or have it looked at as it can become an expensive issue.