IGNORED

Waterlogged Sena

MikeB60

Well my Sena 50s died on the way home from START.  I know they are only water resistant but I've never had an issue with water intrusion until now.  

Blew a bunch of water out through the charging port and thought this is most likely terminal.  During the autopsy it was obvious the inside had gotten wet in the past as well. Cleaned off some green crusty stuff with Deoxit but figured the damage was done. Yep its terminal. Very adequate seal between the two halfs of the unit.  I suspect the water gets in around the jog wheel based on what I saw. At 350 a pop it might be prudent to take the Sena off during a downpour. 

20230430_113612.thumb.jpg.3ce3df6fca7a94f887db2ec5536453d9.jpg20230430_113554.thumb.jpg.36d06745039118d6d16d2152fcaed3f9.jpg

• Sad 2
RandyShields

Too bad.  That is one of the main differences pointed out in reviews of the Sena and Cardo units.

• Plus 1 1

They don’t really emphasize (not waterproof) in their advertising of the product. Of course they’re waterproof, motorcycle riders get rained on every now and again was my thought when buying. :dontknow: My 10S was beeping & chirping in some of Georgia’s heavy rain last week. It was probably trying to warn me. :classic_ohmy:

So far, between the previous 10S and the current 20S, I've not had issues.  Get your dash ten out and repair it;)

Just now, TSConver said:

Get a cardo, they are waterproof.

I have one but don't really care for the microphone or the controls when compared to a Sena. Also, my wife and son both have Senas. Easy enough to switch around, I don't use helmet speakers, so I'll start using the Cardo and replace the waterlogged Sena for family rides. 

12 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

So far, between the previous 10S and the current 20S, I've not had issues.  Get your dash ten out and repair it;)

I wish! 

dirtrider
2 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

Well my Sena 50s died on the way home from START.  I know they are only water resistant but I've never had an issue with water intrusion until now.  

Blew a bunch of water out through the charging port and thought this is most likely terminal.  During the autopsy it was obvious the inside had gotten wet in the past as well. Cleaned off some green crusty stuff with Deoxit but figured the damage was done. Yep its terminal. Very adequate seal between the two halfs of the unit.  I suspect the water gets in around the jog wheel based on what I saw. At 350 a pop it might be prudent to take the Sena off during a downpour. 

Afternoon Mike

On small items like that I have a glass quart jar with a threaded fitting epoxied in the cover. I just toss whatever I want to rid of moisture in that jar, then hook that top fitting to my Air Conditioning vacuum pump.

Moisture boils in a vacuum (the reason they evacuate A/C systems before re-charging). 

I have used the above a number of times on my not-so-waterproof wrist watch, & on other small vehicle type electronics.  

The secret (well sort of anyhow) is to get the moisture out BEFORE you power the (whatever) on as that hopefully prevents stray electrical from going to things it should not go to.

I have tried it using vacuum from a running engine but that doesn't seem to pull quite enough negative pressure to  boil all the moisture out.  

That green corrosion is mostly copper, transported in the water by electrical current and left behind as the water dried. It forms conductive paths (short circuits) that are difficult to remove especially in electronics where circuit paths are close together and hard to reach. Under and between the pins of those integrated circuit chips, for instance. If that spot at the bottom is the only corroded area, it might be possible to scrape the green away with a small stiff brush or a pick since the corrosion seems to be in a pretty open area. You have nothing to lose by trying.

Whenever possible, wet electronics should have the power source removed ASAP to prevent this type of damage. If that can be accomplished immediately, actual drying can wait. 

I wonder if a bit of dielectric grease could be applied to the shaft of the jog wheel to help keep water out? 

Mike, you may want to try calling Sena customer service. They replaced a Sena 20 for both Joel and I that stopped working when they got wet. YMMV

• Thanks 1
dirtrider
1 hour ago, lkraus said:

That green corrosion is mostly copper, transported in the water by electrical current and left behind as the water dried. It forms conductive paths (short circuits) that are difficult to remove especially in electronics where circuit paths are close together and hard to reach. Under and between the pins of those integrated circuit chips, for instance. If that spot at the bottom is the only corroded area, it might be possible to scrape the green away with a small stiff brush or a pick since the corrosion seems to be in a pretty open area. You have nothing to lose by trying.

Whenever possible, wet electronics should have the power source removed ASAP to prevent this type of damage. If that can be accomplished immediately, actual drying can wait. 

I wonder if a bit of dielectric grease could be applied to the shaft of the jog wheel to help keep water out? 

Afternoon Larry

I wonder if a bit of dielectric grease could be applied to the shaft of the jog wheel to help keep water out? --- That can work as I have used it before. I have some lightweight plastic digital clocks that I use on my lightweight dirt bikes (not many features on those).

Those little devils are accurate for riding a full season & only need a new battery about every 3 years so I value them.

Problem is, they are not waterproof so after I failed a couple due to water intrusion I started working some Dielectric silicone grease into the buttons (just worked it in using my finger).Then I wipe the excess off. Since doing that I have not failed another one due to water intrusion.

BUT, I only use the buttons at battery change & at daylight savings time changes. I'm not sure how it would hold up with continuous button usage   (probably be way better than using nothing though) 

There is always the trick that I learned when I was in the service that works pretty good for keeping water out of things, just pull a condom over it.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, dirtrider said:

There is always the trick that I learned when I was in the service that works pretty good for keeping water out of things, just pull a condom over it.  

I don't think I could explain the presence of a pack of condoms to SWMBOs satisfaction. :dontknow:

Safer to continue stashing the Sena in the tank bag during wet conditions.

If a female news reporter can use a condom on air to protect her mic, you should be in the clear.  :18:

hurricane-ian-microphone-condom-039.webp.2fd41f90e91409bc17e45d9006131cc9.webp

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, lkraus said:

I don't think I could explain the presence of a pack of condoms to SWMBOs satisfaction. :dontknow:

Safer to continue stashing the Sena in the tank bag during wet conditions.

We were at an auction once and the auction people pulled out an old condom dispenser (with some products inside).  I said "wife, that would look really cool next to my rotary dial payphone", she agreed.  I started bidding but when it hit $75, I was out.  She got off her phone and said did you win, "nope, i stopped at $75",....she said, "you shoulda went higher":classic_wacko:

When I was a little boy, fiveish or so, I'd go to the bars with my dad on his weekends, you know the bars, the ones with the steel troughs for urinals and constant running water through it.  Also, in those bathrooms were condom dispenser's.  I didn't know what they were and would ask dad, he'd say they were balloons.  So, in goes the quarter, out comes a nifty pack of balloons.  Dad would say "keep it in your pocket until you get home",.....odd, but it's dad.  So, when dad would drop me at home, I'd fill my balloon with water and then would hear mom say "where'd you get that",....."well, dad got me this balloon",......I do recall those things being a bit hard to pop. 

• Haha 3