IGNORED

Fuel cap assembly bolt pattern compatibility?

KetoSoi

Hi All,

Looking for a Tank Bag for my 2009 RT. The BMW bag would be nice since it works with the factory mounting rails, but the things are outrageously expensive. I see some aftermarket stuff, that bolts a 'ring' adapter to the fuel cap assembly. Some of those indicate 2014 and up, not the 2009 generation. Is the 2009 bolt pattern/spacing the same as following generation(s)?

Thanks for any info!

K

dirtrider
13 hours ago, KetoSoi said:

Hi All,

Looking for a Tank Bag for my 2009 RT. The BMW bag would be nice since it works with the factory mounting rails, but the things are outrageously expensive. I see some aftermarket stuff, that bolts a 'ring' adapter to the fuel cap assembly. Some of those indicate 2014 and up, not the 2009 generation. Is the 2009 bolt pattern/spacing the same as following generation(s)?

Thanks for any info!

Morning  KetoSoi

The part numbers are different between the 2009 & 2014. There is more to it than just the bolt pattern as the open cap must clear the added ring. 

On the BMW 1200RT hexhead motorcycles mounting the tank bag is important but finding a tank bag that will work on the 1200RT is very challenging  as most tank bags (even those that LOOK like they will work) will hit the horn button when the handlebars are turned. 

One decent work-around on the BMW 1200RT tank bag mounting is to buy a well used (old worn bag with yellowing map window) original BMW tank bag on E-Bay.  Then take the bag off & throw it out. Then use the plate to mount your own bag on. 

You end up with a nice removable plate that fits the stock factory mount rails, then mount a small tank bag on that plate.  

Picture below shows a Big Mac (no longer made) tank bag mounted on a factory BMW mounting plate. 

YqKMhy2.jpg

Thanks DR, didnt know about the horn issue. I did to some comparisons on the fuel-cap 'ring' the bolt pattern is identical, as is the diameter. The problem I didnt know about, is that the 14+ doesnt have the tank-bag rail at all. That would present a potential height problem for the bag 'ring' on an '09. Its always something... lol.

Thanks for the tip on the 'plate', dang good idea. If not able to find one, I may just have to fab something myself. Oh well...

I appreciate the info, as always :D

K