IGNORED

Tire choices for the 160/60-18 rear on a 2000R1100 RS

SDCRJohn

My 2000 R1100 RS has the somewhat unique rear tire size of, 160/60-18. In the past, I had been very happy with the handling, comfort and mileage, of the Michelin Pilot Road. Over the years, there were several iterations, PR 1, PR2, PR 3 etc. Well, after the last version, my 160/60-18 size evaporated.

I’m  currently using the AVON ADV 65, which is also called the Storm. They are “OK”, but not as good as the Michelin’s.

So, I’m looking for an alternative, tire that I can match to the front 120/70-17, that offers good handling, mileage, and if possible a comfortable, quiet ride.

Would like to hear of your experiences with an other brands. I think the RT has the same size as well.

Joe Coastie

I've had good luck with the Angel GT from Pirelli.

They also make a GT II but I don't know anything about them.

Hope this helps.

The R1100RT owners have the same issue with 160/60R18 rear tire. According to Cyclegear.com, they only sell four 160/60R18 tires. I got the Perelli Angel GT a few years ago and have been happy with them. Continental also sold that size tire but cycle gear doesn't show them any longer. 

Miguel

jacksdad63

Here in the UK I've selected Bridgestone Battlax BT023 for my 1100RT next. Currently its wearing Avon AV65/66 Storm 3D-XM which seem fine, but are about half worn.

The BT023 should be perfect for the BMW's as they are a true sports touring tyre and give excellent wet weather grip and long life. :thumbsup:

(The pair of BT023 are £264 fitted to loose wheels, digital balance and new valves included, which I feel is a great deal!)

On 5/3/2023 at 8:43 AM, SDCRJohn said:

I’m  currently using the AVON ADV 65, which is also called the Storm. They are “OK”, but not as good as the Michelin’s.

What makes them "not as good" as your Michelins?:dontknow:

I'm running the Avons on my Ducati now and am quite pleased.

jacksdad63

I've been out today in heavy rain, and found the Avons very stable and predictable. I've even searched for replacements but it appears the rears are no longer available in the UK?

Pirelli Angel GT's are readily available, and cheaper than my choice of Battlax BT023, but I'm staying with the latter: I'm sure they will last much longer and are proven to offer excellent wet grip, important here in nothern England! :classic_biggrin: