IGNORED

Doswell VA to VT, NH, and ME info/advice requested

Dave_in_TX

After attending the MOA national rally I am planning to attend a small rally in Shelburne NH about a week later. I'm planning to head east to pick up I81 before heading north up to Binghamton NY, avoiding DC, NYC, Boston, and some of the other big cities, I will only be at the Shelburne rally for two days before heading west to Wisconsin for DART but I will have about seven days between the MOA national and the Shelburne rally to get to Shelburne and hopefully explore New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine. I have the Butler maps but have never been to that part of the country so would welcome advice on roads to ride and what to see. Some New York state advice might be useful also.

Dave, any camping? Any dirt roads? Do you hike at all? I’ve got couple ideas but they could be fine tuned with that info. ;)

Dave_in_TX

I'll have my camping gear with me but will probably motel it most (maybe all) of the time after camping at the MOA national.. I'm not much of a dirt rider and may be on pure street tires.

I might be interested in a little hiking but won't have any dedicated hiking gear with me.

Anyt info ou can provide would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Day 1

From Binghamton I’d head up to Lake George for the night. S Shore Rd along Great Sacandaga Lake is a nice ride up there.

Stay Here and Take take the Steamboat Dinner Cruise. It was a great time at the UN rally I thought.

Day 2

Head up to Lake Placid and then on to Whiteface Mountain.

9N to 74w to state rt 9 to 73 into Lake Placid. A great burger can be had at the Lake Placid Pub & Brewery

Leave Lake Placid on 86 to Wilmington then take a left on 431 to the summit of Whiteface. It’s pretty spectacular.

After that make your way over to Essex and hop the ferry over to Vermont. Ride to Hinesburg and take 116 S to 17 to 100 N to 100B to 2 into Montpellier. This is going to be a pretty full day but doable I think.

Day 3

Take 2 into New Hampshire ( I don’t think this will be a particularly scenic ride but will get you east). In Gorham take 16 North and follow that into Maine. Follow 16 till it dumps you onto 4 and take that into Rangeley. The Rangeley Inn  is a cool old inn that has the feel of a hundred years ago, but in a good way.

Day 4

Take 4 south to S shore Rd (on the south side of Rangeley lake) to 17s. There’s a couple very nice overlooks, one on the left that overlooks Rangeley Lake and then further down on the right called “Height of the Land” that overlooks Lake Mooselookmeguntic. (Say that one 3x fast) ;)

I was going to suggest Moosehead Lake but I think that might be more than you need. 17 south will take you towards Shelburne.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Dave_in_TX

Pat, I want to thank you for putting this together. I should have plenty of time, so will probably add Moosehead Lake to the itinerary, I may ride around Lake Champlain rather than ride the ferry. I haven't had any incidents the few times I have taken a ferry, but the metal decks and metal ramps of ferries make me nervous when on two wheels.

• Like 1

You’re welcome Dave, hope it works out well for you! :thumbsup:

Moosehead Lake

We stayed at Maynard’s They have really good food and price it as a package with your room. 
A ride to Seboomook Wilderness Campground is very cool, about 25 miles each way of dirt but well maintained dirt.

A271BA6B-7449-481D-AFD2-E15BA62E57D1.jpeg

And the view from the top of Mt. Kineo is pretty spectacular! 

• Like 1