IGNORED

A lock picker I'm not.

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

Bought a smaller top case for the RT from @Boxflyer at START.  Need to re-key it for single-key convenience.  After watching a few YT vids, I fashioned a lock pick from a hacksaw blade (note: a guy on YT wants $35 for same) and retrieved the barrel from the lock assembly.  Unknown if I'm able to reposition the tumblers to accommodate the ignition key successfully.  May end up sending it to Brad.

Warning!!!  If you try this, extract the barrel assembly over a dark-color cloth or tray because the tumblers and miniscule springs will fall out of the barrel.  If the springs are released into the wild, you will not find them again.  Spring shown next to rice grain.

IMG_9879.JPG      UQWK0327.JPG      CIQW9193.JPG      IMG_9880[1].JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1
roadscholar

The trick to those is to hold the little pins in with your fingers then wrap tape around it then take it to someone that knows what they're doing, that's what I used to do anyway : )

szurszewski
19 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

When this odessey is over, anyone who needs the pick is welcome to it.  Only takes a few minutes to reproduce with a piece of hacksaw and and angle grinder.

Is the purpose of the pick to be able to remove the cylinder without needing the key? 

I've rekeyed 3 topcase cylinders, the first had a pin holding the wafers in place, the other 2 didn't.  That helped a lot.